Roomba video

Speaking of sucking, here’s a video I took by duct-taping the camera on my Roomba:

menino.com/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-6353

I gotta do another one, in a different room perhaps. The roomba just goes around in circles in that room, but it follows walls and does all kinds of funky things in other rooms.

I have been thinking about buying one. Is it functional or just of a geeky toy that is fun to watch? If you left the tape going, would the Roomba have remembered that it already cleaned the rug and carry on to clean what remains dirty?

It works. better than I ever expected. It can navigate under furniture very well too, and works great with my dog’s shedding hair. I thought it was a geeky toy too at first, but it really works.

It’s the “turn on and forget” kind of technology. You put it in the middle of the room, start it, and go to work. When you come home, the room is finished.

That’s cool! Where did you get the roomba, online?

After returning from the toilet from puking of dizziness this movie is funny LOL…

Yeah, Brookstone or something like that.

I will make a few more videos, ones that don’t spin as much.

groan. what a bunch of yuppie junk. i dont know how they got my address but good frickin gravy.

The roomba’s not junk, it actually works. It’s not for yuppies as much as for geeks, I think.

Other than the roomba and the Segway, though, pretty much everything else in the brookstone catalogue is useless. They have stuff like wireless remote barbeque meat thermometer – with a pager that receives the temperature of your steak remotely.

Okay. Just watched the shoot the monitor video. May I never piss you off again!

the segway has a use? other than earmarking complete dweebs?

i think what put me over the edge was the “hard to find tool catalogue” from them, that I picked up thinking it was maybe some sort of competition for Lee Valley, but oh no…

Yeah, it’s for when walking is too slow and biking/driving is impractical.

How about seniors or people who can’t ride a bike for whatever reason? How about somebody who would rather not have to decide between using a wheelchair or not moving at all? How about for law enforcement or city tours?

I think you should ask the same questions about people who spend thousands of dollars on bikes.

Seriously, just because you don’t see the point doesn’t mean there is no point. It just means that you don’t see the point. Egocentrism, I guess.

I don’t have a use for one. I also have no use for a blowdryer. Or a $3000 bike, or a pickup truck. But I’m open-minded enough to realize that me != everybody else in the world.

the segway is soo sweet!! i tryed one in this technology convention in california couple months back… there really easy to use… and are like impossible to tip… its cool stuff… but a tad bit pricey.

[quote=“MiG”]

Yeah, it’s for when walking is too slow and biking/driving is impractical.

How about seniors or people who can’t ride a bike for whatever reason? How about somebody who would rather not have to decide between using a wheelchair or not moving at all? How about for law enforcement or city tours?

I think you should ask the same questions about people who spend thousands of dollars on bikes.

Seriously, just because you don’t see the point doesn’t mean there is no point. It just means that you don’t see the point. Egocentrism, I guess.

I don’t have a use for one. I also have no use for a blowdryer. Or a $3000 bike, or a pickup truck. But I’m open-minded enough to realize that me != everybody else in the world.[/quote]

Perfect UOR!

(Ultimate Overkill Reply)

[quote=“MiG”]The roomba’s not junk, it actually works. It’s not for yuppies as much as for geeks, I think.

Other than the roomba and the Segway, though, pretty much everything else in the brookstone catalogue is useless. They have stuff like wireless remote barbeque meat thermometer – with a pager that receives the temperature of your steak remotely.[/quote]

How is that remote thermometer useless?!??!?!

Just because you don’t have a use for it, no one does?

Yeah, you’re right.

usefulness is very openly debatable, i agree, so i’m wrong on it being ‘useless’.

coolness is also very debatable, however, i bet you cannot find a picture of someone on a segway looking ‘cool’, by any stretch of the word.

im not so much railing against the yuppiness of the catalogue, i mean, sure, there are lots of things that i dont agree with, just dont send me your catalogues* and waste trees.

*or grammar guides advising me on proper usage of commas to avoid, like, run on sentences man.

This guy is cool.

http://www.segway.com/images/h/h/h30a.jpg

Too bad Miami Vice isn’t still in production.

i’m really being very ignorant, i’ve never seen the thing in motion, just pictures of yuppies with sweaters knotted around their necks riding around enjoying their atkins lattes…

you wont catch me on one however.

You know, the whole latte thing is such bullshit. Probably brought on by Frasier.

Go to Italy and ask for a latte. They won’t give you one of those fake coffees.

It’s a cafe-au-lait, dammit. I guess the French wasn’t “West Coast” enough for the birkenstock-wearing consumers? They had to invent an Italian word for an invented coffee?

Speaking of…

viewtopic.php?p=42662#42662

[quote=“Alpine Scrub”]i’m really being very ignorant, i’ve never seen the thing in motion, just pictures of yuppies with sweaters knotted around their necks riding around enjoying their atkins lattes…

you wont catch me on one however.[/quote]

http://www.segway.com/video/

yes alpine, it was that simple to find a video!