Rumour #347

I heard a new one today. I spoke with someone who has heard that the Navy will be building a 300-400 man base in either Port Edward or Ridley Island. Supposedly an announcement will be made in a few weeks. Anyone heard anything similar??

Is this all a part of Steven Harper’s plan to put armed soldiers on the streets of our cities? :laughing:

It would be cool if it were true, but I’ll believe it when it happens.

Heh, maybe Mike Scott is right… we do need an armed citizenry to protect us from the government.

You guys better hope not! How’re you ever gonna get laid competing with 400 guys in uniform? :laughing: :laughing:

Military protecting our waters is not exactly an armed citizenry. Seems like some people are in denial. We are living in an era where terrorism is a real threat, even here in Pr Rupert. We have a container port being built, a history of migrant ships coming into our waters and an actual terrorist plot was spoiled after a terrorist planning to blow up LAX passed through Victoria into Wash. state. The US has secretly been coming into our Arctic waters without consent. Is the US right?? Are we a haven for terrorists?? I at least hope that we are taking the right steps to protect ourselves.

400 guys at sea means 400 lonely girlfriends :smiley:

[quote=“fingahz”]Military protecting our waters is not exactly an armed citizenry. Seems like some people are in denial. We are living in an era where terrorism is a real threat, even here in Pr Rupert. We have a container port being built, a history of migrant ships coming into our waters and an actual terrorist plot was spoiled after a terrorist planning to blow up LAX passed through Victoria into Wash. state. The US has secretly been coming into our Arctic waters without consent. Is the US right?? Are we a haven for terrorists?? I at least hope that we are taking the right steps to protect ourselves.

[/quote]

Are you really afraid of terrorists? should we put all this effort into stopping them like the US has?

Honestly terrorism isnt anywhere near the threat the media has made it to be. 9/11 was shitty, lots of people died but more people die from car accidents than terrorism so wheres the war on car accidents?

No matter how much money, resources and most importantly freedoms are spent on terrorism a dedicated terrorist will still be able to complete their objective. You really have to guage whether its worth it to spend all this money and restrict our freedoms to catch a possible terrorist in my opinion its not.

I’m not really afraid of anything. I’m as concerned about terrorism about the same as I am a tsunami or an earthquake levelling our city. I hope that we are prepared in the event of that too.

Isn’t this tied in with the rumour I heard from my sister about the military blowing up a huge chunk of one of the mountains?

[quote=“fingahz”]

I’m not really afraid of anything. I’m as concerned about terrorism about the same as I am a tsunami or an earthquake levelling our city. I hope that we are prepared in the event of that too.[/quote]

As long as you arent for restricting my rights and freedoms in order to prevent terrorism I have no complaints 8)

I’m all for protecting our rights and freedoms. I want my kids to live a safe and happy life.

Wow… that’s quite a rumor. Frankly I hope it is true. That would be a huge deal for the area. Plus it would mean more Navy ships around and that would please me. I have a soft spot for the Navy. I was all set to join, was just on the waiting list to go off to basic, when I met my wife. I backed out because of “love” and haven’t looked back since.

Mike

[quote=“CrazyMike”]Wow… that’s quite a rumor. Frankly I hope it is true. That would be a huge deal for the area. Plus it would mean more Navy ships around and that would please me. I have a soft spot for the Navy. I was all set to join, was just on the waiting list to go off to basic, when I met my wife. I backed out because of “love” and haven’t looked back since.

Mike[/quote]

The Village people

[quote]Where can you find pleasure
Search the world for treasure
Learn science technology
Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
On the land or on the sea
Where can you learn to fly
Play in sports or skin dive
Study oceanography
Or sit in the grandstand
When your team and others meet

In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In the navy
Come on now, people, make a stand
In the navy, in the navy
Can’t you see we need a hand
In the navy
Come on, protect the motherland
In the navy
Come on and join your fellow man
In the navy
Come on people, and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

They want you, they want you
They want you as a new recruit

If you like adventure
Don’t you wait to enter
The recruiting office fast
Don’t you hesitate
There is no need to wait
They’re signing up new seamen fast
Maybe you are too young
To join up today
But don’t you worry 'bout a thing
For I’m sure there will be
Always a good navy
Protecting the land and sea

In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In the navy
Come on now people, make a stand
In the navy, in the navy
Can’t you see we need a hand
In the navy
Come on, protect the motherland
In the navy
Come on and join your fellow man
In the navy
Come on people, and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

Who me?

But, but, but I’m afraid of water.
Hey, hey look
Man, I get seasick even watchin’ it on TV!

They want you, they want you in the navy

Oh my goodness.
What am I gonna do in a submarine?

They want you, they want you in the navy[/quote]

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

There was a plan at one point during WWII by the US Army Corp of Engineers about taking off the top of Mt.Hays and flattening it out to make an airport.

It wasnt a rumour, but it was over 50 yrs ago. :smile:

More Navy ships in the area is a good thing… Navy boys make nice scenery :smiley:

If anyone starts blowing up scenery around Rupert I’ll be pissed.

A Naval Base?

Why? Do we need somewhere else to anchor the 5 rowboats and 2 diesel-powered bathtubs we have in the Canadian Navy?

Then again, I could roam the streets asking where they keep the “Nuclear Wessles”.

So I was reading the fine print in my life insurance policy, and one of the provisions is that if my death is the direct result of a nuclear war (they specifically say “nuclear war”), then I do not qualify for a claim.

Uh . . . why do you, Eso, oh childless one, have a life insurance policy??

To pad his parents retirement.

Bury me wit’ my money!</texas drawl>

Alright, I lied, it’s actually an “accidental death or dismemberment policy”, of which I only really care about the dismemberment part. But yeah, I had to get the AD&D (heh, nice) coverage to qualify for this group extended health and dental plan at work.