So much for all that good will

Ugh, below some of the most odious journalism one could find, the interpretations of the last two weeks from the viewpoint of A Texas journalist…

star-telegram.com/2010/02/28 … -only.html

And of course the usual butt covering once the hate mail starts to arrive

star-telegram.com/2010/03/01 … ge-be.html

Ah it was fun while it lasted, but someone always has to trash the hosts on the way out the door.

Nice to see the Americans strive for the gold over the British in sensationalism and information not necessarily based on fact.

The Vancouver Sun offered up a counter point to the Dallas paper’s interpretations.

communities.canada.com/vancouver … fault.aspx

Referring to the first link…Wow!!
Gil Lebreton was wrong on so many of his points, it’s tough to call it a news story.

GO CANADA (still…)

Well, he did apologize…I guess.

That was not an apology…and I dont accept it!

What a toad

Excellent rebuttal by the Vancouver dude, I believe it was very well composed. 
(Jack take notice :smiley:)

My thoughts exactly.
Way to make Texans look like bigoted idiot yokels…

He “Godwined” himself!

Even past the 1936 comparison, he made lots of silly assumptions and outright errors… like his assertion that the Canadian news outlets didn’t cover the victories of other athletes, which is completely untrue. Also, I found his comparison of our ticket sales to the ticket sales in Beijing quite silly, since not only could the venues have been bigger over there, but there are way more events to sell tickets to for a Summer Games.

I received this today in an email, forwarded from who knows…

*" From Brian Williams’ Feb. 26:

After tonight’s broadcast and after looting our hotel mini-bars, we’re

going to try to brave the blizzard and fly east to home and hearth, and to do

laundry well into next week. Before we leave this thoroughly polite

country,  the polite thing to do is leave behind a thank-you note.

Thank you , Canada :

For being such good hosts.

For your unfailing courtesy.

For your (mostly) beautiful weather.

For scheduling no more than 60 percent of your float plane departures at
  the exact moment when I was trying to say something on television.

For not seeming to mind the occasional (or constant) good-natured mimicry
  of your accents.

For your unique TV commercials – for companies like Tim Hortons – which
  made us laugh and cry.

For securing this massive event without choking security, and without
  publicly displaying a single automatic weapon.

For having the best garment design and logo-wear of the games – you’ve
  made wearing your name a cool thing to do.

For the sportsmanship we saw most of your athletes display.

For not honking your horns. I didn’t hear one car horn in 15 days – which
  also means none of my fellow New Yorkers rented cars while visiting.

For making us aware of how many of you have been watching NBC all these
  years.

For having the good taste to have an anchorman named Brian Williams on
  your CTV network, who turns out to be such a nice guy.

For the body scans at the airport which make pat-downs and cavity searches
  unnecessary.

For designing those really cool LED Olympic rings in the harbor, which
  turned to gold when your athletes won one.

For always saying nice things about the United States …when you know
  we’re listening.

For sharing Joannie Rochette with us.

For reminding some of us we used to be a more civil society.
  Mostly, for welcoming the world with such ease and making lasting friends
  with all of us.

– Brian Williams, NBC News "***

[quote=“Hoser”]
I received this today in an email, forwarded from who knows…

*" From Brian Williams’ Feb. 26:

After tonight’s broadcast and after looting our hotel mini-bars, we’re

going to try to brave the blizzard and fly east to home and hearth, and to do

laundry well into next week. Before we leave this thoroughly polite

country,  the polite thing to do is leave behind a thank-you note.

Thank you , Canada :

For being such good hosts.

For your unfailing courtesy.

For your (mostly) beautiful weather.

For scheduling no more than 60 percent of your float plane departures at
  the exact moment when I was trying to say something on television.

For not seeming to mind the occasional (or constant) good-natured mimicry
  of your accents.

For your unique TV commercials – for companies like Tim Hortons – which
  made us laugh and cry.

For securing this massive event without choking security, and without
  publicly displaying a single automatic weapon.

For having the best garment design and logo-wear of the games – you’ve
  made wearing your name a cool thing to do.

For the sportsmanship we saw most of your athletes display.

For not honking your horns. I didn’t hear one car horn in 15 days – which
  also means none of my fellow New Yorkers rented cars while visiting.

For making us aware of how many of you have been watching NBC all these
  years.

For having the good taste to have an anchorman named Brian Williams on
  your CTV network, who turns out to be such a nice guy.

For the body scans at the airport which make pat-downs and cavity searches
  unnecessary.

