Road Closed

Ah crap, we’re isolated again…

The highway to Terrace is closed at just before Car Wash rock, apparently there was over three feet of water washing over from the mountains to the river early this morning and now they fear the risk of an avalanche in the area…

Highway 16 Both Directions
    Closed in both directions from Tyee, 110 km west of Terrace to Terrace (110 km) because of high avalanche hazard. Next update at 3 pm. Updated on Wed Jan 24 at 12:24 pm. (ID# 38428)
    Jan 24, 2007 12:24 PM

Highway 37 Both Directions
    Closed in both directions from Bell 2 Bridge, 93 kilometers north of Meziadin Junction to Bob Quinn Lake Maintenance Contractor Yard (48.1 km) because of high avalanche hazard. Next update at 1 pm. Updated on Wed Jan 24 at 12:26 pm. (ID# 38422)
    Jan 24, 2007 12:26 PM

Highway 37A Both Directions
    Closed in both directions from Stewart to Meziadin Junction with Highway 37 (61.5 km) because of High Avalanche Hazard. Next update at 3:00 pm Jan 24. Updated on Wed Jan 24 at 10:16 am. (ID# 38320)
    Jan 24, 2007 10:16 AM

Let the run on milk, bread and veggies begin!

Haha my first and only trip to Rupert there was a landslide Labor Day Monday. We couldn’t get out for 3 days. I remember no bread, no milk, no Export A mediums left.
I also remember the ferries still coming and the motel owner warning us not to check out until we were sure it was re-opened or we risked having to bid to get our room back.
We exhausted our overdraft on the last tank of gas getting home. LOL

Oh well, that’s just part of the price for living in paradise.

I don’t use highway 16 very much in the winter.  Too many people end up in the Skeena for my taste (I know I’m a bit over-cautious).  Hopefully they’ll get it cleared in the next little while.

Any word on when the road is supposed to open? I need to be in rupert by monday.

Road is open according to the road reports website.

drivebc.ca/

Excellent, i checked there I just wasnt sure which was more accurate

I go to Switzerland and there is no snow…

I come back to Canada and the roads are closed/T-bar broken…

Perhaps the skiing in Dubai is better?

You weren’t sure which was more accurate: the government road report or some shlub on HTMF??

LOL, well I dunno sometimes the “shlubs” are more reliable than the govt…

I think the Shlub knows too much of his/her stuff to be wrong about something as simple as a pre-avalanche event.

Last update on drivebc was 9:30 am, I will take the more recent report from a shlub on htmf than a 9:30 am posting on drivebc that said there was water pooling and nothing more.