Teachers Strike

The following is a link to the BCTF Teacher Salary Grid that expired in 2010. You may refer to each District individually. Many SD52 teachers are at maximum in their category due to age and experience: bctf.ca/SalaryAndBenefits.aspx?id=14758

And here is BCTF supplied Provincial Salary comparisons: bctf.ca/uploadedFiles/Public/Bar … nkings.pdf

The length of professional training to become a teacher in BC, AB and SK is 1.6 years. It varies in other parts of Canada from 1 to 3 years. Other general courses make up the remaining credit hours. A BEd (the minimum acceptable level) requires 4 years of credit hours accumulation and any additional bachelor degrees do not directly add to professional teacher training. Not quite the level of expertise required of lawyers and doctors. Or accountants or engineers or nurses or architects or veterinarians or dentists or pharmacists or professors.

STF reports that SK teachers just settled this week for 9% over three years.
SK salary grid: stf.sk.ca/portal.jsp?Sy3uQU … b6en706c=F

The ATA does things a little differently – to no ones surprise: ataloc55.ab.ca/assets/files/ … eement.pdf

$50,000 - $75,000 seems like their paid pretty well, imo. They also get summers off and still making a good payday. Starting off at $40,000 is a respectable starting pay and add in those benefits teachers get like 2 months off in the summer, off on holidays, pension, medical, dental ect it seems like their paid fairly and given the times we’re in, this is pretty fair. I respect that career and think it’s important and they should be paid fairly, to me it seems they are.

Almost anybody can do it? Hmm… I think it would be pretty difficult. My two children drive me crazy sometimes! I imagine it would be pretty difficult to teach a room full of almost twenty children, some who have learning disabilities an all who have different personalities.

[quote=“prpal”]

Almost anybody can do it? Hmm… I think it would be pretty difficult. My two children drive me crazy sometimes! I imagine it would be pretty difficult to teach a room full of almost twenty children, some who have learning disabilities an all who have different personalities.[/quote]

This can be said about many careers… every career can be stressful. Paramedics make $2 an hour on call and that’s a stressful job, RCMP make about the same as teachers and I’d say that’s higher stress, nurses as well most careers have stress. Teachers seem fairly paid when most seem to be in the $50,000 - $75,000 salary range, I don’t think their in need of a increase, we have other areas that can use this money.

More funding needs to be allocated to educate people on the proper use of “there”, “their” and “they’re”.

Just sayin’.

As well as “then” and “than” and one of my favourites, “seen”. “I seen a bear today”

[quote=“Sir Ryan of Last”]More funding needs to be allocated to educate people on the proper use of “there”, “their” and “they’re”.

Just sayin’.[/quote]

I believe people should be outfitted with an electric shock collar that can detect the improper use of there, their, they’re, you, your, you’re etc. my grammar is far from perfect but for fucksakes.1!@@@$

Just a note that the 1.6 years is after you get a bachelor’s degree of some sort, generally. I was looking at it back in school. 5.5 to 6 years to be a teacher, if you do well in your classes, of course. And the entrance requirements to be a teacher are brutally high at many schools.

Yikes! with the time off teachers get they make $56 dollars an hour!!! yeah they don’t need a raise.

taxpayer.com/blog/02-03-2012/bc- … eally-make

[quote=“wmcduff”]

Just a note that the 1.6 years is after you get a bachelor’s degree of some sort, generally. I was looking at it back in school. 5.5 to 6 years to be a teacher, if you do well in your classes, of course. And the entrance requirements to be a teacher are brutally high at many schools.[/quote]

Actually, one year of “professional studies” whether after degree (BEAD) or not. See CTF link: news.uchicago.edu/article/2010/0 … erformance

[quote=“Sir Ryan of Last”]More funding needs to be allocated to educate people on the proper use of “there”, “their” and “they’re”.

Just sayin’.[/quote]

either you know your shit, or you know you’re shit

Youze sees these…alot
work.lifegoesstrong.com/article/ … -look-dumb

The 1.6 to 2 years being referenced in all of these articles is what as known as a post degree program. UVIC , UNBC, etc. offer theses programs in BC (yes that is were we live…there is no need to compare us to other provinces or states as people from those areas could not teach k-12 in this province without certification). Each year there are many people who apply to the program, but due to the caliber of the applicants most universities can be very particular as to who is admitted to the program.

That being said there are people who are teaching in our area who have no formal training as a teacher; most have advanced degrees in a specific field and we should all thank them for the time they put into teaching our children, others have been hired when no other qualified applicants have applied. If you were to look closely at the licensing standards all teachers (including those who do not have a formal education degree) must pass to receive certification in BC you will surely recognize that teachers deserve to be listened to.

I trust the teachers that are capably teaching my children. I applaud them and wish them luck with their current job action.

[quote=“jekmg”]The 1.6 to 2 years being referenced in all of these articles is what as known as a post degree program. UVIC , UNBC, etc. offer theses programs in BC (yes that is were we live…there is no need to compare us to other provinces or states as people from those areas could not teach k-12 in this province without certification). Each year there are many people who apply to the program, but due to the caliber of the applicants most universities can be very particular as to who is admitted to the program.

