Taser Inquiry

How about the idea that better training in hand-to-hand combat, submission techniques is needed for officers?  A skilled fighter should be able to subdue a person.  If a person is armed with a weapon ( knife, baseball bat, club, gun, etc.) then, sure, they should be tazered or shot.  Don’t officers carry batons (night sticks) anymore?
Four police officers should have been able to easily subdue one confused, unarmed man at YVR.

[quote=“hitest”]
How about the idea that better training in hand-to-hand combat, submission techniques is needed for officers?  A skilled fighter should be able to subdue a person.  If a person is armed with a weapon ( knife, baseball bat, club, gun, etc.) then, sure, they should be tazered or shot.  Don’t officers carry batons (night sticks) anymore?
Four police officers should have been able to easily subdue one confused, unarmed man at YVR.[/quote]

I think better training is something that would be hard to argue against. As a citizen of this country, I want the best possible training for the police who are out there keeping me safe.

Officers do still carry baton’s. They are telescopic.

I’m not going to get into a debate or discussion about this inquiry. I just thought I would interject some information on CEW’s in general.

[quote=“CrazyMike”]
I predicted long ago that they would end up moving CEW’s to a higher level on the Use of Force Model, and that’s exactly what’s happening. It’s too good a tool to eliminate and let’s face it: Despite it’s links to the deaths of people, it’s nice to have an option other than shooting them.[/quote]

I agree with you (and I remember you predicting it) that moving Tasers to a higher level is a good thing.  

It’s also an admission by the RCMP that they were wrong to have it as an option for dealing with simple noncompliance.  It’s also an admission by the RCMP that their training since adopting the Taser has been wrong.

Instead of having the Taser as an alternative to any force (including simply putting a hand on a guy’s shoulder), the Taser is now an alternative to deadly force.  Ironically, I think most Canadians thought that’s what it was in the first place.

I’ve never had either deployed against me, but I’m not entirely certain that I’d rather be beaten with a baton than Tazered.

[quote=“MiG”]
Instead of having the Taser as an alternative to any force (including simply putting a hand on a guy’s shoulder), the Taser is now an alternative to deadly force.  Ironically, I think most Canadians thought that’s what it was in the first place.[/quote]

Boy have you hit the nail on the head. With such a difference between the general public’s understanding and the actual use, is there any wonder there is so much outrage against Tasers?

Thanks for that information, CrazyMike.

Finally, you said Tasers. I was getting tired of that pretentious CEW crap.

Instead of tasers…police should try switching to “Net Guns”

Or LED Incapacitators:

Awesome!

And when things get really out of hand (bar crowd perhaps)

lmao

Whenever anyone yells “choose your weapon!” I always reach for the stapler.

A recent report in the media about many of these weapons being tested at independent facilities and found to be faulty and having been recalled, due to the power released being greater than manufacturers specs, among other problems. Which included the model used in this incident?

Latest fall out from the inquiry has the Attorney General Wally Oppal suggesting that the officers in question may yet face charges over their actions…

theprovince.com/RCMP+officer … story.html