For designing those really cool LED Olympic rings in the harbor, which
  turned to gold when your athletes won one.

For always saying nice things about the United States …when you know
  we’re listening.

For sharing Joannie Rochette with us.

For reminding some of us we used to be a more civil society.
  Mostly, for welcoming the world with such ease and making lasting friends
  with all of us.

– Brian Williams, NBC News "*

excellent post…thank you!![/quote]

Not all Americans are like that.  Hypocrisy at it’s finest though I guess?

Brian Williams is a class act. Great letter  :smiley:

This is my favourite article of the games:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-olympics-plaschke28-2010feb28,0,4599199.column

There was a lot to like about these Olympics, but nothing more than the Canadian people.
By Bill Plaschke

February 28, 2010

From Vancouver, Canada

It was after midnight, a week ago, the U.S. had earlier defeated Canada in a preliminary-round Olympic hockey game, the emptying streets wet, the mood soggy.

I was returning from our nightly visit to the giant four-pronged Olympic flame with my 15-year-old daughter, Mary Clare, who was wearing an American flag like a cape, and a smile like a necklace.

It was one of the first times she wore something that didn’t represent her high school or favorite sports team. It was one of the first moments she may have realized the pride in being an American.

And here came the Canadian.

He appeared to be in his late 20s. He was wearing a scruffy beard, a pale bandanna, and wild stare. He jumped in front of Mary Clare on a darkened patch of sidewalk and started shouting.

“Eh, eh, eh!” he said.

She froze. Her brave and resourceful father also, um, froze.

At which point the man stuck out his hand.

“High-five, eh?” he said. “Great game, America. You won fair and square. We’ll see you in the finals.”

Before disappearing into the shadows, the man looked back at me with what appeared to be a wink.

“I know what you were thinking, but that’s not how we do it here,” he said. “We’re Canadian.”

I thought of this incident later when, spying on Mary Clare’s Facebook page as all brave and resourceful fathers should do, I came across a line about her Olympic experience that stunned me in its simple honesty.

“I love Canada,” she wrote.

Come to think of it, so do I. Forget the medal counts and podium ceremonies, there was only one true winner here, the beauty and breadth of its land equaled only by the daily kindness of its people.

Canada, you were gold. For two weeks, you lived your anthem, your hearts glowing like that moon that hung nightly over the Burrard Inlet, a light on the front porch of a house that felt like a home.

There was tragedy here in the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili, embarrassment in the opening ceremony torch malfunction, carelessness in the ice resurfacing machines that broke during long-track speedskating, crassness of a gold-medal- winning Canadian women’s hockey team celebrating on the ice with booze and cigars.

None of it was the fault of the Canadian people, who turned the Winter Olympics into the Warmer Olympics, filling the city with friendliness, filling the stands with good cheer even while booing the USA hockey team, sharing not only their streets but themselves.

There were women giving me directions as if they were my mother reading me a recipe, hand on my back, walking me toward my destination – “OK, now, you go down here a little ways, pass that cute little syrup store, make a left at that fountain.”

There were guys who, standing in one of the endless lines here that the Canadians accepted with such good humor, would ask me if I’m having fun, and did I need anything, and oh, here, let me explain curling, everyone a cousin, every gathering a family reunion.

Then there was the Canadian who literally gave me the shirt off her back. She was a manager at a local bakery that properly boasted of Vancouver’s best cheesecake. After a couple of memorable visits there, I wondered whether they sold T-shirts featuring the name of the shop.

The manager went into the back and came out with red shirt that looked similar to the one she had been wearing. Take it, she said. No charge. Thanks for coming.

Finally, there was the ski lift.

I may be the first person in Winter Olympics history to admit this, but I’m terrified of ski lifts. A horrible experience on a long and rickety Alaskan lift 25 years ago made me swear to avoid them forever. Imagine, then, my nerves upon learning that in order to cover the Alpine ski events here, I had to take a ski lift up to the media center.

Sitting next to unsuspecting colleague Chris Dufresne, I held my breath going up and survived. The problem was coming down. It was late, and there was nobody working the lift. Just riding that sucker was hard enough without figuring out how to climb aboard and pull down the bar and actually get off.

That is when she appeared, a local volunteer returning to her family. As she prepared to board the lift, I shouted for her to wait for me. She did.

I told her my problem. She understood.

She helped me board with my giant briefcase, asked about my family as we rode down through the tops of the trees, then carefully instructed me how to climb off at the bottom without falling on my face, drawing a few deserving snickers from some nearby teenagers.

