Spring 2015 Community Update

The City of Prince Rupert is pleased to announce our Spring 2015 Community Update! This comprehensive update is the first of many to come, and is part of our continuing efforts to keep our residents informed and our operations transparent and open to the public.

Topics included in the Spring 2015 update are:

• Operational and Capital Budget for 2015
  • Planning for Major Projects Budget 2015-2019
  • Council’s approval of a full time Mayor
  • Housing Update
  • Reports: Infrastructure, Planning for Growth, & City’s LNG ‘Go Plan’

Download the Spring 2015 Community Update PDF:

princerupert.ca/sites/defaul … _FINAL.pdf

Press Release:

princerupert.ca/cityhall/news

YouTube Video Update Link:

youtu.be/wvdIen5riqk

Thank you Mr. Mayor.

I have some questions and comments if you don’t mind.

About major projects, there is $150,000 allocated annually for public engagement and community consultation. While I appreciate your efforts in keeping people informed, this number seems excessive. How can you justify spending over $10,000 per month on this?

I support the decision to have a full time mayor. For the little extra it costs, it’s worth it. It should have been done long ago.

The infrastructure deficit report says that $7.2 million is needed for vehicles yet the city vehicles seem to quite new and the fire department has a new ladder truck and from what I hear a new rescue truck. Why $7.2 million?

What are the details behind the modified ferry route?

Future planning shows $1.6 million annually for bridge maintenance. Why so much each year?

Secondary fire protection to port Ed at $10 million capital cost and 1.4 per year operating. What does that mean?

Thank you

[quote=“Crazy Train”]Thank you Mr. Mayor.

I have some questions and comments if you don’t mind.

About major projects, there is $150,000 allocated annually for public engagement and community consultation. While I appreciate your efforts in keeping people informed, this number seems excessive. How can you justify spending over $10,000 per month on this?

I support the decision to have a full time mayor. For the little extra it costs, it’s worth it. It should have been done long ago.

The infrastructure deficit report says that $7.2 million is needed for vehicles yet the city vehicles seem to quite new and the fire department has a new ladder truck and from what I hear a new rescue truck. Why $7.2 million?

What are the details behind the modified ferry route?

Future planning shows $1.6 million annually for bridge maintenance. Why so much each year?

Secondary fire protection to port Ed at $10 million capital cost and 1.4 per year operating. What does that mean?

Thank you[/quote]

The secondary fire protection to Port Ed is what concerns me…wtf are WE paying for Port Edward fire service? Seems their taxpayers should be footing the entire bill for that if you ask me.

I’m assuming that there will be some kind of financial offset due to likely industrial development but I’m waiting to hear the details from our mayor. Until we hear more, the information he provided leaves a lot open to speculation.

Bumping this thread up in hope that the mayor replies.

youtu.be/K8E_zMLCRNg

Why can’t you just e-mail him?

It’s his thread so it seems fair that I would reply to his post on here. If I email then I have to start the discussion over again.

Mayor Brain has made 16 new posts on his Facebook page since my initial questions were posed so I know that his computer is not broken. I have to wonder why he would post the information that he did if he were not willing or able to answer questions about it. Increased transparency and better public engagement eh? I appreciate parts of the communication that has been offered but if only some information is released and questions are not answered then it really only creates more questions.

Why can’t you just go on FB and ask him?

I could but, again, he chose this medium as a way to communicate with the people of the community. I’m not calling him out on HTMF, I’m merely responding to his post in his thread. If he doesn’t want to respond to questions here, but will on Facebook, then don’t use this forum as a communication tool.

If he’s paid attention to this site, which it seems that he has, he’ll know that I wasn’t a big supporter during his campaign and was pulling for Jack. I’m giving him opportunities to convince me that I was wrong and to increase his support but he seems comfortable with the support he has and may not be interested in gathering any more. I don’t know. I want to root for Lee but I’m still quite unsure. This doesn’t help.