Remote Starters, BBW

I would advise against having a remote starting unit installed in your vehicle from a place such as visions, futureshop etc… I had one put in mine today after hundreds of dollars and a month of waiting for an appointment, and aside from them overcharging me and screwing around getting that straightened out, my headlights stay on after parking, interior lights are coming on while driving, my lights don’t blink to let me know the alarm is working, the alarm light in the dash is half lit and solid, instead of OFF or blinking… I can’t start my car with the key right now either. It just turns over and doesn’t fire. I’m pretty sure they wrecked the harness, so yeah… avoid the ‘professional’ installations from these places because I’m thinking their knowledge of this stuff is limited to what they have learned on their own by trial and error, and you or I could do just as good of a job. Come to think of it, if I was doing this to my own vehicle, I would solder and heat shrink every connection, and verify that the system works before driving it… or handing it over to the client, who now has a half-dead battery and no transportation at -40C.

I love the $99 Canadian Tire remote start/alarm kits that people buy, that just come with a bunch of butt connectors and a roll of electrical tape for a “solderless installation”.

Solder and seal every splice. Period. Or you deserve to have your shit not work.

At futureshop, we are not allowed to solder and shwring wrap all of them. However they should have done a better job, at our store mike and matt do very good jobs. I guess where you went they don’t take pride in there job, if i were you i would take it back with your recipe and say fix it. AND they will. If they don’t please pm me and i will help you :stuck_out_tongue:

Jase

Out of curiousity, why is that? Too save time? Or to make it easier to remove the remote if someone changes their mind later?

I feel pretty strongly about not compromising my professionalism to please management types.

I think it is a liability issue, i know they solder some and certain one’s but not all. I also know they don’t use cheap connectors too. It all comes down to pride, and if you like your job. I know mike has been working at fs for 10 years and loves it and takes pride in every install, even if its a simple cd player.

I work at a car dealership…oh man, do mechanics get irritated when they have to install one of those things.

Their mood is ruined for the whole week lol