Sad story

Very sad story. A time to reflect on our own circle of friends or people we come into contact with. What can we do to help our neighbor through this life?

thenorthernview.com/news/255233911.html

The true measure of a society is how it treats its’ most disadvantaged members.

Due to our culture’s overriding quest for perfection and economic success, we continue to fail.

Indeed! As a society we fail on a provincial and a federal level. We need to support the members of our society who are suffering and are least able to support themselves.

[quote=“Pantagruel”]The true measure of a society is how it treats its’ most disadvantaged members.

Due to our culture’s overriding quest for perfection and economic success, we continue to fail.[/quote]

How does this pertain to the news story?

Sometimes, you really need a fine slap on the face.

[quote=“PLA”]

Sometimes, you really need a fine slap on the face.[/quote]

Your intelligence really seems to match that of the guy in your avatar.

Serious question because there is obviously some information missing from the news story.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]
Your intelligence really seems to match that of the guy in your avatar.[/quote]

The original poster is asking you to make the inferential leap that the victims of this tragedy did not have the support that they needed to cope with living. I think that is a reasonable inference.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“crazy Horse”]
Your intelligence really seems to match that of the guy in your avatar.[/quote]

The original poster is asking you to make the inferential leap that the victims of this tragedy did not have the support that they needed to cope with living. I think that is a reasonable inference.[/quote]

Yes, I understood the OP message. It was the reference to the “culture’s overriding quest for perfection and economic success” and " how we treat our most disadvantaged members" that made me think there was something else to the story that wasn’t printed. It isn’t always a systemic failure where suicide is concerned but that post infers that is was.

I’ll just ignore the troll and try to keep a bit of respect in this thread.

That is difficult to say unless an inquest happens. A very tragic story. My heart goes out to the friends and family.

Indeed a sad and tragic story.
theprovince.com/news/Prince+ … story.html

The original question - what can we do to help? - The government needs to hear that the available supports aren’t enough. The money made available when the child is older is nothing considering costs for care for those requiring around the clock supervision. How can any family deal with this level of care on their own? How can a single parent cope?

Write letters, make phone calls, be a nuisance, encourage other people in similar circumstances to speak out.

You know the sad reality is often times nothing could be done to help. Could more have been done in this situation? maybe. Maybe even with more support things would have turned out the same way. We will never know and throwing more money at the problem is not necessarily the answer.

I’m sure we can agree we’d all like to see situations like this prevented but the fact of the matter is there are limited funds and a lot of hands reaching for them.

What is unfortunate here is a mother at the end of her rope with in her opinion nowhere to turn. Were her family aware of how dire the situation was? I’d like to think if they were they would have stepped in and taken him away at least for enough time to cool off. Where was the boys father?

From the article it didnt appear this woman was without a support network and it didnt appear anyone saw this coming. All in all a sad situation but the fact this isn’t a frequent occurrence speaks to how well we actually do as a society.

Agreed. Funds are limited. However, the choice made by our government to limit funds and reduce support for people at risk is at best a poor one. In my opinion people who are deemed to be at high risk should be given support to help them cope. I think the increased cash outlay would be money well spent.

[quote=“hitest”]

Agreed. Funds are limited. However, the choice made by our government to limit funds and reduce support for people at risk is at best a poor one. In my opinion people who are deemed to be at high risk should be given support to help them cope. I think the increased cash outlay would be money well spent.[/quote]

The problem is where does the cash come from? do we take it from other programs or do we raise taxes? How much tax are you willing to pay? Granted a lot of our funding woes could be resolved with finding efficiencies but there will always be cases that slip through the cracks no matter how well funded our social programs are.

This story appears to be gathering a fair amount of attention within the province and across Canada.

A couple of points: 1) I think that it is extremely courageous of the family to have made the story more public in an attempt to encourage the development of wider and more accessible services here in the north. 2) Autism is a diagnosed medical condition that appears to be genetic in nature. 3)To be concerned about the costs of appropriate treatment is, to some degree a red herring. The real concern is the lack of will to support the needs of those facing a life-long medical condition. 4) Finally, the disparity of service provision and accessibility to services for those living in the north compared to the southern parts of the province is a genuine concern - for any medical condition.

April, is I believe, autism awareness month. Those children, young adults, and adults with autism have a wide variety of needs and abilities.

To focus on the needs is important.

To be aware of the abilities and contributions of high-functioning individuals with autism is enlightening.(Do a bit of Googling).

To suggest that solutions to some of these issues is merely ‘too expensive’ is possibly the saddest part of the story.

[quote=“jesus”]
The problem is where does the cash come from? do we take it from other programs or do we raise taxes? How much tax are you willing to pay? Granted a lot of our funding woes could be resolved with finding efficiencies but there will always be cases that slip through the cracks no matter how well funded our social programs are.[/quote]

Indeed. It is all a matter of what we value as a society, that is, what we are willing to fund. I am blessed with two healthy children; I am very thankful for this. However, as we know there are many families that are having difficulties raising children with special needs.
I truly feel that Canada has lost its way provincially and federally. Canada should be a beacon of hope and freedom. I feel that the beacon is now on a dimmer switch as we shift towards the North American industrial model.
We should care a little bit more about our neighbours. I do concede that it will be expensive to help a stressed parent. We all lose a bit when people slip through the cracks.

No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.

John Donne “Devotion #22” {published 1623} (posted with original spelling and punctuation)