Sink Holes

Is The City (Town) of Prince Rupert trying to be the capital of Sink Holes or what ? Driving around the last couple of days
I can not understand why almost every street looks like there have been Land mines laid out for some purpose . Even going in and out of the lower Rupert Square Mall one can destroy their wheels. Instead of thinking of putting out all those bucks for some website , I believe this money would do better if applied to addressing the road work. I do hope that one may sue the city or (town) if one damages their wheels because of this lack of being on task.

I don’t think you can sue them individually…maybe a class action. You would think with all the money we fork out for taxes that we would have a say how money is spent, not just when an election is held. I’m getting sick and tired of the condition of the roads. The pot holes are getting huge and their springing up all over.

This is typical of what northern winters can do to roads. You can blame the city all you want but it is a naturally occurring event that most communities have to deal with annually. We also have very wet soil which would probably make frost heaving worse.

waltersforensic.com/articles … 1-no11.htm

I think the problem here is two fold.

The first is the weather itself. It’s the tail end of winter and roads are a mess all over the northern hemisphere. And you can’t really patch them effectively until the weather dries out and warms up.

The second is lack of financial assets. The economy is still in a slump. That means less tax revenues and less money in municipal treasuries.

And sinkholes? Potholes are not sinkholes. THIS, is a sinkhole, inapcache.boston.com/universal/s … 649477.jpg

I worked for an oil exploration company once and was doing seismic surveys in west Texas and eastern New Mexico. The whole area is riddled with caverns, part of the Carlsbad Caverns network. Was driving along slowly out in the middle of nowhere, and all of a sudden, the whole front of my truck dipped. I bit the steering wheel and had crap flying all over the inside of the cab. I had actually driven the front wheels off into a small sinkhole that was covered over by weeds and vines.

Potholes, I can handle.

x

Sure its a typical thing that happens in winter,I realize that. But there must be something they can do in the short term. There are soooo many pot holes and new ones are springing up all over, and you shouldn’t have to drive into oncoming lanes to try to avoid them. The roads in this town are in deplorable condition and I don’t know how the city will be able to afford to fix them. We pay very high residential taxes compared to a lot of places, we should get something for our money. Plus why should we have to risk damage to our vehicles and then have our insurance premiums go up.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]This is typical of what northern winters can do to roads. You can blame the city all you want but it is a naturally occurring event that most communities have to deal with annually. We also have very wet soil which would probably make frost heaving worse.

waltersforensic.com/articles … 1-no11.htm[/quote]

I agree…we need live with the road conditions for awhile longer. You can’t repair in the winter weather. The whole north coast has the same problems with thier roads. I was in P.G. and Burns Lake in Feb… ohhhh, way worse than here. Drive slow and with caution is all we can do… :frowning:

I also suspect a change in the materials used in road construction due to whiny hippies. You know kind of like how they no longer use oil based paints for the lines so now they’re damn near impossible to see at night.

As someone else pointed out, the weather needs to warm up before effective repairs can be made. I think that this shows a bigger problem which is a feeling of entitlement. We expect everything from our governments but they are not miracle workers nor can they compete with Mother Nature. Slow down and watch the road ahead of you.

You do get something for your money… Water, sewer, police and fire protection, recreational facilities, and yes… Infrastructure repairs, although it might not occur as quickly as many would like. There are reasons for this though so please be patient.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

As someone else pointed out, the weather needs to warm up before effective repairs can be made. I think that this shows a bigger problem which is a feeling of entitlement. We expect everything from our governments but they are not miracle workers nor can they compete with Mother Nature. Slow down and watch the road ahead of you.

You do get something for your money… Water, sewer, police and fire protection, recreational facilities, and yes… Infrastructure repairs, although it might not occur as quickly as many would like. There are reasons for this though so please be patient.[/quote]

You also get a new website… apparently.

[quote=“My2cents”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]This is typical of what northern winters can do to roads. You can blame the city all you want but it is a naturally occurring event that most communities have to deal with annually. We also have very wet soil which would probably make frost heaving worse.

waltersforensic.com/articles … 1-no11.htm[/quote]

I agree…we need live with the road conditions for awhile longer. You can’t repair in the winter weather. The whole north coast has the same problems with thier roads. I was in P.G. and Burns Lake in Feb… ohhhh, way worse than here. Drive slow and with caution is all we can do… :frowning:[/quote]

but somedays those potholes can look and feel just like this…heh heh