Rupert residents trending towards apathy over civic issues

As a first step, the Mayor should appoint individual councillors (or small committees of councillors) to portfolios responsible for the various issues that citizens are concerned about. Is that specific enough for you?

[quote=“BTravenn”]

As a first step, the Mayor should appoint individual councillors (or small committees of councillors) to portfolios responsible for the various issues that citizens are concerned about. Is that specific enough for you?[/quote]

I actually like that.

But some will say that it is not solving anything. That is my concern with this thread. If the council doesn’t consult and hides behind closed doors they are accused of secrecy and rightfully so.

But if they do get out and consult they are accused of grandstanding.

But maybe part of the problem is who is actually in control. I am not familiar with how things are run, but are city councillors (and school trustees for that matter) accused of micromanaging if they get overly involved. Is council’s job to listen to staff and pass or not pass ideas that they bring to the table or is it council’s job to get ideas and pass them on to staff to see how workable they are. In what direction do ideas, problems, solutions flow?

[quote=“BTravenn”]
As a first step, the Mayor should appoint individual councilors (or small committees of councilors) to portfolios responsible for the various issues that citizens are concerned about. Is that specific enough for you?[/quote]

BTravenn, there are some committees already in place. Some councilors sit on the Heritage, Library, Green Task, Health (oops that one they dissolved, guess they did not like the requests and feedback).

Wait a sec, ah found it!! If one looks on the City’s web site “Mayor and Council” they do have a list of committees.

princerupert.ca/page.php?id_ … _section=5

Currently Active Committees

Cow Bay Design Guidelines Steering Committee (2008 - now)
This committee studies and provide recommendations to improve Cow Bay and Downtown area.

Zoning Bylaw Review and Update Steering Committee (2008 - now)
This committee jump start the review and update of our Zoning Bylaw.

Green Task Force (2007 - 2008))
This committee tackles the challenge of reducing Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions within Prince Rupert and establishes Prince Rupert Energy Plan.

Parking Task Force (2007 - 2008)
This committee tackles parking issues.

Then if you go on the City’s web page “City Hall/city projects” the very last on the list is their Strategic Plan. Sure they will accomplish many of the items listed and why not? Those are realistic and something the city can do. So their report card goes up a bit, right?

[quote=“DWhite”]
… Finding the solutions is the problem. And the biggest problem is the economic distress that we have been suffering.

… Right now, beyond channelling Pete Lester, I’d like to know what others think council should be doing. Specifically.[/quote]

I think that virtually everybody would agree with you that the economic situation is the greatest problem here. But do any councillors sit on the Prince Rupert - Port Edward Economic Development Commission? The city managers are definitely involved (which supports my contention about local government here being dominated by non-elected officials). Even a search of A Town Called Podunk does not reveal who else is on the executive. Again, does that not seem a bit odd? If we want the council to try to address economic problems, what is the purpose of the commission and why is it so detached from the council?

Perhaps economic development should be a city function (as happens in other places) that the council discusses (at their public meetings) rather than being farmed out to an obscure “commission” that is almost never discussed.

There is no doubt that the city staff really run the town. Want to see change quickly, have a councillor table a motion to amend the pay and benefit packages of city staff so civil dismissal/termination denies any severance pay. Watch the bureaucrats move like never before. The only real good the mayor and council can do is create and amend bylaws to govern bureaucrats, to keep them the hell out of the way of people pushing for change. Like I said before, Rupert needs to think massive. Its current infrastructure couldn’t support 25,000 new buildings, let alone a million. Instead of paying consultants, pay geologists. Instead of hoping for opportunities, build the infrastructure to support it and it will come to you. The island needs to be stabilized, water mains laid, a massive state-of-the-art sewage plant installed, sewer lines installed, roads redesigned, wind turbines installed and attached to the local power grid, etc.