“Hey, he doesn’t do this much, OK?” she said, scolding.

Canada, you were gold.

Williams’ letter and the article from the last post confirm that americans are really not all like that stupid texan reporter.  And with the way that NBC covered the games and showed glimpse of our country, one would think that our american neighbours’ view of Canada will be favorable. 

What the hell!? Thats not on… Over-sensationalism is a British tradition, no WAY they can start treading on our toes! Time to make up some stories for The Sun or The News of The World, or even better, The Daily Sport (The only newspaper I’ve ever seen with a ‘nipple count’ on the front page!.. I kid you not!)

“Own the Podium” program versus Host Country’s “Global mandate”

In my humble opinion, there is way too much knee-jerking-Ad Hominem going on here.
At the risk of being perceived as the devil’s advocate, I would challenge–all those interested–to deal with two ‘main’ quotes which–in my view–are the most important/significant points that journalist Gil LeBreton of the Star-Telegram is trying to make.  

And here they are:

“On the contrary, I was trying to express my disappointment and surprise that, in my opinion, Canadians had failed to grasp the global mandate that being an Olympic host entails”.

“What passed for patriotism here in Canada, however, came across differently in the eyes of an international guest”.

Let’s give it a try and see where it will lead.

Sorry but any commentary that begins with the visual image of Canada having common ground with the Nazi regime of the thirties automatically loses any gravitas it might have hoped to achieve.

Sorry!  But it looks like this first ‘undertaker’ doesn’t seem to display the ability to separate the wheat from the chaff…try again!

To paraphrase our Jesus - the guy is a moron.  (I will leave Jesus’ usual adjective for others to supply.)

And I think part of his problem is he looked in our mirror and saw himself.  What we did was nothing different than what China, the USA and other host nations have done.  I think the surprise here is that Canada is not supposed to be like other countries. 

We are not supposed to be flag-waving, trumpet-blaring nationalists.

I admit to getting caught up in the enthusiasm. My wife and I spent two weeks eating supper in front of the TV and then the first post-Olympic supper we looked at each other and … silence.

However, there were times where I wondered what was the commotion all about.  Why am I so excited by a bob sleigh team that I didn’t care about two weeks ago and won’t care about next week.  What if anything does all this mean?

I really don’t give a damn what one American journalist has to say about what went on in Vancouver.  But given the controversy about funding for the Olympics prior to the games, we might want to ask ourselves what did go on.

Did we see a fundamental change in the attitude of Canadians?

Just because a good time was had by all, should we do it again in 20 years in another Canadian city?

For sure it felt good, but was it worth it? 

We can only hope that the inspiration of the athletes - this proud to be a Canadian - spills over where we feel that we should be doing whatever we are capable of to continue to be proud to be Canadian.  Yes it is nice to say we are the best in hockey (or snowboarding etc), but we cannot rely on the success of elite athletes to make this country the best in the world.

Uh, just for clarification and to let me know if I need to drop my gloves at this point, you are referring to the Texan as the moron correct?

Do let me know, I’m on the bench here wondering if the coach is going to tap me on the shoulder and tell me I gotta go!

As much as I loved seeing the mens and womens team take gold in hockey. As much as I enjoy being a part of this amazing beautiful country. I have to question this “proud to be Canadian” thing. I don’t think we should be “proud” to be Canadian. It’s not that much of an accomplishment, to be born in a hospital, that resides in a city, which is part of a province, which happens to be a part of this country called Canada.

I am happy, that I was born here. I’m happy that I have rights, and freedoms. I am happy that I was brought up with correct morals and values, and that I know the difference between right and wrong. But I’m not “proud to be Canadian”. Pride in your country brings seperatism.

The olympics are, to me, just like one big war, without the fighting. We shouldn’t be celebrating what the atheletes from one country can do, better than another, we should be celebrating what these elite athletes, at the top of their game, can do.

So on that note, I disagree with everything that texan had to say. I may not believe in national pride, but I don’t believe that we did anything wrong. We we’re being exactly how canadians are. And I must admit, I was proud of us, what we pulled off. That we can have the entire world at our doorstep, in a clogged city, where everyone is already crowded. And we still welcomed our guests with open arms. I was, and still am, happy to show off what we have to offer. The beauty, the friendliness. I am happy to live here. I’m happy that we can show off our diversity better than any other country hosting the winter olympics has.

I guess that makes me a Canadian, eh?