Saturday Night Surf LIVE Music

This weekend on March 15, Saturday night The Surf will finally step aside from its boom boom boom EDM weekend dance party and have some live rock with the band ‘All Things Living’. A nice change from having EDM music pumping from the Belmont and the Surf every weekend. Although by the end of the night DJS Chowski and DJ Lou will finish the night of spinning tracks… which i will enjoy. I Just wish there were more nights live bands would play in the bars catered to the young adults. I know since last year when prince ruperts electronic scene began to blow up it feels like bands have been pushed aside and dont garner the attention they once did. Kids now a days buying mixers and midi pads and midi keyboards instead of learning how to play a G string on the Guitar. Can kids even find Middle C on a piano now a days?

The price of a band compared to a DJ playing music is the bottom line.

[quote=“Speedy”]

The price of a band compared to a DJ playing music is the bottom line.[/quote]

At 100 dollars per DJ sometimes having up to 3 maybe even 4 is pretty much the same if not more in some cases than having a local band come in and play a set.

I don’t think it’s just the price. When I was 19 and in my early early twenties, my friends didn’t want to go to the bar to watch a live band, they thought it was for old people. I LOVE live music. I think it is so much fun. All I would get from my friends is “you can’t dance to it” Ugh, yes you can! Now those same people will go to the live music with me. Funny how things go. Young whipper snappers.

[quote=“freshprinceofrupert”]

The price of a band compared to a DJ playing music is the bottom line.
At 100 dollars per DJ sometimes having up to 3 maybe even 4 is pretty much the same if not more in some cases than having a local band come in and play a set.[/quote]

I understand that a local band playing is usually more entertaining and lots of fun.

Where in Prince Rupert will you see a bar needing 3 or 4 DJ’s. Most bars need 1 DJ don’t they ?

[quote=“Speedy”]

[quote=“freshprinceofrupert”]

At 100 dollars per DJ sometimes having up to 3 maybe even 4 is pretty much the same if not more in some cases than having a local band come in and play a set.

I understand that a local band playing is usually more entertaining and lots of fun.

Where in Prince Rupert will you see a bar needing 3 or 4 DJ’s. Most bars need 1 DJ don’t they ?[/quote]

Yeah they could go with one DJ and most bars/clubs have a house DJ who probably gets paid 20 and has drinks on the house. Ain’t nobody wants the same old music. Surf is usually dead and the Belmont dance floor is empty unless they hire a DJ with a good following. It makes a huge difference in the crowd and the music. But these guys don’t go in alone doing a four hour set, always at least 2 DJs and that’s already as much as paying a band to play.

The surf is dead period beside maybe 1 night. The surf is a night club and really isn’t set up properly to have bands play there. The bands would be better off playing at Johnny B’s or Moby Dick. For a band to play 1 night its between $600-$1000. The belmont well that place is yah don’t get me started on it.