Rogers or Telus?

My phone contract is up in August. I’ve been comparing data plans between Telus and Rogers and they are very similar. I’d like to hear some recent experiences with connectivity in Prince Rupert, that is, does one provider have better coverage, connectivity than the other? Any dead zones? I’m also interested in your experiences throughout BC as well.
Thanks for any and all replies. :smile:

Buy an unlocked phone and just pick the plan that works best for you from the various carriers. Koodoo, Virgin, Fido, Speakout, etc.

Speakout/Fido/Rogers are all on the same network. When I was in Rupert, they had the best coverage. Virgin/Bell and Koodoo/Telus all share the same network. Not sure what their coverage is in Prince Rupert.

I’m currently on Virgin on two phones, just 'cause they give unlimited canada-wide calling and unlimited messaging for like $40/month. No plans, no contracts, no lock-in. If they stop being competitive, I’ll move on to another carrier.

I’ve switched carriers 4 times in the last couple of years. It’s super fast to port a number these days. I’m talking like 30 seconds.

[quote=“MiG”]Buy an unlocked phone and just pick the plan that works best for you from the various carriers. Koodoo, Virgin, Fido, Speakout, etc.

Speakout/Fido/Rogers are all on the same network. When I was in Rupert, they had the best coverage. Virgin/Bell and Koodoo/Telus all share the same network. Not sure what their coverage is in Prince Rupert.

I’m currently on Virgin on two phones, just 'cause they give unlimited canada-wide calling and unlimited messaging for like $40/month. No plans, no contracts, no lock-in. If they stop being competitive, I’ll move on to another carrier.

I’ve switched carriers 4 times in the last couple of years. It’s super fast to port a number these days. I’m talking like 30 seconds.[/quote]

Thanks, MiG. I appreciate that. :smile:

I adore telus. Their customer service has ALWAYS been amazing to me. I have friends who say the exact opposite. But I sometimes wonder if they know how to deal with customer service places. Because I’ve never had the issues I hear about. Can’t get what you want? Ask to talk to a supervisor, until you get what you want.

I don’t know. I still have a year in my contract. I don’t mind being stuck with one carrier because I like Telus. The coverage is great now, and you can get service out to rainbow.

Telus has been great to me and resolved any problems I’ve had. They even sent me a box of chocolates for each of the two times their network has gone down in the past 8 years. If you dont feel like paying outright for a phone they’ve changed their contracts so each month a certain amount of your billing is deducted from the cost of the phone. If you want out you just pay off the remaining value of the phone. Although you’d still have to deal with getting it unlocked to switch carriers.

I will probably sign another contract in september for a new phone not because I cant afford to buy it outright but because the plans arent any cheaper if you arent on a contract and I’ve been happy with their service so why not get a “free” phone.

Telus has far better service in the north west, Rogers doesn’t work in Haida Gwaii at all and neither between Rupert and Terrace, whereas Telus does, not a hard choice !

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback folks! :smile:

What about that company who’s name rings a …
Got more Gigs from them for $10 less when I got my iPhone. They share networks with Telus, so you get the best cross-Canada coverage.

Bell is the worst of them all from a customer service standpoint and they actively promote a tiered internet. Fuck them theyre the comcast of canada.

This is coming from a guy who was double billed by rogers for 400.00 in services over a year and then told to stuff it when i demanded a credit.

Honestly as bad as they were telus are the only ones that give you a reach around while they fuck you. They want to give you good customer service. Its their selling point. Fuck rogers and bell

Virgin mobile ftw, unlimited nationwide calling/ texting / video messaging + 5gb data (1gb promotion on top of my 4gb plan) for $70 a month

Are you on a contract or subsidy? I have the exact same plan for 2 phones. $40/each without a contract.

I bought my phone outright. No contract :smile:

Id talk to them that seems pricy. Im with telus and for that price i get 10 free njmbers unlimited calling after 5 and 10gig data.

I have unlimited long distance any time of the day. Not just after 5,I also have a 20 percent discount. 70 a month for all those features is a steal

Telus offered me long distance for 8.00 but i didnt want it. If you are happy good but im sure if you talked to them you could get a lower rate. Im assuming its a 20% discount making it 70.00 or is it 20% off 70.00? 56.00 is good for that plan 70 not so much.

Weird, maybe it’s because I got it a long time ago (and then added to a second phone), but unlimited long distance (including US & Canada), unlimited messaging, 6 gigs of data, Voicemail, call-waiting, etc, no contract for me on Virgin is $40/month. $80/month for two phones.

I originally signed up for it in Terrace, then added a second phone in Alberta.

I didn’t order from the web or their list of available plans or anything. Just called up and told them I wanted to switch from Rogers, and what was their best deal? They even sent me the SIM for free.