Rupert Mall opinions

They are only selling the books they could not unload on the rest of the province ( or terrace) and will be gone as soon as the xmas rush ends, they are putting the money they make , not into Rupert but into thier own pockets, at the closest Terrace, buy from Rainforest, and go see thier new kitten. Buy local.

Don’t take me the wrong way,  I want things to happen for this town,  but companies coming in shgort term and not giving back to the community is not the sort of “help” we need,  we need companies that want to invest in this town and stay.

So when you applied for the job, they told you all their secrets eh?  :unamused:

The manager told me it’s not a clearance store; they will have as much new product as the Terrace store does when it’s fully stocked.  I’m sticking to that.

And the manager would have no motive to lie to you about that ???

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Maybe the manager was lieing. As a reader of the thread though I’m faced with one persons opinion versus information someone got from an inside source. I’m as jaded against greedy corporations as the next, but in this case I’m inclined to lean towards the source.

Mike

I was in the Coles store yesterday.  It was all new stock – top-10 type of books.  Clearly aimed at the passer-by. 

So they have hundreds of copies of the latest best-sellers, but nothing obscure or anything like that.  If a customer is looking for a particular book, he or she will do what they’ve always done – order it online or have Rainforest Books order it online.

It’s not like Rainforest prints the books themselves on locally-produced paper.

Where do you think they get their books?

You’re just adding a profit margin for them, then still sending the money to Chapters or other distributor.

The reason you “shop locally” is for convenience – if the book is on the shelf at Rainforest, then you’ll pay a little more rather than order it online.  That’s the reason I’d buy a book there anyway.

But if given a choice between having Rainforest order a book, or I order a book directly, then why would I have them order it?

Also, if you walk into Coles, you’ll see that they’ve adopted the same model – they have a bunch of popular books, but nothing obscure.  'cause you can just order that online. 

These aren’t books they couldn’t unload in Terrace or anywhere else – these are books that they are sure they can unload here. 

Have you actually walked into the store?  Having the top-50 bestsellers isn’t “nly selling the books they could not unload on the rest of the province” – it’s the opposite.

Rainforest books will do fine, it’s a bit of competition – we all love competition, don’t we? 

Where the hell do you think you live? This is the town that fought to keep McDonalds out. We made it so impossible for the Copperside Foods guys to locate here they eventually gave up. The list goes on and on. People who have never bought a single book at Rainforest will automatically be opposed to Chapters.

My personal opinion is that it’s something in the rain water.

Mike

I’m not really into brick and mortar stores, anyway.

Basically, the best time to get me to spend money on your product is to make it available to me at 3:00 in the morning, while I’m at home, drunk, sitting in my underwear.

3am?  I prefer 9pm!  Finishing off another consumer pop as we speak!