Snow removal

So not that I’m complaining, as they are doing a better job of it, but why is the City clearing McBride St and 2nd ave rather than O’Briens who didn’t do much of a job of it the other day?

Anyone have the scoop?

Highways probably responsibility of Obriens…and the side walks are the citys,

yeah that’s my point, O’briens should have been doing those two streets but the city plows were clearing the streets all day today… just wondering…

Boy,these guys are dumber than a sack of hammers!!! :angry: Wake up!If they go on strike that will be the end of containers out of P.R. for a VERY long time.Like,they are underpaid.The U.S. is loving this!

Eh?

2nd Ave is pretty much a 2 lane street today.  The snow removal crews should be out at night clearing when the streets are empty.  Today there is so much snow built up along the curb that the cars that are parked are probably 3-4 feet further out than they should be.  It’s leaving the lanes kind of narrow. 

Its always been like that, try driving in japan

Probably just a matter of manpower and equipment.  I know in other Canadian cities where they get a lot of snow, they use specialized equipment to remove snow and melt it, usually during the night.  Some cities also make it illegal to park in the downtown core overnight during these snow removal times.

I’m not sure what Japan has to do with things.  You may have meant some other country.

But yeah, in the rest of Canada, they handle snow removal differently, but they also spend a lot more money than Rupert does.

the side walks are hopeless…
come on city of Prince Rupert this is disgusting!!

Vancouver never plows sides streets (mainly because the road are narrow), so I’m forced to take a Skytrain and a bus to Langley with whole bunch of sick people.

Langley (Walnut Grove) is worst because they didn’t clear sidewalks ever, so I’m forced to walk to work on black iced road with semis running all over the place.

One evening riding the Skytrain back home, I’ve been confined on a semi-working train for at least an hour and a half… in New West station… with doors shut. Even worst, a computer can drive a train 100 times better than an attendant manually running the trains. lol

Anyways, very exciting adventure.  :smiley:

Japan hates you…

I have lived in a lot of coastal cities and IMHO Rupert is not doing badly, considering. PLA is right, if you want to see real chaos go to the GVA.

Each year the Councillors all get calls because some people think the streets aren’t ploughed enough, some think they’re ploughed too much, some think the wrong places get attention, some places thing too many places get too little attention. Essentially, I think it’s tough to allocate resources when we’re getting owned by snow so much. Like some have said, there are worse areas than Rupert. Nanaimo was hell just before I left.

Question: My spell checker is telling me that ploughed is spelled wrong–first alternative is ‘unploughed’–how does one spell this mysterious word?

Plow.

Seriously, this isn’t much snow.  We’re just not used to much.  This is nothing compared to your standard winter on the other side of those mountains.

As I posted in a different thread:  (those that read the other thread can skip this one)

======================================================
Regarding snow removal - everyone likes to whine about the lack of it when the white stuff falls, but my guess is that there are more ‘pressing’ things the city budget is worrying about.  Don’t get me wrong here - I am by no means saying that the city ALWAYS spends their money fairly/wisely, etc - just saying that in a town such as Rupert there might be less of an urgency for snow removal than some other towns.

Example:  Mackenzie

We moved there and couldn’t figure out why the streets were so wide.  MUCH wider than other streets we had seen, but with WAY less population.  Then it snowed.  And snowed.  And snowed.  And snowed.  Slowly the streets were narrowed down to ‘normal’ size from the plows - until it got so high that even the plows couldn’t push it back far enough.  That’s when the monster made appearances all over town (see pic below)

The plows and the gigantic snowblower were incredibly efficient - ‘main artery roads’ were always cleared before 7am, and almost the entire rest of the town by 8am at the latest.  Sometimes it was slack around holidays, but never for all that long.

That being said, WELL over half of the city budget was snow removal.  So if you all want better snow removal for the handful of times it snows in Rupert (I hope I’m not jinxing the town by saying that haha) then you have to be prepared for the decreased funding for other things that a city needs as a result.  I’m not so sure I’d want that to happen - sure it sucks to try and get around in the snow when it’s not plowed, but I also wouldn’t want to see services cut so that people can get around better.

My suggestion is to have a 2nd set of rims for your vehicle with winter tires on them - then if it snows and you really need to get somewhere you can just switch them out.  But - don’t even think about the possibility of being invincible because you have ‘winter tires’ - even Blizzaks suck in heavy, wet, slushy snow.  Get yourself some good ice tires (because even if Rupert doesn’t get a lot of snow, we do get ice) and when you have to venture out into the snow be totally prepared for the possiblity of getting stuck.

Some random photos of the crazy snow in Mackenzie:

Too chicken to park under the carport:
media5.dropshots.com/photos/9584 … 195044.jpg

Out the front door (can’t see that there is a house across the street):
media3.dropshots.com/photos/9584 … 172227.jpg

media3.dropshots.com/photos/9584 … 143943.jpg

And more snow:
media3.dropshots.com/photos/9584 … 144258.jpg

Ban me now, I’m an idiot.

Plow:

http://www.thesimpsons.com/bios/images/bios_guests_west.gif

Plough:

http://www.teachnet.ie/ckelly/heaney/Side%20images/horse_plough.jpg

Same word, two difference spellings.

Canadians sometimes use English, sometimes Merkin spellings.

Someone should plough the intersection of 8th east and green street.  It has’nt been ploughed once this year.  People are getting stuck and waking me up

6th Ave. West the main hospital route is almost becoming one lane…
come on city of Prince Rupert get your act together before we have an emergency and the roads are impassable …

In some cities,  you can’t park on the streets between certain hours so that the roads can get plowed properly.  My neighbour keeps parking on the street as does her son and then complains cause she is snowed in??? I think the crews are trying their best to keep up, but its hard when there are cars on both sides of the street leaves not much room to manouver.