Safety concern or money grab, you decide

Well here’s an interesting proposal from the folks at ICBC

vancouversun.com/business/Pr … story.html

Guess. A single speeding ticket makes someone a high risk? Three years of punishment PLUS the original fine?
Of course there will be lots of dawdling do-gooders who will support it.

Having a massive corporation like ICBC in bed with the RCMP in enforcement and payment schemes is a very dubious situation that should never have been allowed in the first place.

A clear example of how it is a conflict of interest is that you must pay any traffic tickets (law enforcement) before you are able to purchase insurance (civil matters).

Long story short, in my opinion they’re making common criminals out of people for their own profit and they mobilize the police force to drive revenues. Not to mention the campaigns which see the RCMP roadblocking and checking for various types of ifractions takes away from the RCMP providing better policing for much needed matters.

If statistically one with a speeding ticket is more likely to cause a collision than one without the one with the ticket should pay more for insurance. Same as if I heat my house with a wood stove, it’s higher risk I would pay more.

All vehicles should have electronic speed limiters like commercial trucks have in Ontario. The fastest speed limit in the province (and probably Canada) is 110 km/h. Vehicles should only be able to go 120 before they’re automatically limited. With the exception of emergency vehicles no one else has to go any faster than that. Save money on enforcement, save money (and lives) on crashes, save money on gas, lower emissions, etc. But of course that would be the government screwing with your right to make idiotic decisions that endanger peoples’ lives and most people wouldn’t like that.

Under further review, the government it seems would like a bit more thought put into the ICBC plans

vancouversun.com/business/so … story.html

[quote=“mrt”]If statistically one with a speeding ticket is more likely to cause a collision than one without the one with the ticket should pay more for insurance. Same as if I heat my house with a wood stove, it’s higher risk I would pay more.

All vehicles should have electronic speed limiters like commercial trucks have in Ontario. The fastest speed limit in the province (and probably Canada) is 110 km/h. Vehicles should only be able to go 120 before they’re automatically limited. With the exception of emergency vehicles no one else has to go any faster than that. Save money on enforcement, save money (and lives) on crashes, save money on gas, lower emissions, etc. But of course that would be the government screwing with your right to make idiotic decisions that endanger peoples’ lives and most people wouldn’t like that.[/quote]

Ridiculous and unenforceable unless it was adopted in all jurisdictions. I’ve been in situations where speeding up is the only way out of an accident and if the speed of my vehicle was limited I would have been in a head on and likely died. Also its my vehicle so like fuck im going to let a third party take control of it.

I’ve had a half dozen speeding tickets over 13 years of driving (in some of the highest accident cities) and 0 accidents so am I an unsafe driver? according to ICBC probably in real life absolutely not. I’ve cost ICBC a whopping 2000.00 in claims due to vandalism/theft which if they could they would raise my rates for.

fuck ICBC they make BILLIONS of dollars. There is no need to raise anyones rates.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttt, the sound of a trial balloon losing all its air

vancouversun.com/ICBC+withdr … story.html

I would not get too excited, They will refloat that boat with a different approach, But rest assured THEY will get more money from us.

Maybe they should focus on the rampant use of cellphones etc that still seems to be happening. Speed is a very relative issue to safe driving in my opinion, but the majority of people seem barely competent to drive a vehicle without the distraction of handhelds.

[quote=“mrt”]If statistically one with a speeding ticket is more likely to cause a collision than one without the one with the ticket should pay more for insurance. Same as if I heat my house with a wood stove, it’s higher risk I would pay more.

All vehicles should have electronic speed limiters like commercial trucks have in Ontario. The fastest speed limit in the province (and probably Canada) is 110 km/h. Vehicles should only be able to go 120 before they’re automatically limited. With the exception of emergency vehicles no one else has to go any faster than that. Save money on enforcement, save money (and lives) on crashes, save money on gas, lower emissions, etc. But of course that would be the government screwing with your right to make idiotic decisions that endanger peoples’ lives and most people wouldn’t like that.[/quote]

And what about the people who like to enjoy speed, legally? By racing on the track, etc? I’ve always thought law makers need to team up with local car clubs, and race tracks, to promote SAFE racing… They do in some places.

I agree about the cell phone thing. Actually the other day I saw a police officer, in his car, driving down the road talking on a cell phone. Talk about setting an example…

It’s clear by your statement, that you are unfamiliar with the law in that regard. “A police officer” is exempt!

[quote=“Cst. Ferman”]

It’s clear by your statement, that you are unfamiliar with the law in that regard. “A police officer” is exempt![/quote]

It would appear by their conduct in other matters that ‘police officers’ believe they are exempt from all laws. I do believe Monty robinson is still being paid…