Social Network Passwords and the NDP

thetyee.ca/News/2011/03/03/SimonsPasswords/

I really don’t understand this policy. Why would they need the passwords. I am not sure how Twitter works, but don’t you just have to become a friend to see what is publicly available on Facebook.

Isn’t giving up your password like allowing someone to go through your private mail and emails.

They’re politicians/bureaucrats making rules. Brain doesn’t engage.
No shit. My little sister at 5 years old could beat any sitting politician at checkers. If they were Tories, BC Liberals or Republicans I’d put money on it.

They want all of your social network passwords so you can run for leadership?
Why the hell would they want that? That’s complete bull. Talk about an invasion of privacy. On the other hand, I guess the party wants to see if the candidates have any"skeletons in the closet" that can be dragged up later on. Still, seems disgusting and somewhat illegal.

apparently they want the passwords so they can go into your facebook or any of your social network site to see if there is anything that might be embarassing that might pop up during an election, never mind taking your word for it.

I understand that. Lots of weird stuff pops up on facebook. I would expect all politicians to allow their party to be able to see what is on the public page. For example, I can see them joining HTMF to see what statements I might have written. But wouldn’t giving them my password allow them to see any private message I might have sent to someone on this site.

The moderators keep reminding us that we are not totally anonymous here. And we are not totally anonymous on facebook or other internet sites. But isn’t there a limit to how much we should be forced to divulge?

[quote=“DWhite”]

The moderators keep reminding us that we are not totally anonymous here. And we are not totally anonymous on facebook or other internet sites. But isn’t there a limit to how much we should be forced to divulge?[/quote]

Yeah. We are certainly not anonymous on here or on FB (I keep reminding my 16 year old of that fact). :smile:
I’m glad that the NDP MLA refused to divulge his social media site passwords.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“DWhite”]

The moderators keep reminding us that we are not totally anonymous here. And we are not totally anonymous on facebook or other internet sites. But isn’t there a limit to how much we should be forced to divulge?[/quote]

Yeah. We are certainly not anonymous on here or on FB (I keep reminding my 16 year old of that fact). :smile:
I’m glad that the NDP MLA refused to divulge his social media site passwords.[/quote]

When I was 16 I thought I knew everything. Now that I’m 23, I know I don’t know some things, but I figure I know most things… :stuck_out_tongue: