Smart Meter

Jack Layton was talking about monopolies and a metered internet. Read the whole interview if you don’t “believe” me.

“We need clear rules that put consumers first.” – Jack Layton

Cullen promised to oppose all forms of internet metering during his campaign, as did all the other NDP MPs. He’s the only NDP MP to have broken that promise.

All opinions are certainly welcome. Why do you think they’re not?

Don’t you think we should hold MPs to their election promises? Instead of representing his constituents, he sided with a monopoly. He had the issue explained to him over and over again, and had his own party’s stand explained to him over and over again, and had his own election platform explained to him over and over again. And despite all that, his statement was that he needed to be convinced to side with his party, to keep his election promise. The polar opposite of Jack Layton.

My problem isn’t just with his broken campaign promise, though, but his response to me (and others) who questioned him on it. It isn’t a case of “all he said was…” He broke a campaign promise, and then somehow thought the onus was on others to convince him to keep it.

Now what? Is he embarrassed? He should be. I see that he’s on twitter and facebook encouraging his supporters to visit high-bandwidth sites and view online video.

Now that’s deliciously ironic.

But, like I said in another thread, it may all be moot anyway, because despite Cullen’s support, Citywest seems to have abandoned their metered internet plan.

I’m sure Nathan wishes it would all just go away, but it won’t. Because he’s still not keeping his election promise.

What campaign promise did Cullen break?

…and you didn’t answer my question, if every user used 100 gigs each month, do you think an Internet provider would have to buy more bandwidth to meet the demand?

Depends on when they’re using it. The problem is a “traffic jam” dying peak times. That’s caused by all users, not just those who transfer a lot. 100 gigs at 4am is “cheaper” than 1 gig during peak times. If you want me to take an economics course, how about you take a networking course?

But that’s besides the point. You’re doing the same thing Nathan did. Take the monopoly at their word, and decide that your own party’s platform and campaign promises are wrong.

It would be like Cullen waking up one day and deciding that an Enbridge pipeline is a good idea. And anybody who disagrees with him, despite his party’s platform and campaign promises, now have to convince him otherwise.

I’m not interested in debating Citywest’s plan any further, though. Like I said, they seem to have withdrawn it.

What we have now is a difference of opinion on whether it was OK for Nathan to break his campaign promises or not.

You have admitted though that usage at some point will force a company to buy more to serve demand. That’s the whole argument, game set match. Thank you very much.

And again, not answering the question what was his campaign promise?

Dude he changed his mind, people are allowed to do that, he got new information and changed his mind. That tells me he has courage, is a leader, is not going to just keep arguing something just to save face… don’t hate on Cullen, he’s a good guy and would make a great ndp leader.

And Internet billing is not the same as a pipeline that could destroy an Eco system and way of life that has lasted for thousands of years. You are pushing my buttons now cause I’m not a fan of that project and by the way I think it’s much more worthy of our attention than Internet billing.

But I’m not done on Cullen, I think you’re being too hard on him because he happens to disagree with an opinion you have. I thought we were all cornerstones of democracy up in here. (stole that from another thread).

To oppose all forms of internet metering.

So how would you feel if he “got new information” and decided than an Enbridge pipeline was ok with him?

I’m sure he’s a good guy. I don’t think I’ve ever said anything negative about him personally. He just took the wrong side of this debate, and broke a campaign promise.

Sure, but the principle’s the same, right? Make a campaign promise, and stick to it? Take the interests of your constituents and your party before those of corporations?

No problem, this is a debate. The only reason I’m even taking part is to point out that your ‘delicious irony’ comment was itself ‘deliciously ironic.’ Despite it being a borderline troll, and on a completely unrelated thread, nobody censored your post, or stopped you from expressing your opinion.

Why do you think I shouldn’t express mine in response? Especially since you aimed your comments directly at me?

Oh ok so now I’m lucky I didnt get censored. Thank you for allowing the discussion to continue. Democracy lives!

Campaign promise has a link?

His character is good, he’s a good leader. He happens to disagree with you, and you don’t like that. I like how you say he’s on the wrong side of the debate. Tells me that when we don’t agree with you, then we are wrong.

Him not agreeing with you doesn’t mean he would not make a great ndp leader.

I think you are personally invested in this Internet thing, you can’t go back or change your mind even if you want to. I Feel for you. But I’m guessing you use the Internet a lot so there is also a measure of personal benefit for you advocating as you are. Maybe it’s not about democracy, maybe you’re just a guy trying to save a couple bucks…

Just sayin…

That’s not what I said. You’re implying that I shouldn’t be expressing my opinions on Nathan Cullen’s breaking of his campaign promise. I’m pointing out that you got to express your not-so ironic opinion, and now you’re complaining that I’m replying?

• We will enshrine “net neutrality” in law, end price gouging and “net throttling,” with clear rules for Internet Service Providers
(ISPs), enforced by the CRTC;
• We will prohibit all forms of usage-based billing (UBB) by Internet Service Providers (ISPs);

NDP platform 5.14.

He took a strong and very public stand with his party on an issue. Then he attended a company presentation, and flip-flopped on the issue, putting the corporate interest before his constituents, his party and his campaign promises. If you think that’s what makes a great leader, then we disagree.

But we’re allowed to disagree. That’s ok.

I’m still an NDP supporter. The NDP is against a metered internet.

Because he broke his campaign promise, I’m not a Nathan Cullen supporter. That’s ok too.

When you say we, you mean you right?

I’d gladly pay $100/month for internet access, and I’ve said that over and over again.

I’m glad you’re trying to make this about me, rather than Nathan Cullen’s breaking of a campaign promise, though. Which is fine with me. Switching to a personal attack isn’t very convincing, though.

[quote]
Just sayin…[/quote]

Ironic, you could say.

…and we re back to my original point. Ubb was a wholesale debate. And not from Citywest, read the crtc decision.

But we have established that you agree that more usage at some point would lead a company to have to buy more to meet demand and like I said that’s the argument, game set match.

I’m guessing that with your 11000 posts that you generally win these arguments on here based on sheer volume alone. But when people stop talking back it doesn’t mean you won, it just means they turned you off.

No, your original point was that I was in favour of smart meters. You called it ‘deliciously ironic’ and you were wrong, which itself is ironic.

Then you started down the path of trying to defend a plan that Citywest has abandoned. Then trying to justify Nathan Cullen breaking a campaign promise to support a plan that has been abandoned.

And now you’re starting down the path of personal attacks.

Deliciously ironic indeed!

well I for one do not agree with smart meter, they could be used for the greater good, but I fear they will lead to problems, mostly “privacy and health” i also dont like
that it could lead to different prices for consumption based on the time of day and the season.

If you think this is not about money, then I have a couple of acres in the Everglades for sale. When they find out when the peak time of consumption is, you will be told that they have to charge more in this period, because it cost them more. Now if your a night person you will save money. If your 70% ( given arbitraly ), like the rest of the population, you will pay more to live in that peak period. jm2c