That being said there are people who are teaching in our area who have no formal training as a teacher; most have advanced degrees in a specific field and we should all thank them for the time they put into teaching our children, others have been hired when no other qualified applicants have applied. If you were to look closely at the licensing standards all teachers (including those who do not have a formal education degree) must pass to receive certification in BC you will surely recognize that teachers deserve to be listened to.

I trust the teachers that are capably teaching my children. I applaud them and wish them luck with their current job action.[/quote]

Please read: bctf.ca/SalaryAndBenefits.aspx?id=4750

You do know that the TQS has nothing to do with actual teacher certification, right? All the TQS does is put a teacher at a certain pay scale. This is directly based to the amount of education you have. For example, if someone is teaching and has an old education degree (once upon a time, you only needed a 4 year degree to teach), they are a Category 4. They will get less than someone coming out of university today with a teaching degree (Either a 5 year BED, or a 4 year BA or BSc plus 16 very intense months of Post Degree Program), who would be Category 5. Those with Masters get Category 6, and so on. You can’t get a TQS rating without post secondary education. It simply has to do with pay, nothing more.

Certification happens through the BC College of Teachers, not the TQS.

[quote=“tekkitten”]You do know that the TQS has nothing to do with actual teacher certification, right? All the TQS does is put a teacher at a certain pay scale. This is directly based to the amount of education you have. For example, if someone is teaching and has an old education degree (once upon a time, you only needed a 4 year degree to teach), they are a Category 4. They will get less than someone coming out of university today with a teaching degree (Either a 5 year BED, or a 4 year BA or BSc plus 16 very intense months of Post Degree Program), who would be Category 5. Those with Masters get Category 6, and so on. You can’t get a TQS rating without post secondary education. It simply has to do with pay, nothing more.

Certification happens through the BC College of Teachers, not the TQS.[/quote]

Uh huh, knew that. Guess you missed the link to BC Ministry in the previous link. Here it is again: bcteacherregulation.ca/Teac … rview.aspx

You do know that BCCT no longer carries out the duties of teacher certification? Belongs to BC Ministry of Education…also pointed out in the link mentioned previously…but again here: bcteacherregulation.ca/OurFuture/QandA.aspx

All I know is that, when I pay to keep my certification active I pay the BCCT. Although its probably a branch of the Ministry of Education. Either that or its a very recent transfer?

The BCCT no longer exists, however I believe your money is safe.

bctf.ca/uploadedFiles/Public/Pro … -11-15.pdf

The Teachers’ Act (Bill 12) repealed the legislation and formed the basis of a new Teachers’ Council, the BCTC, on the premise of being a more balanced and equitable decision-making body. Appointments and nominations for positions is underway. You may remember Avi Gupta? He is running for this region.

blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/01/0 … s-no-more/

The BCCT’s final official disciplinary act was to render their decision on a Michael Kolesar from School District A.B…

vancouversun.com/news/teache … story.html

Wading in on this topic, if you actually added up the hours a teacher works which ( for the teachers I know and there are quite a few!) your day doesn’t start at 845 and end at 315 it is usually a 10 hour day most times 6-7 days per week. So 10 hr day x 6 = 60 hours per week x 40 ( start in mid august out last week of June as an example) so 2400 working hours, I work a 800-430 job x 5 days a week for 2080 hrs a year less vacation of 3 weeks for 1940 hours per year for work, entry level wage of $40,000/ 2400 = 16.66/hr and top wage of $75,000 /2400 $31.25 nothing like the other rates posted in here. You can’t really state " oh they get this paid they have sick time etc " and add it to the $50 per hour thrown around, this is a benefit that has been neogatiated and is loaded into the wage rate if I remember my payroll days ( its been a few years now) it is a cost factor that has a formula I think it may come in at $3-$5 an hour so the wage rate would go up to19.66/21.66 to 34.25/$36.25, I for one would not could not teach my children I struggle enough with the homework, and yes we are taxpayers who fund this, but when you put things in perspective, look how much the fricking libs put into the HST debacle which they still have no idea on how to correct this boo boo … so far I have heard over 23 million has been spent on this. Without Dr, nurses, teachers, police, fireman paramedics and yes even lawyers we would be a much sicker clueless unlawful fire starting accidents waiting to happen. Bargaining is just that, you start high and hopeful that you can come out some where in the middle with give and take but you can’t do that when one side won’t bargain. I think this could be a long haul … lots of other labour contracts are due and it could be the straw that broke the liberals backs just saying!

cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/20 … trike.html

The " net zero" clause seems to have been the major stumbling block in starting a negotiating process.

gov.bc.ca/citz/down/BCPSEA_B … 232012.pdf

scroll ahead to page 4.

This is not a new item that was put on the table.

So my question,

Why all the rhetoric regarding class size or any other topic I see on signs? The real issue is wages/ salary.

I’m sorry. 15% over 3 years is note boding well with public opinion, especially when 130 (or so) out of 176 labor organizations in B.C. have signed an agreement based on a ‘net zero’ ideology.