So Why Prince Rupert?

So Why Prince Rupert?
I understand that the scenery is amazing but really why stay around all the year when unemployment is rising and there doesn’t look there’s going to be a boom any time soon. You would think that more people would leave but instead they stay.

But on the other hand, if you have a good job then you are set. What do is with Prince Rupert that people don’t like? Is it the businesses that are not up to date or the building falling down? Can it be restore? Not enough community centers?

If someone could help me out with this…

it is what it is right? And your life is exactly what you choose to make of it. It’s never all good or all bad. Many have left either by choice or necessity, those of us that choose to stay obviously have our reasons. Make the best of your choices and your life. In the words of Sheryl Crow, “it’s not having what you want, it’s wanting what you have.”

Or in the words of Stephen Stills: “If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with.”

[quote=“DWhite”]

Or in the words of Stephen Stills: “If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with.”[/quote]

" I do. " Oh wait, I think I said that before…

Or in the words of Steven Wright:

Or in the words of TLC:

“Don’t go chasing waterfalls!”

:wink:

Oh I completely understand that… Trust me
But I was wondering is Prince Rupert in need of repairing? like their buildings

repairs needed yes but a lot need to be knocked down

What needs to be knock down What type of buildings/ businesses are they?

houses some apts old dairy queen building old home hardware building just lots of buildings not being used. shopping is better in terrace or elsewhere

And the shopping will never get better, since people insist on going to terrace and not shopping here. Where’s the incentive to open up anything but a liquor store in town? No one shops here… The product the small business owners buy, sits on the shelf…

yea im not gonna buy in town when i can get it online cheaper or in terrace . sorry i value my dollar more i guess instead of supporting a business just to keep them afloat. i dont work just to keep other fed i work to keep my wife and 3 kids fed

Why complain about lack of shopping then?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

Why complain about lack of shopping then?[/quote]

i didnt i said there was lots of empty storefronts i explained why. he was wondering how the town is with buildings etc

Bubba, I think most of us go to Terrace just to get away from Rupert for a day so if we happen to shop there, who cares? I shop a great deal online as there is nothing here except clothes for teens and I am FAR from that! Am I to be condemned too for not spending my hard earned dollars in Rupert? I shop at Safeway, Overwaitea, Reitmans and Zellers and I spend a great deal but I would love to shop at Homeworks for example also as they have some beautiful items but the prices are crazy ! What is a person to do? Go into more debt just to keep our dollars here?

[quote=“codybear933”]

Bubba, I think most of us go to Terrace just to get away from Rupert for a day so if we happen to shop there, who cares? I shop a great deal online as there is nothing here except clothes for teens and I am FAR from that! Am I to be condemned too for not spending my hard earned dollars in Rupert? I shop at Safeway, Overwaitea, Reitmans and Zellers and I spend a great deal but I would love to shop at Homeworks for example also as they have some beautiful items but the prices are crazy ! What is a person to do? Go into more debt just to keep our dollars here?[/quote]

No condemning here. It’s just a fact, unless people start to shop in prince rupert, there will never be any big box stores, no new businesses, nothing, Rupert will die…

rupert will not die because we dont shop at our crappy overpriced stores. eventually we will have big box stores as well . population will increase with port expansion. takes time for things to happen

i am one of the oddballs in Prince Rupert. I came here after being laid off down south and not able to find any other jobs. My goal was to find work back south but after hundreds and hundreds of resumes I ended up taking work here. Then I met a guy from here and started a relationship. Suddenly out of the blue I get laid off from my job here and because I suffer a chronic illness that is made worse by wet weather we are trying to leave. Once again i have sent resume after resume after resume out of town. I have come to believe that you have to be on the ground, pounding pavement and knocking on doors to get a interview. I had hoped to be able to get some retraining due to a disability but I don’t qualify for assistance from EI because of my living situation. So i feel stuck in a town that to me is going nowhere and offers no employment in my field. I hate the weather, i hate the isolation, i hate the expense of getting in and out of here or the time spent driving. I want to leave but can’t afford to leave till i find employment somewhere and can’t find employment unless i leave…stuck. I know long time residents love it here and they all talk about how friendly and warm this town is. I find it the opposite, i find it to be a clicky town where who you know is important. I don’t believe this town is ever going to boom again. As far as spending dollars I spend tons of them at Safeway but pretty much the rest of my limited shopping is done out of here. My shopping dollars are few though so not much spent on anything but vacations to the SUN and HEAT! Oh ya, i can handle all the rotting old buildings, what i can’t handle is the grey, grey, days and summer that hits 17 and people are shocked and happy. I am doing everything i can think of to be able to leave…for those who call this home and are happy with it i say right on! There is much to be said about small towns you grow up in…good on ya! For me, i want out! Now i fully expect to get heckled for speaking my mind but i do believe that was the orginal posters question.

Yikes, after reading a variety of your posts on any number of themes, you’re starting to sound like ajaye’s cousin or something!

No heckling here. Rupert did not work out for you and that`s fine. I wish you all the best in the future. Any friends down south that can put you up for a while until you can get income of some sort?