Should BC NDP fire candidate for past racist remarks?

The BC NDP seems to be standing behind their candidate Jane Shins from their Burnaby-Lougheed riding and will not fire her after it was revealed she referred to Chinese people as “Chinkasaurus” in an online forum over a decade ago.

vancouversun.com/news/bc-ele … story.html

My question? Is the NDP making the right decision here? Should potential MLA’s be held accountable for racist remarks, regardless of how long ago they were made?

Thoughts?

[quote=“bthedog”]The BC NDP seems to be standing behind their candidate Jane Shins from their Burnaby-Lougheed riding and will not fire her after it was revealed she referred to Chinese people as “Chinkasaurus” in an online forum over a decade ago.

My question? Is the NDP making the right decision here? Should potential MLA’s be held accountable for racist remarks, regardless of how long ago they were made?

Thoughts?[/quote]

Considering the nature of the comments (not so much racist, but certainly disrespectful) from many participants on this sites many chat forums, the pool of available candidates for any party will be pretty small for Prince Rupert then!

[quote=“Old major”]

[quote=“bthedog”]The BC NDP seems to be standing behind their candidate Jane Shins from their Burnaby-Lougheed riding and will not fire her after it was revealed she referred to Chinese people as “Chinkasaurus” in an online forum over a decade ago.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Considering the nature of the comments from many participants on this forum, the pool of available candidates for any party will be pretty small for Prince Rupert then![/quote]

Haha…good thing no one from here is running :wink:

This is a good reminder for anyone in this day and age that the comments you make online are forever and may come back to haunt you. Even statements made in jest can bite you in the ass if misunderstood. It’s why I choose remain anonymous on this site. I can speak freely without worrying that it will offend someone even if it wasn’t intended that way. Who knows, maybe Ill want to run for office one day. :smile:

I don’t think that the candidate should be fired and the voters in that riding will deal with her. There are many Chinese in the Burnaby-Lougheed area.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]
I don’t think that the candidate should be fired and the voters in that riding will deal with her. There are many Chinese in the Burnaby-Lougheed area.[/quote]

Agreed.

ppl make dumbass remarks all the time not thinking it will come back to haunt them. should she resign no, should the electorate know about it why not. if she said it publically it is fair game.

The liberals are reaching really deep here… Going after a 21 yr old kid on a gaming site !
I’m sure the lot of them never did anything of the sort when they were of that age and mind set.
Sad just sad .