Shutter Shack sd flash card

Can someone tell me why Sd flash cards cost 3 times more then ncix’s price

Because people buy them.

If you don’t like the price, don’t buy them at that price. How easy is that?

But as long as people pay the high prices, then they will stay.

Buy one on eBay… I got a 512 for less than $30 including shipping.

It’s not about the capacity now. Its actually the speed of the memory… example 25x or higher…

Remember we are all not uber geeks around here. A “regular” 512 card is good enough for me and my camera.

Now that really depends on your application :wink: I use old slow 512Mb cards for my routers because speed isnt necissary. They load everything into a ramdisk and only write config changes back to the CF card. Config changes are only about 10k.

Is it the same brand or just the same capacity?

I could get a 1GB Kingston CF Card from NCIX for like $50, but instead I spent nearly $160 on two 512mb SanDisk Ultra II card. Mainly, I want reliability and speed. I can imagine it’d be no fun to have all your images disappear from a crappy memory card, but then again, I’d never know because mine are good :smile:

Like Mig says when he talks. You can buy cheap stuff or you can buy expensive stuff most of the time with the expensive stuff its either marked up a little more or it actually is a better product… having slow memory in your cam has a effect on it’s pictures and how fast it can pickup to take the next picture… Also transferring back to the computer…

[quote=“jesus”]

Now that really depends on your application :wink: I use old slow 512Mb cards for my routers because speed isnt necissary. They load everything into a ramdisk and only write config changes back to the CF card. Config changes are only about 10k.[/quote]

That’s what your IDE adapters are for? I should mention that my SO needed a Win98 box to do some old tax files, so I used that one I got to set up a 512MB card. Her 98 box boots in under a minute and save the files to a USB stick. I just wish she hurries up so I get it back to play with.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
That’s what your IDE adapters are for? I should mention that my SO needed a Win98 box to do some old tax files, so I used that one I got to set up a 512MB card. Her 98 box boots in under a minute and save the files to a USB stick. I just wish she hurries up so I get it back to play with.[/quote]

Yup, that’s exactly what I bought them for. Of course at the time I didnt know about the write limit on compact flash :unamused: so I had to make some minor modifications to make it load into a ramdisk.

Since then I have moved on and started using via boards with onboard CF slots. Now I use the IDE slot for a 2.5" hdd for logging if they dont want to use remote syslog and of course swap space.

I have a question, hopefully someone can help me with. My daughter got a 3 mega pixel Samsung digital camera from SANTA and also a 216 memory card. When she takes the pictures they turnout good but when we download them to the computer they are really blurry. What can we do about this? Is it the memory card? Do we need a better memory card?

Thanks

[quote=“ginry1”]I have a question, hopefully someone can help me with. My daughter got a 3 mega pixel Samsung digital camera from SANTA and also a 216 memory card. When she takes the pictures they turnout good but when we download them to the computer they are really blurry. What can we do about this? Is it the memory card? Do we need a better memory card?

Thanks[/quote]

first off you probly have a 256 mem card, second make sure its set on the highest quality. They usualy have lots of options to, like a close up settin, a motion settin, landscape setting, different flash settings.
Basically play around with it till you figure it all out.
And there is no Santa

The picture quallity has zero to do with your memory card. I’d try fresh batteries and check the manual for tips.

It actually has nothing to do with the memory card and nothing to do with the batteries. The reason lies in the camera and the person using it.

When you look at a photo on your LCD screen, you’re looking at it when it’s about an inch big on a sharp LCD. You could take a very out of focus photo and it’ll look sharp on the LCD, trust me, it’s happened to me many times.

Basically, her camera needs time to focus. If it’s an inexpensive camera, it takes even more time to focus because the technology is not overly superior. Your camera sends out little infrared bursts that are reflected back to the camera so it can determine the distance of the object you’re trying to focus on and focus the lens, it can take time, especially in low-light situations when there is not much contrast. Just be patient and make sure your camera is focusing. Try pressing the shutter button half-way, in most cameras this will focus and evaluate the exposure of the shot beforehand so when you pully press the shutter button the photo will be taken instantly (no lag) and, assuming you focused properly, you will get a good photo.

If it’s motion blur that’s the problem, that’s because of the camera and the person holding it. Make sure your daughter has steady hands, no waving the camera around and firing away. Also, try putting the camera in “Portrait” or “Sports” mode (if it has it) at all times. What this does is ensure that the camera uses the fastest shutter speed possible. This means the photo will be taken faster and it’s less likely there will be blur. With some cameras, this can not be helped because you may need to use flash indoors and the shutter speed is turned down a lot when using the flash on most consumer-grade cameras. If she’s taking photos outdoors in good light, make sure the flash is always turned off.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will give them a try.

The only time I’ve ever had a problem with picture quallity on every digital camera I’ve ever used, includind high end (tons of options) and low end (Turn it on and take a picture), is low batteries. Keep in mind, however, I know how to focus, choose the appropriate mode, yadda, yadda, yadda.

All of what you said is true, but low batteries can cause blurry images, banding, speckles, etc. Combine fresh batteries and a browse though the basic use section of the manual, and most problems with image quality can be solved.