School Ages!?

I looked at the School District 52 website, to try and find information about policy on what age to start your child in kindergarten, with no luck(or skill?).
Does anybody have any information on this, or links, or people who I can contact to find information?

Call the school district, they’ve got all the info.

If your child is 5 before january 1st he can start kindergard
in september before he or she turns 5, my boy turned 5 january 8th and will be in kindergarden september 2011

by the age of 5 depending on when the child was born. November or January. Hope that helps!:slight_smile:

[quote=“chiefdave”]I looked at the School District 52 website, to try and find information about policy on what age to start your child in kindergarten, with no luck(or skill?).
Does anybody have any information on this, or links, or people who I can contact to find information?[/quote]

Must have been no skill. It’s right at the top of the main SD52 website “Kindergarten Registration”

I think you can PUSH your child if s/he is 4, but will turn 5 during the school year. But normally, the kid has to be 5, turning 6 at some time during the school year (summer babies excluded, of course).

Almost right, but substitute “calendar year” for “school year.”

Mr. Canada has it right. A child has to turn 5 in the calendar year in which they begin school (in September).

So if your child’s 5th birthday is on or before December 31st, they can start school in September, even if they are 4 years old. If your child’s 5th birthday is on or after January 1st, they can start school in the September following their 5th birthday.

Malcolm Gladwell makes the argument that this means that kids born in the first 3 or 4 months of the year tend to do better in team sports (especially hockey) because they are essentially a year older (and bigger) than their competition in the same grade. 40% of NHL players have their birthdays in the first 3 months of the year, for example.

Thank you everyone for the info.
It looks like my child will just miss the cut by a couple of weeks!!! I am still very confident that my child is capable to handle kindergarten, but I won’t push it.

If you’re low income, there is subsidy available for pre-school. The pre-school at the Baptist church is supposed to be really good. I have a lot of friends whose children have/are going there, and they all have said that their children are learning so much. (There IS a large element of religion though, so it depends how you feel about that.) Also, there are three strong-start programmes in town, which are free, but the parent attends WITH the child. These are both ideas that are good for a child that you think is ready for K, but is not quite the right age.

My child is in her second year at pre school, they let her in when she was 2. She is doing fine there, but I think she is ready to go to public school, but I am also fine with her staying another year. I like the idea of excelling in sports.

Yeah, generally kids will be bullied less and do better academically as well if they’re a bit older.