Takeover long time coming!

Well. Sitting around with a bunch of friends last night talking about our poor little town.
One of the guys and his wife commenting on their to Terrace yesterday, a little shopping
and having their truck serviced at he dealership. Bought the truck in Terrace last year,
and will only take it to Terrace for servicing, no way in hell going to the dealer in town!
She likes the fact that a courtesy car is provided and some shopping can be done
while the truck is in the shop.
This, he said won’t last much longer as he was told that McCarthy GM has bought out Sherman GM!
Hopefully with the takeover some new life will injected into this rather shabby looking business.
A full lot of cars and trucks available for the public to paruse, rather than a half empty lot
with a sprinkling of vehicles available. Maybe with the takeover some selection will be available
like that of the other dealers in town.

They’ve been in and out of talks for years (the rumour anyway).
I’m surprised Gary would buy it.
I would think we would get higher profits from leaving Sherman in place.
That coupled with the reality that Larry has not done the “Winning Image” remodel I’m amazed GM hasn’t pulled his franchise.
If he has bought it, I would think it would only be as a satelite store (like Ford).
The money it would require to purchase, update and operate would be massive for the population it would serve.
But here’s hoping…

Seems I’m wrong.
The sale is not a myth.

I’ve heard rumours of the bus company moving off of second avenue and into the Sherman GM location. If so, that would support the idea of a satellite dealership like Ford, as you mentioned.

interesting and could be possible,Greyhound has applied to reduce the number of runs, so possibly the reduced traffic could make the location at the highliner unsustainable.

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

interesting and could be possible,Greyhound has applied to reduce the number of runs, so possibly the reduced traffic could make the location at the highliner unsustainable.[/quote]

You’re right there “jamesbrown” as they would like to reduce our runs to 2 per week. For those that have vehicles, that is probably no big deal but I am epileptic and though I can drive, am not allowed by law. I am sick and tired of almost being held hostage in this place. The airfares are terrible as I can travel from Van. to TO for cheaper than I can from here to Van. Would like to go down for a few days before X-Mas, do some shopping etc. but for 2 of us with fare and hotel etc. for 3 days would cost almost $2000. !! And try to co-ordinate your bus schedule to travel to Van. is unreal ! And not too cheap either, neither are the ferry or the train. Some of the folks on here who think we complain too much should maybe walk in others’ shoes for a bit, not all of us have the chance to just drive out of here on a whim! It sucks sometimes! Always dependent upon others to even get a day out to Terrace!

I was referring to Farwest, or First bus lines as they’re now called. Not Greyhound.

Greyhound is planning to cut some routes also, don’t know how many though. Supposedly Jan./Apr. 2013

[quote=“Jazella”]

Greyhound is planning to cut some routes also, don’t know how many though. Supposedly Jan./Apr. 2013[/quote]

Maybe so but to my knowledge that has nothing to do with the Sherman GM location.

[quote=“codybear933”]

interesting and could be possible,Greyhound has applied to reduce the number of runs, so possibly the reduced traffic could make the location at the highliner unsustainable.
You’re right there “jamesbrown” as they would like to reduce our runs to 2 per week. For those that have vehicles, that is probably no big deal but I am epileptic and though I can drive, am not allowed by law. I am sick and tired of almost being held hostage in this place. The airfares are terrible as I can travel from Van. to TO for cheaper than I can from here to Van. Would like to go down for a few days before X-Mas, do some shopping etc. but for 2 of us with fare and hotel etc. for 3 days would cost almost $2000. !! And try to co-ordinate your bus schedule to travel to Van. is unreal ! And not too cheap either, neither are the ferry or the train. Some of the folks on here who think we complain too much should maybe walk in others’ shoes for a bit, not all of us have the chance to just drive out of here on a whim! It sucks sometimes! Always dependent upon others to even get a day out to Terrace![/quote]

I think it’s Via that wants to cut to 2 runs a week. Greyhound is after just having a run a day i read… which would mean no night buses… You could still go back and forth in day to terrace, i think the days where there are no morning buses now might be restarted who knows… Yes cody bear I know it’s costly getting out of here, I used to go on AirMiles but they have made it harder. AC Jazz reduced the size of the morning aircraft most mornings as well… BC Ferries also wants to cut possibly the winter runs to Port Hardy… I keep waiting for this boom people talk about… the link below explains Greyhound’s cuts

terracestandard.com/news/174 … &bc09=true

Back to the topic.

First Bus moving to the Sherman GM property seems pretty logical. Lot’s of space for their rotting charter fleets from the 80’s, and perhaps in a less exposed area so they can train to improve their horrid baggage handling skills.

This is 100% not true, total crap.

Sherman GM has not been sold to the terrace dealership.

[quote=“woodnfood”]Well. Sitting around with a bunch of friends last night talking about our poor little town.
One of the guys and his wife commenting on their to Terrace yesterday, a little shopping
and having their truck serviced at he dealership. Bought the truck in Terrace last year,
and will only take it to Terrace for servicing, no way in hell going to the dealer in town!
She likes the fact that a courtesy car is provided and some shopping can be done
while the truck is in the shop.
This, he said won’t last much longer as he was told that McCarthy GM has bought out Sherman GM!
Hopefully with the takeover some new life will injected into this rather shabby looking business.
A full lot of cars and trucks available for the public to paruse, rather than a half empty lot
with a sprinkling of vehicles available. Maybe with the takeover some selection will be available
like that of the other dealers in town.[/quote]

edit

UMMM Yes it is. I spoke with Larry Sherman the other night and he told me that terrace was buying him out

Good that dealership looks crap. Who would even want to buy a car from them realllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I bought two from them

Well if you like GM vehicles you have no other option besides out of town or there. So it don’t really matter how it looks I guess on the outside.

[quote=“codybear933”]

You’re right there “jamesbrown” as they would like to reduce our runs to 2 per week. For those that have vehicles, that is probably no big deal but I am epileptic and though I can drive, am not allowed by law. I am sick and tired of almost being held hostage in this place. The airfares are terrible as I can travel from Van. to TO for cheaper than I can from here to Van. Would like to go down for a few days before X-Mas, do some shopping etc. but for 2 of us with fare and hotel etc. for 3 days would cost almost $2000. !! And try to co-ordinate your bus schedule to travel to Van. is unreal ! And not too cheap either, neither are the ferry or the train. Some of the folks on here who think we complain too much should maybe walk in others’ shoes for a bit, not all of us have the chance to just drive out of here on a whim! It sucks sometimes! Always dependent upon others to even get a day out to Terrace![/quote]

Hey Codybear … the train isn’t that expensive and I found it to be almost the same price as the bus. Although, it is a long trip BUT other than a lay-over in PG overnight, it takes almost the same amount of time. If you go with the attitude of adventure, take snacks and coffee; laptop or DVD player etc, it can be 24 hours of forced down-time. OR – 12 hours and you could be in PG – shop for a day or two and train it back. It’s a good way to get out of “Dodge”. Remember with the increased CN traffic, there are delays but you can even charge your technology on the train.

Thank you for the info! I love the train and don’t care about the travel time or the wait time either, love to travel. Just nice to get away from here, once in awhile !!