The annual format-a-thon

I’ve played with it a bit, but most of the systems I’ve been fixing are pretty unique.

I believe there is a smaller version and a dvd iso version with more utilities. I call it my GOD disk now it does so much and you can just fix a-lot. i haven’t formated and reinstalled in a long time ( not personal machine it’s a mac )

I find there are a lot of people opening E. Mail viruses this time of year because the computer-illiterate people are fooled into thinking attachments are virusless e-cards. For example, my mother. This PC has Avast on-access though, thus thwarting the virus’ attempt at killing poor Vanilla-Death by means of exhibit mom over here.

Was over at someone’s house for drinks the other night and they mentioned their internet didnt work for the last day or so…

Checked it out quick…they had been hacked, trojaned and buggered…in a big way.

Didnt spend too much time going over it but I was suspicious of something called FireDaemon.exe that was coming up on boot that was dying right away.

Did a netstat -A and discovered there was a nice warez ftp server running on port 65000. yeesh…gotta love XP and SP2…not!

Part of me wanted to forensically go over the machine but that would have taken hours…told them to save what data they could and reformat/reinstall.

I keep posting about bart… keith ill get you a copy to have with ya… it rocks and would have helped you in this trip.