Teachers Strike

Hey what is the 411 on the teachers strike, i heard there is no school on monday?

any truth to this?

According to the BCTF, yes. vancouversun.com/news/teache … story.html

Pineridge Elementary didn’t even inform us of this.

I hope they get what they need. There are alot of good teachers in Prince Rupert. That work, before the school day, after the school day, nights, weekends and longer hours than they are compensated for; because they care about their students.

^ EXACTLY!!

Teachers do NOT work 9 to 3… they work 8 to 5, sometimes 8 to 6 and many go in on the weekends for a few hours.

I fully support teachers and this strike.

Even the PRDTU President didn’t know until after the BCTF Prez announce the plan to the media. Don’t forget, the teachers’ federation is just the first public service union in Christy’s Liberal Party sites.

And don’t forget, Her Highness and her gov’t face a general in <500 days!

I’m just sayin’…

so it’s a three day strike?.. I don’t fully understand where this all goes after Wednesday?.. will there be further job action from the teachers, or will Crusty Clark just force them into another unfair contract?.. seems futile

Seen on Global News that Students are planning walkout at 2 p.m. to support teachers.

“On Friday, students across province plan to walk out of their schools in support of their teachers, who are set to strike on Monday. The students say they are not skipping school, they are standing up for education. The movement is being organized mainly through social media.”

facebook.com/events/397479050266901/

On Friday, students across B.C. plan to walk out of their classrooms to show their support for their teachers.
B.C. teachers are set to strike on Monday and can legally strike for three days.

The student walkout event is being planned mainly through social media. So far, there are more than 15,000 people signed up to attend the B.C. High School Student Walkout event on Facebook. It remains to be seen how many of those students will actually walkout on Friday afternoon.

87% of teachers voted to strike in a province-wide strike vote conducted on Tuesday and Wednesday.

#bcstudentswalkout is the hashtag being used on Twitter to organize the event.

Read it on Global News: Global BC | B.C. students use social media to plan walkout

15% over three years is too much though, I don’t support that. In this economic climate with the public paying the cost I think 9% over three years is more realistic.

They can legally strike for 3 days, then once a week for each consecutive week until the agreement is ratified - is the way I heard it. BUT… in 2005 (I believe it was) they carried out a 2-3 week ILLEGAL strike and I would say that is not beneath them to do so this time around either.

Any idea how many students in the North have walked out?

What do teachers even make? (inb4notenoughcomment) anyone know what they averages or if there is a pay scale for them? if their not being paid fairly then sure but I thought they made good money?.

Without teachers, we would have nothing. We wouldn’t have doctors, lawyers, accountants, engineers, etc. They deserve everything that they are asking for and more.

What kind of logic is that? Teaching is an important profession, but let’s face it, almost anybody can do it. The bulldozer operator is a teacher when he passes on his knowledge to an apprentice. Volunteer coaches are teachers, parents are teachers every day of their life. Scout leaders, band leaders, preachers, hell even the guy giving pottery lessons on YouTube are teachers. You imply that without this batch of teachers the world would grind to a halt.

IMO teachers should pull the 15% wage increase off the table and go for other concessions. The climate is not good right now for them to argue for a raise and the majority of public opinion is against them asking for more money. Instead of a salary increase they should hammer the government for other concessions and hammer them hard. Next contract negotiate for a raise using the fact they went without in order for a better environment for the students.

I used a very similar technique to get 8 weeks of vacation/yr out of a previous employer and then after 4 years got a nice hefty raise (almost doubled my salary).

Teaching, true teaching, is more of an art than a profession. Teachers should be one of the most highly paid of the professions. Yes, right up there with doctors and, ahem, lawyers.

At least give them a cost-of-inflation wage increase.

Most of you understand the 15% increase over three years is a beginning bargaining position by the teachers. If the government was serious about doing their fricken jobs they would have more of an offer than “NO”.

I disagree totally that teachers be paid at the same rate as doctors. Not even close. I don’t think they should go for more concessions either, they get good vacation benefits, sick leave, pension, professional development etc. I think a 2%-3% wage increase is reasonable. More than most out there will get this year given the economic times.

You’ve got to agree that teachers are more valuable than lawyers though.

LOL, yes indeed.

(subject to change my answer if I ever really need a good lawyer!)

[quote=“Soggy”]

Teaching, true teaching, is more of an art than a profession. Teachers should be one of the most highly paid of the professions. Yes, right up there with doctors and, ahem, lawyers.

At least give them a cost-of-inflation wage increase.

Most of you understand the 15% increase over three years is a beginning bargaining position by the teachers. If the government was serious about doing their fricken jobs they would have more of an offer than “NO”.[/quote]

Something tells me your a teacher, they should not make that much that your claiming. How much are they making now?