Teacher lockout

Apparently the teachers are now locked out until 45 minutes before class, during lunch and once 45 minutes after class is over. Extra curricular activities have been going on until now. How is that supposed to happen under these new circumstances? How are they supposed to fit grad and report cards In during that time frame?

Where is the missing Jennifer Rice? Why has she no comment on why the Liberal government has made this decision?

[quote=“stillhere”]Apparently the teachers are now locked out until 45 minutes before class, during lunch and once 45 minutes after class is over. Extra curricular activities have been going on until now. How is that supposed to happen under these new circumstances? How are they supposed to fit grad and report cards In during that time frame?

Where is the missing Jennifer Rice? Why has she no comment on why the Liberal government has made this decision?[/quote]

I have not heard anything from the NDP during all this, curious how they would be handling this. Also from what I have heard/read exams/report cards and Grad are not suppose to be effected. I’m curious if class size and composition are a factor here. I also looked up wages for our district, that was interesting reading.

Marking of Provincial exams could be affected

The sequence of events involved in the ‘lock out’ imposition is interesting. You might want to follow it to understand why there is confusion about exam marking, grads, etc.

The sequence starts with a letter to the BCTF from BCPSEA (you can find a link to the letter on this page): keep in mind the letter has apparently been ‘leaked’.

theprovince.com/business/tea … story.html

You might then want to view the BCTF response to the letter – whether or not you support the teachers – many of the points raised by the BCTF President seem somewhat reasonable based solely on the letter. (It might be difficult to ignore some of the political noise accompanying the concerns – but try!)

Again it might be difficult to ignore some of the political noise accompanying the response, but try! It appears that the Chief Negotiator for BCPSEA suggests that what letter states and the intent were two different things: i.e. the explanation of how exams will be marked during the lock out.

At about 2:25 into the video Cameron answers the question as to whether or not class size and composition might be part of the concerns discussed between the BCTF and BCPSEA.

Until the letter is rescinded or revised, I would assume that, as the only written document giving teachers direction, any breaking of the terms imposed by the lock out letter could lead to teacher discipline – up to and including dismissal.

Maybe the letter needs to be revised so that what is stated and the intent match.

Just curious, but were teachers allowed to participate in Grad festivities this past weekend??

Hey You Teachers!

Be quiet on the picket line next time, the Publisher wants to nap!

thenorthernview.com/opinion/261727961.html

And in Breaking news, the Northern View discovers that students like to skip school!

thenorthernview.com/news/261850601.html

No rest for the wicked it seems. The publisher’s nap time is likely to be interrupted once again.

B.C. teachers considering full-scale strike