This foundational step alone will create hundreds of jobs for years, restore hope and bring prosperity to local property owners and businesses beyond their imagination. But it is only the beginning…

Very good, Bettyboop86, but click the links for each of those committees and what information do you find? That’s actually a pretty short list of committees, leaving aside that two of the four “currently active committees” appear to have expired in 2008 and are no longer active, and that no further information is provided for the other two.

Library and Heritage are semi-autonomous and are a somewhat different story; but it’s good to see that somebody or another sits on those boards to monitor that their community grants are being spent properly.

And who is on the committees? Do you know who to talk to if you have a concern? How often do they report to the council? Do you think that those committees are being effectively managed by the Mayor in his capacity as CEO? Or are they managed by the city manager or the city planner and not really council committees at all?

Here’s an interesting quote from the Community Charter:
141 (1) The mayor must establish standing committees for matters the mayor considers would be better dealt with by committee and must appoint persons to those committees.
(2) At least half of the members of a standing committee must be council members.

Note the word “must”. What standing committees has this mayor established? The few committees you mentioned seem to be special committees that “may” be appointed. I don’t know if he has appointed any standing committees. Perhaps he should take a look at that requirement.

Did you happen to find a list of portfolios that the Mayor has assigned to individual council members? That’s always handy if a citizen wants to raise a concern about a particular issue to an elected official. You mentioned the Quality of Life plan a while back. Whose portfolio does that fall under? You’re a civic minded person and you do your homework. Who will you be talking to if you have concerns? Staff? Or is there a council member who will receive your comments? Or will you just talk to whichever council member that you happen to run into?

Finally, do you think that you have enough information about what individual council members are responsible for, apart from attending meetings every two weeks, one of which the public is excluded from and the other they’re allowed to attend? Perhaps, everything considered, there is some room for improvement.

[quote=“wildwill”]There is no doubt that the city staff really run the town. Want to see change quickly, have a councillor table a motion to amend the pay and benefit packages of city staff so civil dismissal/termination denies any severance pay. Watch the bureaucrats move like never before. The only real good the mayor and council can do is create and amend bylaws to govern bureaucrats, to keep them the hell out of the way of people pushing for change. Like I said before, Rupert needs to think massive. Its current infrastructure couldn’t support 25,000 new buildings, let alone a million. Instead of paying consultants, pay geologists. Instead of hoping for opportunities, build the infrastructure to support it and it will come to you. The island needs to be stabilized, water mains laid, a massive state-of-the-art sewage plant installed, sewer lines installed, roads redesigned, wind turbines installed and attached to the local power grid, etc.

This foundational step alone will create hundreds of jobs for years, restore hope and bring prosperity to local property owners and businesses beyond their imagination. But it is only the beginning…[/quote]

And the money will come from where?

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“wildwill”]There is no doubt that the city staff really run the town. Want to see change quickly, have a councillor table a motion to amend the pay and benefit packages of city staff so civil dismissal/termination denies any severance pay. Watch the bureaucrats move like never before. The only real good the mayor and council can do is create and amend bylaws to govern bureaucrats, to keep them the hell out of the way of people pushing for change. Like I said before, Rupert needs to think massive. Its current infrastructure couldn’t support 25,000 new buildings, let alone a million. Instead of paying consultants, pay geologists. Instead of hoping for opportunities, build the infrastructure to support it and it will come to you. The island needs to be stabilized, water mains laid, a massive state-of-the-art sewage plant installed, sewer lines installed, roads redesigned, wind turbines installed and attached to the local power grid, etc.

This foundational step alone will create hundreds of jobs for years, restore hope and bring prosperity to local property owners and businesses beyond their imagination. But it is only the beginning…[/quote]

And the money will come from where?[/quote]

BT, you shame yourself. Perhaps instead of studying committees, you need to research civic, municipal, provincial and federal infrastructure grants. If I have to spell it out for you, the price is $250,000 per project, with a $125,000 retainer. You do illustrate probably the biggest obstacle to Rupert’s development, that nasty habit of crossing your arms and saying, “Okay, then, who’s going to pay for it?”, as if the local tax base could. It’s far easier to answer who is NOT going to pay, and they will be the taxpayers of Prince Rupert.

Maybe you need to refocus, away from usless committees, and toward knowledge that will transform the north coast. That is, only if you care about the north coast more than howimportant you look or sound. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, think small, be small. Worrying about committees when the whole town is a shambles demonstrates a horrific case of small-mindedness.

[quote=“wildwill”]
BT, you shame yourself. Perhaps instead of studying committees, you need to research civic, municipal, provincial and federal infrastructure grants. If I have to spell it out for you, the price is $250,000 per project, with a $125,000 retainer. You do illustrate probably the biggest obstacle to Rupert’s development, that nasty habit of crossing your arms and saying, “Okay, then, who’s going to pay for it?”, as if the local tax base could. It’s far easier to answer who is NOT going to pay, and they will be the taxpayers of Prince Rupert.

Maybe you need to refocus, away from usless committees, and toward knowledge that will transform the north coast. That is, only if you care about the north coast more than howimportant you look or sound. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, think small, be small. Worrying about committees when the whole town is a shambles demonstrates a horrific case of small-mindedness.[/quote]

OK, at the risk of shaming myself and demonstrating a horrific case of small-mindedness, may I ask how we can get some of this non-Prince Rupert tax money to pay for this town of dreams. “Build it and they will come.” That may come across as sarcasm and I apologize, but you appear to have very strong ideas that council should be listening to. Are they aware of what you are proposing and how easy? hard? it would be to get us there.

There are grant monies out there. But I am not sure $250,000 a project is what you are looking at. I really wish you were on an economic development committee (seriously) where you could push some of these ideas forward. If what you say is possible then we need people like you in positions of some power to get things done. As I said, before, unless someone like you runs with your proposed platform or is willing to sit on a committee to help develop it, then we are going to continue to elect the same old same old.

From wildwill’s points above

"BT, you shame yourself. Perhaps instead of studying committees, you need to research civic, municipal, provincial and federal infrastructure grants. If I have to spell it out for you, the price is $250,000 per project, with a $125,000 retainer. You do illustrate probably the biggest obstacle to Rupert’s development, that nasty habit of crossing your arms and saying, “Okay, then, who’s going to pay for it?”, as if the local tax base could. It’s far easier to answer who is NOT going to pay, and they will be the taxpayers of Prince Rupert.

Maybe you need to refocus, away from usless committees, and toward knowledge that will transform the north coast. That is, only if you care about the north coast more than howimportant you look or sound. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, think small, be small. Worrying about committees when the whole town is a shambles demonstrates a horrific case of small-mindedness.

Wildwill I’ve been reading the various views in the debate for a fair amount of time now, and while originally you offered up some valid points and more than a few interesting concepts, you haven’t really identified any current examples of such grand planning in place in other communities.

Most Rupertites I’m quite sure would much rather see the city growing and the population increasing rather than decreasing (though I understand some folks don’t believe the population has decreased, something which baffles the mind, but I digress).

Anyways, while not as steeped in the wonders of the grant system as perhaps you, in the end the city would most likely have to finance some portion of and maintaining any far reaching blue print, which in our current economic climate would most likely require a massive injection of money, most likely through bank loans (with the accompanying interest rates), as the taxpayers probably are almost tapped to the max. Any ideas on how we would fund our share of the bar tab there.

The whole concept of the Port’s turn towards the container industry for instance was that it would help assist the process of greater industrialization, with secondary industries and service industries for the port’s cranes, though so far that hasn’t exactly been the case on the local scene. Prince George seems to have benefited from the port in Rupert with CN increasing its infrastructure there, the recently opened terminal there which serves as a redirection point and a location for container stuffing would have had a much bigger footprint for jobs here, but instead has added to PG’s economic base, most likely based on geographic advantage.

The key, in my opinion anyways for development up here, would be in attracting private industry with its jobs into the region, a process which at times seems to run counter to a number of groups across the North, who have difficulties with what they produce or what impact that those industries may have on the environment. Until the region reconciles those competing interests the prospect of luring large scale development that won’t require massive injections of public money seems remote.

As for the prospect of our own personal pot of government gold to throw at the problems, with the world’s economy sliding and sputtering as it has over the last five years or so, with more still on the horizon, it would seem that the not too distant future may see that the days of endless funding coming from a spigot of public monies comes to the end of its run.

So we may need a Plan B anyways I imagine.

Before that happens though, it would be interesting to see where your map to better days has been implemented, so provide us with a few cities and towns where you believe the local politicians and citizenry get it. Wouldn’t mind going on a field trip to see what such a place looks like and see how those residents are funding it all on someone else’s dime.

Most folks probably agree that things need to change, but I’m not sure that all of your plans are as practical as you suggest.

“Wildwill I’ve been reading the various views in the debate for a fair amount of time now, and while originally you offered up some valid points and more than a few interesting concepts, you haven’t really identified any current examples of such grand planning in place in other communities.”

Well Po, unless someone is paying me, I ain’t going to! Why, oh why, does everyone look to the left, right, front and rear to see what others are doing? THAT IS THE PROBLEM!!! Are there no real leaders left???

Let me give you a recent example: Prince George has been in the process of developing a “community plan” for several years (back to '07 I believe). Part of that plan was to sell off the community 18 hole golf course, Pine Valley Golf Course, and develop it into housing. The plan included keeping and upgrading the privately owned and operated “executive” golf course, the Prince George Golf Course, across the street (were all the big money are members). Both courses had been devastated by the mountain pine beetle, resulting in almost total deforestation. The executive course was obviously maintained much better (larger manitenance budget), but Pine Valley was the only community owned, centrally located course that all ages, skill and ability levels can play.

A small group of Pine Valley supporters had formed the Friends of Pine Valley in 2007, a group with the mandate of keeping and restoring the golf course back to its former appearence (before the deforestation). Over the next few years they tried to approach city council, to get media attention, etc. with dismal results. City Hall stone-walled them and the media weren’t really interested (most of the newpapers executives were all members of the PG Course). Until the spring of 2010, the plan to get rid of Pine Valley remained firmly in place. In February I happened to see a re-broadcast of prior city hall meetings, in particular, one that featured a plea by representatives of the Friends of Pine Valley to to get answers about the course’s fate. Always having the back of the “little guys”, and being someone that really does love the little course (and who was heartbroken to see how horribly vandalized and run down it had become), I got in touch with the Friends and got myself invited to a meeting. At that meeting was a rep from the City’s Leisure Services, the course operator and 7 members of the Friends. I was introduced and sat quietly observing. The city was very reluctant to put any money into upgrades of any sort, but felt they may be able to put $5,000 toward some very minor improvements. I listened to how the group could NOT get city hall to confirm or deny the end of Pine Valley, how green fees diminished and vandalism increased each and every year, etc. The city, in all fairness, was waiting for just the right economic incentive on the PG course parcel of land to finalize Pine Valley’s demise.

All in all, I listened to almost an hour and a half of frustrations, naysaying, gloom and doom. Finally, I could keep my trap shut no more! I looked the city guy dead in the eye, and said, “I’m confused. Why are people even talking to the damn city to begin with. ‘City Hall’ does not own Pine Valley, the taxpayers do. The problem here is that the community is no longer involved in operation the course, and no longer has a sense of civic ownership. There is only one way to restore that, and that is just to do what needs to be done, and the city can go f__k itself. I suggest doing an Extreme Makeover, inviting all sectors of the community to become involved. We will restore community ownership of the course and politically force the city’s hand in favour of Pine Valley.” The look on the city guy’s face was priceless.

The Extreme Makeover took place on May 28th, 2010, kicked off with the mayor and a youth member planting the first tree. The community rallied and donated time, money and materials. In less than 12 hours, the entire landscape of the Pine Valley Golf Course was transformed dramatically. All in all, over 6,000 trees of all sizes were planted, planter boxes and trash enclosures built and donated, hundreds of bedding plants and perrenials were planted, flower beds cleared, litter removed, etc. After 4 years, and just two weeks after the Extreme Makeover, the official community plan was suddenly released. The final result; due to recent work done by community ‘stakeholders’ on the Pine Valley Golf Course, the Prince George Golf Course is slated for green space and residental development. The Pine Valley Golf Course will now stay and remain a community course forever. Feel free to walk over and have a look for yourselves the next time you’re in P.G. (Pine Valley is across the street from Costco). While it looks amazingly better now, in 10 years it is going to be an unbelievably beautiful course, but best of all, it will never be destroyed. In fact the city now plans to add a driving range and increase the maintenance/upgrading budget and is looking at 3P upgrades of the course’s sprinkler system. All the prior vandalism, that got worse every year - ceased entirely. Pine Valley revenue for the 2010 season far exceeded revenues earned in previous decades. In the end, all the “good old boys” money, and all their political pressure, could not prevail against the will of the people. This is just one example of how it only takes the passion of one person to change the course of history.

Like I said, I’m sick of small minded people who spend their lives trembling in fear of doing too much, too little or anything at all. I eat assholes like them for breakfast. I am a proud and active bureaucratic bully. In many ways, I am much like Charles Hayes. I see the big picture, I have the abilty to assemble and deploy specialized squads and the balls to sweep obstructions aside to get things done. I’m sure there are those every bit as motivated, and probably way more qualified, than me in Rupert. You just need to motivate them.

[quote=“wildwill”]“Wildwill I’ve been reading the various views in the debate for a fair amount of time now, and while originally you offered up some valid points and more than a few interesting concepts, you haven’t really identified any current examples of such grand planning in place in other communities.”

Well Po, unless someone is paying me, I ain’t going to! [/quote]

That’s the spirit. But let me slightly rephrase Podunkian’s question. Are you aware of communities that have done just as you describe but you won’t tell us unless we pay you? Or, if we pay you are you willing to search for said communities?

I have no problem with much of what have said (lack of specifices aside). We all agree that something needs to be done. But outside of finding that strong committed leader who will take us to the Promised Land, I am uncertain what you expect.

I certainly commend your battle with Prince George coouncil over the saving of a golf course. But at the same time, (and I know nothing of the situation except what you gave us) city hall was planning housing development for the golf course. Mightn’t that be considered the bold vision we expect out of our elected members. I know. I know. The housing development could go elsewhere. My point though is that no matter what is planned there will be arguments over its value, its cost, its impact on the environment etc. etc. I really think you are making the solving of our problems easier than they are.

But I will agree with you based on your golf course example. If people are truly committed to a cause and are prepared to work toward its accomplishment then there is a lot that we can do, preferably with, but also without, city support.

Not to put words in your mouth, but perhaps you are saying it is put up or shut up. If we want to solve some of the problems within our city - those that are within our grasp - then maybe we should start organizing. Maybe we should get those - I hate to say it - committees up and running on our own. And drag city council along with us.

Is that what you are saying?

Like I asked Po Po, why is everyone obessessed with what the hell others are doing? Their situations and circumstances are soooo vastly different than Rupert’s. The reasons that I won’t provide a list is that you can easily acquire one for yourself, and because what others are doing is totally redundant. I really, really do NOT want to spell things out is so that some dim-witted wanna-be ends up getting the credit.

I know firsthand Who the problems are, What the solutions are and How to take things to levels deemed impossible by local attitudes. But, like I said, I ain’t handing it over to socially and politically immature boys and then expecting a man’s job to get done. What are your feelings on the fairly new cruise facility there? Would you like to hear the truth behind it?

[quote=“wildwill”]Like I asked Po Po, why is everyone obessessed with what the hell others are doing? Their situations and circumstances are soooo vastly different than Rupert’s. The reasons that I won’t provide a list is that you can easily acquire one for yourself, and because what others are doing is totally redundant. I really, really do NOT want to spell things out is so that some dim-witted wanna-be ends up getting the credit.

I know firsthand Who the problems are, What the solutions are and How to take things to levels deemed impossible by local attitudes. But, like I said, I ain’t handing it over to socially and politically immature boys and then expecting a man’s job to get done. What are your feelings on the fairly new cruise facility there? Would you like to hear the truth behind it?[/quote]

Whoa whoa there ghost of Charles Hays, not really a good idea to insult the audience if you’re trying to have your views taken seriously.

No one is asking you for the secret to the Oreo cookie here, rather just a few examples of the more enlightened of communities that seem to have captured the spirit of your theory of economic development.

As for your thoughts on the cruise ship terminal, care to expand as we’re always open to a good tale or two!

“Whoa whoa there ghost of Charles Hays, not really a good idea to insult the audience if you’re trying to have your views taken seriously.”

The only people who will be insulted are those that … “the shoe fits”. I am not the ghost, or, any form a reincarnation of Charles Hayes. I merely stated that in many ways we were similar. We both had/have big dreams. We both insist(ed) that we tell politicians what to do, not the other way around. We both believe(d) that social ettiquette is, at best, an inconvenience. We both believe(d) in Prince Rupert. How you interpreted that as me being the “ghost of Charles Hayes” escapes me.

As far as “a few examples…”, come on Po, does Dubai ring a bell, would you like a detailed list of China’s examples? I already hear the words forming in your mouth…“but they have billions and billions behind them.” So does Rupert, it’s all about who you ask. Do you think Charley went to London to discuss the development of Prince Rupert with Canada’s prime minister and the Queen? Was he pinning the port’s development to help from taxpayers or government agencies? Hell no, he was meeting with incredibly wealthy investors. The business of large scale development is still done the same way today. Those investors could be individuals, consortiums, governments, etc. or a combination thereof. Like I said, quit thinking small!!!

[quote=“wildwill”]“Whoa whoa there ghost of Charles Hays, not really a good idea to insult the audience if you’re trying to have your views taken seriously.”

The only people who will be insulted are those that … “the shoe fits”. I am not the ghost, or, any form a reincarnation of Charles Hayes. I merely stated that in many ways we were similar. We both had/have big dreams. We both insist(ed) that we tell politicians what to do, not the other way around. We both believe(d) that social ettiquette is, at best, an inconvenience. We both believe(d) in Prince Rupert. How you interpreted that as me being the “ghost of Charles Hayes” escapes me.

As far as “a few examples…”, come on Po, does Dubai ring a bell, would you like a detailed list of China’s examples? I already hear the words forming in your mouth…“but they have billions and billions behind them.” So does Rupert, it’s all about who you ask. Do you think Charley went to London to discuss the development of Prince Rupert with Canada’s prime minister and the Queen? Was he pinning the port’s development to help from taxpayers or government agencies? Hell no, he was meeting with incredibly wealthy investors. The business of large scale development is still done the same way today. Those investors could be individuals, consortiums, governments, etc. or a combination thereof. Like I said, quit thinking small!!![/quote]

Hoho…It’s been a couple of days since I had time to read the update of this thread…I did not realize that Wildwill was the reincarnation of Bill Gates, Steven Jobs, Ted Turner and Benjamin Franklin all rolled into one.
Prince George should feel blessed to have you. As well, I do feel privaliged you find it in your heart to take your valuable time to crap on the small ideas us simpletons bore you with.
Please let us know when the temple being erected in your honor, I’m love to come and bask in your greatness.

Oh my, apparently I offended you BOW. I wasn’t trying trying to infer that you were a dumbass, in fact I find you to be quite the opposite. Perhaps what really galls you is the fact that a simpleton like me can do something that you’re afraid to do. One of the benefits of ignorance is being able to plow ahead without being distracted by social graces. Everyone is capable of wonders. If you want to visit some of the greatest ideas in history, go to the graveyard. It’s full of great ideas, and the people who did nothing with them. They have an excuse for not doing anything with their dreams - death - what’s yours?

I love the concept that in order to achieve success I’m allowed to be a jerk to those around me (not implying that you are one, wildwill), and that in fact it’s fairly a necessity. Now that would be a winning electoral platform.

I appreciate that Wildwill has kept the thread on the front page, because discussion about how the council engages with the public is important, but the diatribe seems to have degenerated into indiscriminate blasts against all and sundry. That’s not very productive and after a while it’s a bit boring.

The major criticism seems to be that small mindedness and naysaying prevail here, but any suggestion as to how the city might change its ways of doing things, to be more inclusive and effective, in itself becomes the subject of naysaying and dismissiveness.

I’m an advocate of looking elsewhere for ideas, but when it comes to criticizing or defending how things work here, perhaps I’m parochial but I think that’s mostly the prerogative of people who live here these days.

When asked to provide an example of a think big, game changing way of doing things, with massive investment from elsewhere, the illustration provided, entirely attributable we’re told to one person who “eats assholes for breakfast” and resembles Charles Hayes, is a one day work bee to clean up and plant some trees at the rather decrepit PG golf course.

Ironically this history changing event essentially preserved the status quo ante, other than the pine trees that had been killed by bugs, about which nothing could be done other than cutting them down. I think that bulldozers should have been brought in and a new mixed commercial/residential neighbourhood built, but that’s just my view as someone passing through on occasion.

Hopefully the thread will get back on topic and continue on.

Unfortunately, to a large degree Guitar, I am a jerk. Some people are nice, some rude, some gruff, some shy, some jerks. It’s all about being who you are, and knowing who you aren’t. I’ve tried the whole, “put on your best face” stuff, and found it to be incredibly stressful, confusing to other people (it’s hard to maintain continuity when you’re faking) and to me, so wrong. It takes all kinds of people, with all kinds of personalities, working together by admitting their differences, their strengths and their weaknesses and working around them to accomplish a greater goal than personal glory.

I refuse to let others, with their snide, condescending and rather immature comments, slow me down for a minute. Perhaps that’s their personality and they are simply expressing it. I try not to go out of my way to be a jerk, but it’s as natural to me as spots on a cheeta. Take a look back in history and take a look at how many leaders, in all capacities (kings, presidents, city councillors, etc.) got to where they are by being jerks or bullying and intimidating, physically and/or mentally. People want ‘tough’ running the show, it gives them the sense of “all’s well”. I have no political aspirations, and certainly wouldn’t have the patience for it if I did:-) Let me ask you this though, is there a single successful female political or business figure that you can think of that got where she is other than by being ‘tough-as-nails’?

“When asked to provide an example of a think big, game changing way of doing things, with massive investment from elsewhere, the illustration provided, entirely attributable we’re told to one person who “eats assholes for breakfast” and resembles Charles Hayes, is a one day work bee to clean up and plant some trees at the rather decrepit PG golf course.”

My, my BT, I assume a strong letter is to follow? If you’d look around the world, you’d see 3P’s happening on scales you apparently can’t fathom. It’s occuring throughout Indonesia, China, in Dubai, etc. The population of the earth is exploding and there is a huge market for temperate seascapes in stable political environments. The effort was certainly not attributable to one person, and nowhere does it state that. I don’t recall insulting the geography of Prince Rupert, but if insulting P.G.'s makes ya feel better… Perhaps the next time you feel the need to defend yourself, try doing it like the grown-ups do. I know there’s been a number of insulting and snide posts by people who feel the need to belittle anyone they see doing things instead of flapping their lips about them, and I want them to know that it has made me feel small, kind of like a dime in a room full of pennies.