Recent visit to P.R. and Rail Container Donations

Hello everyone,

I recently visited Prince Rupert while staying in Port Edward. We arrived in Ruport on a Thursday and witnessed the population explosion during a cruise ship visit. Things we noticed:

Cleanliness! It has been several years since we last visited Rupert and we were pleasantly suprised. No more garbage lined curbs or overflowing dumpters.

Museum - what a great resource!

Hells Angels in their club jackets! Really, in the parking lot across from the Customs terminal. Two wearing jackets with Hells Angels spelled out on their backs and one in leathers but without the club name. A northern BC resident my entire life, I don’t think I’ve ever seen this before. Is it against the law to publicly wear gang ‘colours’, or am I mistaken? Is there significant gang activity in P.R.?

In Port Edward we stayed at the Kinnikinnick Campground. I am certain it is the cleanest campground we have visited in years, with excellent amenities.

Unable to catch our own crab (I think our bait was lacking odour), we purchased several from the processing facility near the commercial dock in Port Edward. A lady driving a forklift made the sale, and wrote everything up in the office. She failed to give us a receipt, and we didn’t pay any attention. BIG MISTAKE!!

Later that day, when stopped at a Conservation Road Block west of Terrace we were informed of the laws concerning the purchase of wildlife, had our crab confiscated and learned the amount of the fines for this offense ($150 + $50/crab). The CO presumed that the seller didn’t have a license to sell, or was selling under the table. When we pled ignorance of the law (I know, I know, ignorance is no defense), the CO informed us that ‘they hear that excuse all the time’.

Long story short, we ended up with a lecture, our crab, and a warning ticket thanks to the intervention of a more understanding CO. Upon returning home we queried friends and co-workers. Were they aware that if they purchased seafood - FROM A STORE - if they didn’t have the receipt in their possession while transporting the seafood (either because they didn’t receive one or because they threw it away) they could find themselves in a similar situation? None were.

The crab were not sold at a great price - we paid what we would pay in a grocery store but wanted these crabs in particular because we knew they were fresh and caught locally.

Anyways… my question - is this a common occurence? Was the lack of receipt an oversight on the part of the young lady at the processing plant, or was this, as the CO’s suspect, a illegal transaction? Lastly - why is the buyer, walking into a store and purchasing an item, the guilty party?

Anyways, a great visit to your region, some new knowledge, and some tasty crab later, and I have yet another question for you Rupertites.

Is it possible for a nonprofit group to receive a cargo container as a donation or at a very low price from the Port of Prince Ruport or Maher? What is done with damaged containers?

Thanks in advance!

[quote=“jales4”]Hello everyone,

Is it possible for a nonprofit group to receive a cargo container as a donation or at a very low price from the Port of Prince Ruport or Maher? What is done with damaged containers?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Maher or Prince Rupert Port Authority does not own the containers and are owned by the shipping company. Damaged ones get patched up the best they can and get sent back with the vessel.

Excuse me? You bought crab and they stole it? Were they live in a bucket leading to the appearance you’d caught them without a license?
I don’t get receipts from the Fish Bus when it comes to town, they can eat shit. Eat it again if it’s in a SuperStore bag on the way home from PG.
Power tripping little piggies.

Innocent until proven guilty. I would have told them that my video camera was recording the conversation for YouTube.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Excuse me? You bought crab and they stole it? Were they live in a bucket leading to the appearance you’d caught them without a license?
I don’t get receipts from the Fish Bus when it comes to town, they can eat shit. Eat it again if it’s in a SuperStore bag on the way home from PG.
Power tripping little piggies.[/quote]

They were live, on ice. We had a total of 15 crabs and did have licenses, so if we had caught them ourselves it wouldn’t have been a problem.

Owning the crab wasn’t the problem - transporting them was, if I understood correctly. So if the fish truck comes to your door, no problem. We asked if we purchased live crab from Safeway and didn’t keep the receipt could we have the same problem. Answer: yes.

We did get to keep them in the end.

The most relevant information I can find is this:

"If someone else caught the fish and gave it to you for your personal consumption:
keep a signed letter from the angler in your possession until you have eaten the fish.
the letter should list the name, address and telephone number of the angler who gave you the fish; the number, species and size of the fish; and when and where the fish were caught."
env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regula … ansporting

[quote=“katray”]

[quote=“jales4”]Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Maher or Prince Rupert Port Authority does not own the containers and are owned by the shipping company. Damaged ones get patched up the best they can and get sent back with the vessel.[/quote]

Okay, thanks. I did call Cosco in Vancouver (the only name I remember from the side of the containers). They thought that Maher is the owner of the containers and claimed to have no knowledge of the procedures to buy/receive a container.

Thank you!

Have seen a few containers around town among other places, being used for general storage, try ‘Big steel box.com’ or phone 1-800-373=1187 Bill Reid at Rupert towing also has several for sale at his yard near the intersection of Hwy.#16 and Fredrick Street.

I think many thanks should go out to the folks from the ‘civic pride’ organization to applaude thier efforts in improving the cleanliness conditions around town. I’m sure it is encouraging at least that people are noticing.

There is a problem of illegal harvest and selling of resources all over the place it seems these days. Crabs and salmon are fairly popular items for poaching as are abalone and various other shellfish.The sea resources get more valuable the further you go inland, as a means to fight the poachers the tranportation permit was introduced.
Buying directly from a processing plant does seem “FISHY” (hahah) but what do I know I wasnt there.

[quote=“chaos”]Have seen a few containers around town among other places, being used for general storage, try ‘Big steel box.com’ or phone 1-800-373=1187 Bill Reid at Rupert towing also has several for sale at his yard near the intersection of Hwy.#16 and Fredrick Street.

I think many thanks should go out to the folks from the ‘civic pride’ organization to applaude thier efforts in improving the cleanliness conditions around town. I’m sure it is encouraging at least that people are noticing.[/quote]

Thank you! I will try both of your suggestions.

First we bitch about over fishing and our stocks being depleted and then when conservations checks us we bitch. Not the poster so much as some of those that followed. If you are legal and have followed regulations the transport would not be a problem, these folk are lucky to have their crab and have learned something. We all need to protect our natural resources and keep them so they can replinish themselves.

To the writer, the Hell’s Angel guys were travelling, my guess seeing as they had colors was to a fallen biker funeral or a biker event. I dont think we have any members here but i could be very wrong. I think its legal to wear your colors but under the “safer neighbourhood act” you can’t wear them in a licenced establishment. Not sure if that still stands.

Glad you think Rupert is clean, i myself think its full of garbage so i will have to put on new glasses and go look again. I thought Vancouver was cleaner than our streets but I agree with a poster who mentioned the civic pride people.

They didn’t seem to be concerned about wearing their colours in Breakers.