Rent prices

Overkill

Greedy &*^%$#@

and we wonder why there is a homeless problem in the northwest…

Are there no more rules to how much a landlord may just raise the rent , is there still something like Tenants Rights Bureau . I agree with Astro , what will happen to those people and what happens with seniors with a small fixed income ?

There is a set rate in the 2 - 2.7% range per year that a landlord can raise rent to a current tenant.

rto.gov.bc.ca/

For an empty suite the market is open to charge whatever you like if you can get it. I can see both sides to this situation as some owners have put considerable investment into their property. Some have struggled for years with bad tenants and now have a chance to recover past loses and new investments have been made in acquiring property. However it is not any easy situation for many now to acquire rental housing.

The thing that really upsets me is there are 2-3 units vacant at Sun Set Villa,( which BC Housing turned over to Makola Housing ) these units people are out there waiting for on lists for while they have sat empty for a year. Very slow process this transition from government to non profit.

We are also need something other than Raffles as a shelter …

The OP said there could be a reduction with solid references, so perhaps those bitching about the price can’t supply that. Not sure I blame the owner.

I agree. Truth of the matter is that if a landlord can get a higher rent paid for by working people it’s less risky to their investment. In the past, landlords in Rupert would have less choice due to a poor market and often had to take who they could get. This resulted in many owners who had significant losses as their tenants damaged property costing the owner a lot of money. Finally, owners have the ability to charge more and be more selective. Charging more also allows the owner to put some in reserve for damages and repairs if needed. Don’t like it? Buy your own house, take some of the risk and be responsible to maintain your own building.

There’s a homelessness problem in the northwest? There are drunks that hang out downtown but I don’t know anything about there being a lack of available housing.

ok I’m not here to educate you on the homeless problem in the Northwest and I’m sure there are other who will. But yes there is a problem just cause you don’t know about it does not mean it does not exist.

Maybe so, but you implied the OP was part of the homeless problem. I would suggest that anyone who is in the market for a house as advertised above is not going to end up homeless.

If you cant afford to live in rupert due to rent and purchase prices combined with lack of decent employment then its time to move on. Ironically that will drive unrealistic rent prices down. A 2 bdroom for 1300/month is about what youd pay in a real city with real employment.

Might as well delete this whole forum

Greed

$1300 may indeed be what you’d pay in ’ a real city ’ unfortunately though the owner’s cost of providing that suite + the need to make a profit means it’s the same here…
I spoke to someone recently that was shocked at the rents yet is earning great money as a trades person here. Most long term renters have never owned nor understand all the costs involved in ownership and the risk involved in getting renters… His wages are paid by owners of properties.

I think in more cases there should be rental subsidies for people that just can’t get in the rental market anymore… I have to laugh at some of the rents being so high yet I understand market forces and the costs involved to provide rental hosuing Subsides and more social housing are about the only answer. In a market that housing prices are higher it’s going to mean higher rents too.

[quote=“jamesbrown”]$1300 may indeed be what you’d pay in ’ a real city ’ unfortunately though the owner’s cost of providing that suite + the need to make a profit means it’s the same here…
I spoke to someone recently that was shocked at the rents yet is earning great money as a trades person here. Most long term renters have never owned nor understand all the costs involved in ownership and the risk involved in getting renters… His wages are paid by owners of properties.

I think in more cases there should be rental subsidies for people that just can’t get in the rental market anymore… I have to laugh at some of the rents being so high yet I understand market forces and the costs involved to provide rental hosuing Subsides and more social housing are about the only answer. In a market that housing prices are higher it’s going to mean higher rents too.[/quote]

Rental subsidies or employment programs? I support helping people become self sufficient rather than needing handouts.

If you think about it for a moment, the minimum wage people serving your food in the restaurants earn, is not enough to afford $1300 a month for a 2 bedroom, especially for single mothers. Our government always says theres a XX% of unemployment, that is because of the minimum wage jobs that will always need to be filled, people cannot live off these wages comfortably and usually don’t have the food they need to be healthy let alone a decent roof over their heads.

So move and find a new career. I was in that very position 6 years ago and had to make that choice. I had to move from a place i loved and leave my friends and family to have a better quality of life. I have a new career now and own my own house. If i had of stayed where i was id be struggling paycheck to paycheck like all my friends and would never get ahead.

Its easier said than done but if you cant afford where you live and theres no decent employment you need to leave because its never going to get cheaper.

You know, with the abundance of crap tenants in town these days I’m not surprised the landlord would charge $1300 monthly for a 2 bedroom. And regardless of the price for monthly rent, some crap tenants would only pay the security and the first months, and then not pay any rent after. For some landlords it’s a never ending cycle.

At least the landlord in question is willing to help someone who’s responsible, as long he/she got good references.

BTW, $1300 a month could get you a decent 1 bed apartment if you live where jobs and opportunities are plentiful… if you’re lucky.

I have to laugh or I would cry at some of the judgement calls on this thread…

Telling someone with inadequate income to move if they can’t get a decent affordable rental… or saying a subsidy is a hand out to low income earners …
The cost of moving isnt cheap and sometimes subsidies to people that need them are the only answer often employment programs are so mickey mouse they arent worth it anyway.
I do understand why landlords have to charge more given costs and often people work hard for low wages, often work programs just nurse people into low wage employment

In Alberta, some rental agencies like to charge unrealistically more than what it’s worth, and expect some 18 year old Eastern Canadian (some with no financial discipline) making $28 an hour to pay for it. I’m talking about $1000 for a bachelors in an ancient complex, with only heat and water included.

$28 an hour is a lot when working in the patch during the winter, then you’re mostly bumming for the rest of the year. Kinda explains why Red Deer has a car theft problem lately.