Skunk Cabbage

Is it just me, or is there an abundance of this stuff this year? Maybe I’ve just been noticing it more. But it seems to me that there’s more of it this year, than there has been in the past few years. Anyone else noticing this trend?

The devil’s spinach nary sleeps.

Specially out towards SPCA where there is that Marshy Skunk Cab. patch (over the embankment) MAN did it STINK! I think it was the heat that made it worse but Wow…lol. was cruising down the highway and had the windows down…my bf didn’t know what skunk cab. was til he moved hear a month ago!!! LOL

No that is not the skunk cabbage down there by the SPCA, there is an open sewer line around there, that is what you are smelling. Nasty!

Skunk cabbage and sewage don’t smell the same. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not even close, really.

I just smell the byproduct of the Production Plants here in Rupert… BLECH!!!

Come to the east side, it’s less smelly…

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

Not even close, really.[/quote]

What exactly is that stench down towards the SPCA? It is not sewage or skunk cabbage, I have heard, in the past, that it is some sort of chemical or waste from industrial activity.?

[quote=“chiefdave”]

Not even close, really.
What exactly is that stench down towards the SPCA? It is not sewage or skunk cabbage, I have heard, in the past, that it is some sort of chemical or waste from industrial activity.?[/quote]

There is a leak in the sewage treatment plant, just up the road from the SPCA. It IS sewage. That’s what all of the construction at the civic center parking lot, is supposed to be fixing.

Sure it smells but doesn’t it make you think spring is arriving? Isn’t the yellow flower a beautiful addition to dark damp places? I love how fast they grow and how large the leaves get - i think its a beautiful plant. Besides, it has many uses for animals, birds and bugs. It was used to line baskets and wrap salmon. Why just complain and not also give it some praise. We have so few colors in the rainforest that I love the skunk cabbage.

There is NO sewage treatment plant anywhere near the SPCA.The closest Treatment plant is down near Adventure paving in the industrial site.The building up from the SPCA on Frederick St is a water booster station.What i believe you smell is sulphur leaching out of the ground near the Canadian Freightways fence.

Nice pic. I like the skunk cabbage actually

They look kinda like you could just pick the leaves, and make a nice salad out of them. But, I doubt they’d taste very good, seeing as they don’t smell all that nice.

No one else has noticed a large abundance of them this year? Maybe it means we’re in for a hot summer.

Many animals rely on skunk cabbage but it is toxic to humans…it was used to wrap salmon in to bake but not for eating!