Snow removal

Man, pedestrians have it really bad lately. 

Has it ever been this bad?  Not the amount of snowfall, but the fact that it has remained on the ground this long?  I’ve been here about 10 years, and I don’t remember it lasting this long.  Usually a day or two then it melts.  So I guess that’s what the city plans for, not the extraordinary case.

[IMO] this can also be said for Rupert right now.  Yes, it sucks, but it’s time to suck it up buttercup!  I especially enjoyed the last comment regarding edumacation (spelling intended) [/IMO]

================================
"Residents in Metro Vancouver who are struggling with ice and snow-clogged side streets should adjust their expectations about snow removal, the mayor of Burnaby says.

“It’s expensive and there’s already been well over $1 million spent by my city,” said Burnaby Mayor Derrick Corrigan.

“We only carry a certain amount of salt, we only have a certain amount of vehicles that are for snow removal mainly because it’s not worth it to invest in those vehicles when plows will end up rusting over the decade or so before there’s another big snowfall.”

Corrigan said the snowstorms that have hit the area since earlier this month are rare events that residents could have prepared for themselves by buying snow tires and salt.

Anyone hoping the municipalities will clear ice and snow from side streets is going to be disappointed. Vancouver spokeswoman Jennifer Young said the plan is to plow the major routes and wait for the weather to take care of the rest.

“We end up in a situation where we’re not meeting people’s expectations, but probably because their expectations are unrealistic about what we can do,” said Corrigan, pointing out that public and private cleanup crews are minimal because many workers are currently on holidays.

Corrigan said his recent experience with the snowfall has convinced him the city should invest in a public education campaign about snow management."

cbc.ca/canada/british-columb … rigan.html

MiG, I’ve lived here my entire life - over 35 years - and I don’t remember snow like this.  Very unusual weather.  But there is rain in the forecast starting Sunday - yeah!!

Never thought I would be so happy to see rain, bring on the melt down of this mess…  yeah!!

Clean off your roof…  the weight of snow on roofs once the rain starts is going to keep roofers busy… 

You have to have been here longer than 35 years to remember the snow fall of 1966.  Snowed for days, remember getting up one morning and the city was at a stand still, not a bus or taxi moving.  Took me over an hour to walk from 10th east to 3rd ave. When plowing began snow was piled in the middle of 3rd and 2nd. Crosswalks had a narrow opening. Hung around for about 2 weeks. There were no cars allowed on 2nd and 3rd during certain hours of the night when most of the plowing was done, those who didn’t heed the message had their cars towed away.  Dump trucks also hauled a lot of the snow away dumping it in empty lots about the city.  As I remember it the sidewalks were cleared!  And…eventually it rained… making a horrendous mess!

Good advice from rupertguy…Clean off your roof …

How much was the actual accumulated snowfall? I was around for the massive snowfall in the early 80’s but since then, it was never again quite that impressive up there, more along the lines of annoying. I know we got something like 110 cms here last month but that was not quite the record, at least according to the Nanaimo airport stats.

There was almost 2 feet on my deck at one point yesterday.  Not very much for sure… but HOLY ANNOYING!

Can’t remember but certainly more than we have now, when it started it just didn’t seem to want to stop. 

If today’s rain keeps up it should be gone in a couple of days, although its gotta be damn slippery out there. 

Feel sorry for those who have problems getting around at the best of times.  With the lack of snow removal from the sidewalks many are afraid to venture out.  If you know someone like that think of them the next time you head to the grocery store please.

Also if you have a storm drain near your house… try to make sure it stays clear and maybe even build a trench towards it to help things out… there are already a few small lakes out there covering both lanes of traffic.

Yeah there’s a huge lake forming out by Maverick Mart in the east end, the next time they have a seafood sale they’ll be able to pull the fish off of 11th and straight to your table…

But don’t do it if you can only get to part of the roof.  If you can’t clear the whole thing, don’t bother - you can cause more (and worse) problems if the weight distribution of the snow isn’t uniform.