Suggestions for a VPN?

I want to start using a VPN so that I can (a) increase my security and (b) start watching American Netflix etc. There are so many VPN options out there - what are some or one that you would recommend? What do you use and what is the cost? Thanks

I use three different solutions, depending on what Iā€™m doing :slight_smile:

1. I roll my own vpn on a server I rented in the states (same datacenter as this website). This is the one I use for Netflix and when Iā€™m on public wifi, etc. Price is like $10/month, but I use the server for a lot of other stuff too.

2. I use Private Tunnel ā€“ hereā€™s a referral link: https://www.privatetunnel.com/index.php?referral=CM5SZSYOZK (refer friends for more data, just like I did there). Thereā€™s a free account you can sign up there to see if it works for you.

Works with openvpn on all kinds of devices, computers, etc. I use this when I want privacy or to get around ā€˜blockedā€™ sites, etc.

1. I use tigervpn for European stuff ā€“ like streaming soccer games and when I donā€™t want my ISP to see what Iā€™m downloading :slight_smile: I signed up for a lifetime account a while back for something like $30.
2 Likes

I use privateinternetaccess.com and use ddwrt on my router. One of the most recommended vpn companies for torrents. I have been with them for 2 years and am very happy.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, MiG! Is there a relatively inexpensive choice that is operating system agnostic? Iā€™m running iOS (iPads), Windows 10 Pro, Slackware, and OpenBSD.

All of those mentioned in this thread work with linux, windows, macOS, iOS, Android.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, MiG.

Several years later! Haha. I went with NordVPN today. Iā€™m a slow learner. NordVPN works well on Windows 10 Pro, Debian, and on my One Plus 7T.

Thanks for all of your help. :slight_smile:

If itā€™s just for privacy, Iā€™d go with Cloudflare Warp.

https://1.1.1.1/warp

Itā€™s free. Uses wireguard, so itā€™s fast.

1 Like

Thanks MiG! Iā€™ll take a look at Cloudfare Warp when my NordVPN subscription lapses in 2 years. So far NordVPN is working well on Windows and Linux.

I took NordVPN off my phone and put Cloudfare Warp on it. Itā€™s ripping fast! Iā€™ll keep NordVPN on my PCs until my contract is up then move to Cloudfare. Thanks MiG!

Itā€™s basically a wireguard VPN direct to Cloudflare. So not only are you getting a great VPN, but the server itself is probably very close to you as well.

If you check http://speed.cloudflare.com ā€“ youā€™ll see the ā€œclosestā€ Cloudflare CDN, which is probably Vancouver.

On top of that, thereā€™s this bit ā€¦

Iā€™ve been using Private Internet Access for a couple of months now, but its month to month payment, so maybe its time to switch to free Cloudflareā€¦Its just to watch European shows.

Question, can I use it to switch my Netflix to the British or American NF feed?

Cloudflareā€™s VPN is about privacy and speed. But it connects you to the nearest Cloudflare server / CDN location. You donā€™t get to choose where, unfortunately.

So itā€™s not going to mask your location. It will appear you are in Vancouver, Seattle, or Calgary, for example.

I find that for European / UK shows, I just download them and put them on plex. If you send me a PM or email or something, I can add you to it :slight_smile: