Rupert residents trending towards apathy over civic issues

With attendance at the civic organized community meetings registering on the low side, if Rupertites have issues of concern with their city government, they clearly will need to start showing a bit more active engagement in them.

The second of the city’s three scheduled meetings took place last Wednesday, and much like the one before it in September, there were almost as many civic employees in attendance as residents. A turn out that must be a disappointment for the two councillors Anna Ashley and Gina Garon, that had pushed for the sessions earlier this year.

(from the blog a town called podunk, click on the link below to see the entire item atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.com/2 … wards.html)

I think this has more to do with people just being overly fed up with all talk and no action with this current crop of municipal councilors/mayor.

Look at the downtown vandalism issue, it has been occurring for what, like 2 or 3 years with absolutely NOTHING being done during the time to address this issue.

Look at the downtown parking debacle, Watson Island debacle…I could go on and on…putting it bluntly…this current regime sucks the big one, and I don’t blame people for not going to this community meeting, especially when it is most likely going to lead to diddly squat being done about anything.

The entire group of councilors and especially our mayor need to be given the boot.

I would guess that the low turn-out is due to the fact that residents, and the city itself understand which issues they and it are facing however, they have no idea how to fix it. Which is why we pay city councillors and the mayor…whom as expressed by the general population, are perceived as not being able-bodied enough to do so.

One could assume everyone understands the issues and the better part of the issue is the economic decline of our city. A good example of the frustration I can see with our municipal government is the over-dabbling in privatized business and not enough focus on infrastructure.

I think city councillors should focus on attraction and promotion of our infrastructure and location which, at least Pond did. Attract industry and business with reduced taxes and local hiring stipulations. A business will receive X amount of tax discount provided they hire X amount of local residents. You may not get as much tax, but the people that MAKE this city will receive work which DOES pay the tax.

For example, our city preaches ‘tourism’ but what is the attraction? Coffee shops and quaint (I think that’s the word?) places along a walking route - everywhere has those attractions because they’re ‘easy.’ A tourist attraction is something that most tourists can participate in/on/with that is truly unique and memorable. We had one tourist attraction a long time ago which is gone - an accessible mountain top. Put a trolly back up the face of that mountain, or a road. Have private industry pay for it and in return, no taxes for X years. At least then dabbling in business won’t be a pointless excercise.

Economic growth and recession is a fairly common phenomenon. We are, and have been for some time, been experiencing a severe downturn. Our elected representatives in all areas have not been able to assess the situation and to plan a logical course of action. When times are good it doesn’t take much more than a dim-witted monkey to run the show. Just keep your hands off the wheel and get in as many photo-ops as you can. The real work comes during the bad times. We need people of integrity and vision who will take responsibility and do the hard work. Our town has been in hard times for quite some time now and we still don’t have a plan of action. Obviously we have the photo-op people in place when we need people of true integrity and ability.

Speaking for myself, I wasn’t there because I don’t see any serious leadership coming from our council, so speaking to them is a further waste of my time. As far as I can tell there is no plan for the city, besides living in defence mode. Just do what you can for the problems as they pop up. I’ve heard or seen nothing of a plan to carry us into the future.

I’m not sure I can agree with the previous comments.

We have many highly paid individuals working for the City so I am sure they have the answers to all our problems. If not, why are we paying them so very very well?

[quote=“dailymews”]

We have many highly paid individuals working for the City so I am sure they have the answers to all our problems. If not, why are we paying them so very very well?[/quote]

I think you have hit one nail on the head there , but I do think this council has been silenced by the Mayor on many occassions. I will say it once more , every council member took their seat in council thanks to the citizens so therefore they should be allowed to speak out and share what is pissing many of us off. I was glad to see that the vote for a four year term hit the garbage can. I appreciate Anna Ashleys effort in regards to the meetings and the taking time to meet with me when I contacted her regarding certain issues at hand.

The community forums essentially appear to be ‘focus groups’, with the City leaders following the example of marketers by convening small group discussions where those who pay for services can talk about how future offerings could better address the needs and wants of those who live here.

I’m not sure if low turn outs reflect public apathy over the issues - people here usually have thoughts about how the place is run - or just lack of interest in this particular format. Some people are into focus groups and some are not, much like some studiously fill out questionnaires while others throw them away, and some conscientiously answer pollsters’ questions while others hang up the phone with less than their usual courtesy.

No one needs to make excuses or offer regrets for non-attendance. The only citizens who should put or shut up on occasion are those who don’t bother to vote then subsequently complain.

The forums, even though not well attended, seem to have helped the city staff develop some policy ideas. I see, for instance, that the staff used citizen feedback to draft suggested revisions to the proposed revitalization tax break bylaw.

It’s good that the city staff get out and talk to some of the people who ultimately bankroll their salaries. Hopefully, the staff were sufficiently into the spirit of things that they donated their time (like the citizens who attended), rather than later clocking off from their regular duties at time and a half in lieu. In any event, it sounds like they did okay, and maybe better than that, at the forums held thus far.

I don’t quite see, though, why the council has rejected out of hand the more open-ended format of a town hall style meeting where mayor and councillors take centre stage and lead the discussions. Focus groups shouldn’t be viewed as an alternative, as in it’s either one or the other. Both have their place.

There is something pretty fundamental in a democracy about those in power stating their views in public and inviting those who are not in power to pose questions, rhetorical or otherwise, or offer comments. Parliament would be rather hollow if question period was abolished and replaced by a focus group. All-candidates meetings would not be very interesting if everyone broke into little scrums to meet and greet those seeking office.

Would a meeting where citizens could raise whatever issues are on their minds somehow threaten the peace, order and good government of the city? I doubt it.

I suspect that even if there were some verbal fireworks, or the meeting was otherwise somewhat haywire, on balance citizens would feel a bit better about how they’re governed, and about the people who make the decisions (all too often in meetings from which the public is excluded) if citizens were empowered to set the topics for discussion for a change.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

I don’t quite see, though, why the council has rejected out of hand the more open-ended format of a town hall style meeting where mayor and councillors take centre stage and lead the discussions. Focus groups shouldn’t be viewed as an alternative, as in it’s either one or the other. Both have their place.

There is something pretty fundamental in a democracy about those in power stating their views in public and inviting those who are not in power to pose questions, rhetorical or otherwise, or offer comments. Parliament would be rather hollow if question period was abolished and replaced by a focus group. All-candidates meetings would not be very interesting if everyone broke into little scrums to meet and greet those seeking office.

Would a meeting where citizens could raise whatever issues are on their minds somehow threaten the peace, order and good government of the city? I doubt it.

I suspect that even if there were some verbal fireworks, or the meeting was otherwise somewhat haywire, on balance citizens would feel a bit better about how they’re governed, and about the people who make the decisions (all too often in meetings from which the public is excluded) if citizens were empowered to set the topics for discussion for a change.[/quote]

A balanced and fair review. When organizations display control there is a trade-off. Fear of the unexpected is reduced and in some cases eliminated. The other side is distrust and perhaps apathy as those who are being controlled find little purpose in participating. Being open and transparent creates uncertainty throughout the process but it may well be worth it in the end.

Political apathy is usually the result of political boredom. Boredom is brought about by electing the same old, same old, and expecting different results. A classic example is Jack Mussallem. In my opinion Jack is a nice enough guy when he needs to be, but he is at best nothing more than a social leech. He has haunted Prince Rupert’s city hall for decades, in multiple capacities, with varying degrees of (in)competence.

The reality is that Jack is just a follower, not a leader. His years of being a public servant prove that he is only capable of working ‘within’ a prestructured environment. He is entirely incapable of ‘creating’ a new one. He has been a huge detriment to Prince Rupert for decades, forestalling and obstructing any development unless he personally profited. Why the heck people in Rupert haven’t tarred, feathered and run his butt out of town is beyond me. Rupert needs a mover, shaker, creator, energizer - none of which describe Jack. Yet, he’s mayor. Wake up Prince Rupert, the town has had a steady population decline every since he first became involved in city politics. Go figure!

The truth is that the old guard and city bureaucrats, who are extreme protectionists in every way, have driven the community to its knees. The good news is that many of them are dying or moving away, finally! The bad news is that Jack is their esteemed leader. Few non-First Nations families have been in Rupert longer than his. Until the citizens of Rupert elect a mayor and council who have a enormous drive to develop Rupert, and a “get the ‘f…k’ out of our way be-otch” attitude toward the old guard and bureaucrats, the town is NOT going to develop to any real degree (attracting less than a 1,000 new citizens in 20 years to the world’s 5th largest ice free deep water port is a really, really good indication that either idiots, and/or protectionists, are in control).

Until there is political excitement and tangible growth perceived by the citizens, apathy will be the best you can expect. If Jack Musallem is the best that Rupert can find to lead them into the future, the town is woefully doomed. The people of Rupert need to see and reach for things out of the box that Jack built.

Would Jack really attempt to stall progress? The blocking of the alternate school opening was deliberate? What would be the point of that?

[quote=“wildwill”]Political apathy is usually the result of political boredom. Boredom is brought about by electing the same old, same old, and expecting different results. A classic example is Jack Mussallem. In my opinion Jack is a nice enough guy when he needs to be, but he is at best nothing more than a social leech. He has haunted Prince Rupert’s city hall for decades, in multiple capacities, with varying degrees of (in)competence.

The reality is that Jack is just a follower, not a leader. His years of being a public servant prove that he is only capable of working ‘within’ a prestructured environment. He is entirely incapable of ‘creating’ a new one. He has been a huge detriment to Prince Rupert for decades, forestalling and obstructing any development unless he personally profited. Why the heck people in Rupert haven’t tarred, feathered and run his butt out of town is beyond me. Rupert needs a mover, shaker, creator, energizer - none of which describe Jack. Yet, he’s mayor. Wake up Prince Rupert, the town has had a steady population decline every since he first became involved in city politics. Go figure!

The truth is that the old guard and city bureaucrats, who are extreme protectionists in every way, have driven the community to its knees. The good news is that many of them are dying or moving away, finally! The bad news is that Jack is their esteemed leader. Few non-First Nations families have been in Rupert longer than his. Until the citizens of Rupert elect a mayor and council who have a enormous drive to develop Rupert, and a “get the ‘f…k’ out of our way be-otch” attitude toward the old guard and bureaucrats, the town is NOT going to develop to any real degree (attracting less than a 1,000 new citizens in 20 years to the world’s 5th largest ice free deep water port is a really, really good indication that either idiots, and/or protectionists, are in control).

Until there is political excitement and tangible growth perceived by the citizens, apathy will be the best you can expect. If Jack Musallem is the best that Rupert can find to lead them into the future, the town is woefully doomed. The people of Rupert need to see and reach for things out of the box that Jack built.[/quote]

How do you really feel about Jack? whoa, talk about a slam fest against the citizens of PR.
Is it advertising your into? Good luck with that.
The citizens of PR vote for the names on the ballots. It’s more than just a matter of waking up.

“Would Jack really attempt to stall progress?”

I can’t say for sure that he does anymore, but I know for a firsthand fact of several attempts in the past that Jack made to block progress (he was, and still is, a HUGE opponent of developing the Cow Bay area), and as city clerk and mayor, he did his very best to obstruct and interfere with Cow Bay’s, and many businesses, progress.

“How do you really feel about Jack? whoa, talk about a slam fest against the citizens of PR.
Is it advertising your into? Good luck with that.”

The post was not a slam to Rupert citizens, though there have been a number of citizens who through the years have made the tragic error of pissing off people who buy ink by the drum. Their little “oh, you’re just a meany picking on me” attitudes are immature, irresponsible and downright obnoxious.

I call a spade a spade. If you got a problem with that, email me and I’ll send you the 50 cents to call someone who cares. I go back in Rupert politics to the time of Pete Lester forward. As far as attracting advertising from Rupert, if telling the truth offends anyone, I don’t want to do business with them to begin with. To me they are evil, self-righteous, book burning sons-2-biotches who think the world should behave according to their rules. Personally, I believe that anyone who deliberately (with their attitude and/or actions) obstructs the future of Prince Rupert is a public enemy, and should be dealt with accordingly. If they want their business(es)to fail, or to perform far less than is possible, and find comfort in continually bitching and moaning. they are certainly on the right path. They could do the whole world a favour though by crawling into a hole and dying to get it over with, allowing people with positive goals, ideas and attitudes to do something great, with a great little community full of really great people.

The future of Rupert is only being held back by a few bad apples. Axe them (or more appropriately, flush them), and prosperity will slap the whole community upside the head. Perhaps you come from a time when being politically, socially and environmentally correct was prim and proper. Look around you, did it work? Is it working now? What did you say your local unemployment rate was? How many new businesses have started up and been successful in Prince Rupert in the last 15 years?

[quote=“wildwill”]“Would Jack really attempt to stall progress?”

I can’t say for sure that he does anymore, but I know for a firsthand fact of several attempts in the past that Jack made to block progress (he was, and still is, a HUGE opponent of developing the Cow Bay area), and as city clerk and mayor, he did his very best to obstruct and interfere with Cow Bay’s, and many businesses, progress.
[/quote]

Fascinating stuff!

If Jack played a negative or blocking role in the Cow Bay alternate school site proposal or other suggested doomed business ventures based on his bias or personal interest - this is crooked politics. I seem to remember another politician who pronounced, “I am not a crook”, before being impeached.

“Fascinating stuff!”

I guess it is, if you’re a fan of conflict of interest and protectionism. I remember a Rupert with thriving fish plants (which the fisherman’s union drove face first into the dirt), a busy mall, etc. Overall, a great little town with the future unfolding brightly for it. But, behind the scenes, politics were being played internally at city hall. Jack was busy helping to draft and pass by-laws that either inhibited, or prohibited, development anywhere but downtown (because he was, and probably still is, a major property owner along parts of 2nd and 3rd). The beauty was that Jack could initiate, and pass, all these protectionist by-laws without ever appearing on the publics radar. By the time he officially made the transition from an overly paid bureaucrat to politician, he had everything set just the way he wanted. Look at any protectionist, or just plain stupid, by-law Prince Rupert has had in the last 25 years, and Jacks hand has either been on, or in it.

Jack has been in conflict of interest more often than anyone can imagine, and no one has had the balls to call him on it, because the political repercussions would have wiped them out (which ultimately the leadership of the community did ayway). Jack may seem like a big man to the people in Prince Rupert, but in the big world, hes nothing more than a dirty little worm that screwed his own people. The definition of a fool is someone who does the same thing, the same way, over and over expecting different results. Prince Rupert keeps electing him, proving that Prince Rupert really doesnt know Jack.

Nice, one of the better posts on this forum. Its not often intelligence shows up around here.

Hmmm. Here I thought Jack was just a whacko drunk who assaults people at beer gardens.

According to this stream of consciousness he turns out to be a festering pimple on Rupert’s ass. Why DO the good people of Rupert choose thus?

[quote=“wildwill”]

The future of Rupert is only being held back by a few bad apples. Axe them (or more appropriately, flush them), and prosperity will slap the whole community upside the head. Perhaps you come from a time when being politically, socially and environmentally correct was prim and proper. Look around you, did it work? Is it working now? What did you say your local unemployment rate was? How many new businesses have started up and been successful in Prince Rupert in the last 15 years?[/quote]

You’re living in a bubble if you think ousting a few people from city hall is going to result in prosperity. I’ve seen people like you come and go and, personally, I rather like seeing your ass leaving. Having said that, you do have the gift of the gab and I do admire your style. I just wish you could focus that energy in some productive dialog rather than this " same old, same old ". I gotta’ get some sleep. Wake me up soon.

“I’ve seen people like you come and go and, personally, I rather like seeing your ass leaving.”

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the old guard! It is the mindset of grey hair that has held Rupert hostage for decades. It is those who naysay possibility and potential that are enemies of prosperity. Their rumbles, grumbles, and consistent social and political blunders have made Rupert into what it is(n’t) today. I do agree that it takes more than changing mouths at the feeding trough. And for the record, it was a real pleasure to get away from the socially retarded running that town back then!

[quote=“wildwill”]…I guess it is, if you’re a fan of conflict of interest and protectionism. I remember a Rupert with thriving fish plants (which the fisherman’s union drove face first into the dirt), a busy mall, etc. Overall, a great little town with the future unfolding brightly for it. But, behind the scenes, politics were being played internally at city hall. Jack was busy helping to draft and pass by-laws that either inhibited, or prohibited, development anywhere but downtown (because he was, and probably still is, a major property owner along parts of 2nd and 3rd). The beauty was that Jack could initiate, and pass, all these protectionist by-laws without ever appearing on the publics radar. By the time he officially made the transition from an overly paid bureaucrat to politician, he had everything set just the way he wanted. Look at any protectionist, or just plain stupid, by-law Prince Rupert has had in the last 25 years, and Jacks hand has either been on, or in it.

Jack has been in conflict of interest more often than anyone can imagine, and no one has had the balls to call him on it, because the political repercussions would have wiped them out (which ultimately the leadership of the community did ayway). Jack may seem like a big man to the people in Prince Rupert, but in the big world, hes nothing more than a dirty little worm that screwed his own people. The definition of a fool is someone who does the same thing, the same way, over and over expecting different results. Prince Rupert keeps electing him, proving that Prince Rupert really doesnt know Jack.[/quote]

Guess Jack still owns property on 3rd, it was on CFTK and reports that trees behind the building took out the power and is still off until hopefully tomorrow. One tenant was interviewed and said how hard it has been for her without power and lost of frozen goods. cftktv.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=1295173 it should be on 11 pm news also. I hope she gets power back soon.