Router with Bandwidth Limiting Option?

Hey all, so I’ll skip to the chase here.

Here’s my setup

Me ))))))) [Wireless Modem]] —> Roommate upstairs

)))) = Wifi
—> = Wired

What I’m looking to do, because we split the connection cost and he torrents all day every day (leaving my latency on a roller coaster between 100ms and 5000ms) is limit his bandwidth. I’ve tried talking to him, and he doesn’t care. I can’t get my own line and based on the building agreement, I can’t get wired.

So, in a nutshell I’m hoping a setup like this can work, and I need some input on the how.

Me ))))))) [Wireless Modem]] —> [Router]] —> Roommate upstairs

Where the router can throttle his bandwidth to a max of say… 500kb/s. (arbitrary number). I don’t think QoS will do it because the router itself will only have one connection, right? Also, I can’t replace the wireless modem as shaw is a tard.

Any help at all would be appreciated, I’m fully capable of flashing linux onto a router I’m just not sure which model to get if required :X

Cheers!

You can do this with dd-wrt for sure. You can limit computers (based on MAC address) to specific bandwidth rates.

These are the routers that you can run dd-wrt on: dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

And you can find some cheap ones online: bit.ly/gQKL1M

[quote=“MiG”]You can do this with dd-wrt for sure. You can limit computers (based on MAC address) to specific bandwidth rates.

These are the routers that you can run dd-wrt on: dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

And you can find some cheap ones online: bit.ly/gQKL1M[/quote]

Exactly what I was looking for, Thanks :smiley:

Also, if the dd-wrt stuff looks complex, the tomato router has a nice gui-based configuration:

polarcloud.com/tomato

Including bandwidth tools.