Snow Birds, possibly coming to Rupert

I saw on TV on Monday night that it was brought forward with the possibility of the Snowbirds coming to Rupert in August, just before the Riverboat days in Terrace. There was just under $25,000 left over from the birthday party last year and $20,000 possible will be target to the Snowbirds.

Just wondering what people think about the idea and funds? Could funds be used for other things, if so what would be some suggestions?

Word has it ( I love this town) that it may be held at the waterfront this year with admission being free!!

According to their schedule on their website, they will be in Rupert on August 4th:

snowbirds.dnd.ca/v2/as-sa/sch-cal-eng.asp

nice!!! that would be awesome, i loved that show!

Snowbird?

Government of Canada is picking up the cost.
Rotary Club of Prince Rupert will be one of the hosts

I guess i spend way to much time thinking of spending my winters in the south and summers up here…ha ha, i honestly never even considered planes! All i could think of was all the locals who have retired to spending their winters in Arizona or Mexico and how they could be contacted…major duh! I have only seen them once when I was little but would love to see them again!

I saw them a few years ago in Toronto as well as once here before that. Awesome show, while kind of pricey at $20,000 it would likely draw a few people here from the region. We need something different so sounds great…

Didn’t they come to Rupert back in the early 90’s for a big show out at the airport?

Yes they did and it was a pretty horrid experience. The show itself was awesome but it took 5 hours to get off the damn island

I can’t remember what year I saw them but it was on the waterfront…

LOL@ 5 hours to get off the island, going there for flights is enough for me…

[quote=“northernguy”]I can’t remember what year I saw them but it was on the waterfront…

LOL@ 5 hours to get off the island, going there for flights is enough for me…[/quote]

I’ve done my best to repress that memory but every time I see snow birds I’m reminded. It was actually 5 hours in the airport terminal waiting for the bus to take us to the ferry to get off the island.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“northernguy”]I can’t remember what year I saw them but it was on the waterfront…

LOL@ 5 hours to get off the island, going there for flights is enough for me…[/quote]

I’ve done my best to repress that memory but every time I see snow birds I’m reminded. It was actually 5 hours in the airport terminal waiting for the bus to take us to the ferry to get off the island.[/quote]

Yes 5 hours would be fustrating…
A few years ago I was on the morning flight out and there were problems so the inbound plane went back to Vancouver… we arrived around 9 AM and never flew out of Digby until the evening sometime around 8 PM I believe it was… Pizzas were sent over to eat late afternoon, very long day, as we kept getting updates that gave us hope of getting out sooner… There was an afternoon flight at that time a few managed to get on it, the rest of us did the 11 hour wait… Last September with a friend we did 3 -4 hours there out bound flight could not leave. Rupert has the unique experience of having Airlines holding passengers hostage… Would never go over for show at the Airport for fear of that…

I was in Victoria a couple years ago and saw the Snow Birds.... my sisters and I were lying on the beach by Beacon Hill Park, and they flew right over us throughout the show... very memorable, especially with my sisters laughing and carrying on beside me.. looking forward to seeing them here in Rupert. It should attract some out of townees too.  :smile:

I remember the airshow out at digby. I remember getting lost, or thinking I was lost. I was only 5 maybe. But I certianly don’t remember a five hour wait to get back to rupert. And I asked both of my parents, who took me there about this five hour wait thing, and they said there never was…

Are you exaggerating?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]I remember the airshow out at digby. I remember getting lost, or thinking I was lost. I was only 5 maybe. But I certianly don’t remember a five hour wait to get back to rupert. And I asked both of my parents, who took me there about this five hour wait thing, and they said there never was…

Are you exaggerating?[/quote]

No I’m not exaggerating, it may have been longer actually. I was maybe 8 when I went so it was likely before you were born :wink:

Well that’s what happens when half the town goes over to Digby and there is only one Ferry.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]I remember the airshow out at digby. I remember getting lost, or thinking I was lost. I was only 5 maybe. But I certianly don’t remember a five hour wait to get back to rupert. And I asked both of my parents, who took me there about this five hour wait thing, and they said there never was…

Are you exaggerating?[/quote]

No I’m not exaggerating, it may have been longer actually. I was maybe 8 when I went so it was likely before you were born :wink:[/quote]

Oh c’mon Jesus, you’re not THAT much older than me. :wink:

We moved here in 1994 and I recall watching the Snowbirds from the waterfront down by the station. Bleachers set up, bq’s fired up, ice cream, etc…a real fun afternoon, especially for the kids.

Hard to belive it was that long ago… time flys…