Reality Check: BC Liberals Don’t Show Up For Work

[quote]Tonight, Christy Clark told CTV News she works hard in the BC Legislature.

“We just had a long session of the Legislature”(CTV News at Six, April 16, 2013).

Long session of the Legislature? Really?

FACT: Christy Clark and the BC Liberals have been on the job at the BC Legislature for 19 out of the last 321 days.

Adrian Dix and the BC NDP are ready to lead a thoughtful, stable and competent new government. The BC Liberals? They don’t even show up for work.[/quote]

Reality Check: BC Liberals Don’t Show Up For Work

That is pretty weak. Government can get work done without sitting in the legislature every day.

This has absolutely no baring on my vote…really? Are you seriously trying to argue that because they were not physically at the legislature in Victoria, that nothing was getting done? Come on now.

Jennifer Rice will never get my vote.

[quote=“bthedog”]This has absolutely no baring on my vote…really? Are you seriously trying to argue that because they were not physically at the legislature in Victoria, that nothing was getting done? Come on now.
[/quote]

It is not so much that they weren’t in the legislature and couldn’t get things done (although 21 days in a year is pretty short); it’s the fact that she says things that are not quite true or totally misleading. She has made a big pitch about deficits and debts and how we don’t want to return to those irresponsible days of the NDP. What are the facts? She has said that jobs are a high priority and $15M of tax-payer funded TV ads have been promoting their great successes. But what are the facts?

bcndp.ca/newsroom/reality-ch … y-would-do

And then you have Vaughn Palmer, Gary Mason and Michael Smyth commenting on Clark’s deficit/debt statements.

bcndp.ca/newsroom/reality-ch … s-and-debt

Credibility appears to be lacking. And this is something I have been saying since the introduction of the HST. I have a hard time believing anything the current government has to say.

No use trying to preach to the Liberal supporters, They would jump off a cliff if Christy told them it was safe. :smile:
Kind of like lemmings :smile:

^
The BC NDP have already once jack-knifed this province off the cliff and they yet they still have supporters? Who are the lemmings again?

I can’t see Jennifer Rice and the NDP to be of any help for this area. Dix seems to be only focusing on so far is the forestry industry. NDP have never been much for the other resource sectors in this province. The Liberals at least are interested in the prospect of LNG.

Where did i say i was voting NDP? :smile:

Heh. I don’t expect them to be in session every day. You don’t think that having the legislature in session is a good idea? **They were in session only 19 days. ** They are getting paid a lot of money (tax payer dollars). They should tell us what is going on and debate issues in public.

They were racking up an 11 billion dollar debt (so much for fiscal responsibility). I guess that is something.

animal facts those disney nature shows showing lemmings following one another over a cliff was staged. lemmings don’t follow one another off cliffs sorry to burst your bubble on that analogy.

How many days does the BC Legislature? Here is the number per year from 1978 to 2012.

1978 65
1979 50
1980 119
1981 82
1982 97
1983 70
1984 64
1985 83
1986 53
1987 115
1988 69
1989 84
1990 75
1991 17
1992 111
1993 91
1994 80
1995 76
1996 40
1997 84
1998 90
1999 70
2000 52
2001 17 NDP and 20 Liberals
2002 74
2003 73
2004 57
2005 52
2006 46
2007 78
2008 57
2009 66
2010 46
2011 47
2012 48

Social Credit 1980-1991 averaged 77 days per year (Bill Bennett averaged 80 days, Vander Zalm 73)
NDP 1991-2001 averaged 71 days per year (Harcourt averaged 83 days, the other three 67)
Liberals 2001 - 2012 averaged 56 days per year (Campbell averaged 59 days per year)

The Liberals have sat on average 80% of the days the NDP did between 1991 and 2001. So yes, there have been fewer sitting days of late than in past years.

All top five years for sitting days on the list were 1993 and earlier.
Social Credit 1980-1991 averaged 77 days per year (Bill Bennett averaged 80 days, Vander Zalm 73)
NDP 1991-2001 averaged 71 days per year (Harcourt averaged 83 days, the other three 67)
Liberals 2001 - 2012 averaged 56 days per year (Campbell averaged 59 days per year)

The Liberals have sat on average 80% of the days the NDP did between 1991 and 2001. So yes, there have been fewer sitting days of late than in past years.

All top five years for sitting days on the list were 1993 and earlier.

bciconcoclast.blogspot.ca/2012/0 … s.html?m=1

For me, it is not the fact that they sat this many days or that many days. What bothers me is the statements that Christy Clark makes that are not true. She said it was a long session. It wasn’t.

Bob Mackin takes her to task for an over the top statement as well as one blatantly untrue one about the Bollywood awards.

thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/2013/04 … ion-Clark/

These kinds of statements just make it harder and harder for people to believe anything the Liberals have to say.

But I like that you gave us some facts. Hopefully more facts will come out about other things that the parties have to say. Here the CBC looks at what the Liberals and NDP say about the Liberal job plan. The CBC claims the NDP have it right. Maybe they wouldn’t have done any better. That is hard to say. But the fact that the Liberals are spinning their numbers makes it difficult for them to be believed - and not just on jobs but on anything else. Pretty hard to overcome a lack of credibility.

cbc.ca/news/canada//story/20 … -plan.html

[quote=“DWhite”]For me, it is not the fact that they sat this many days or that many days. What bothers me is the statements that Christy Clark makes that are not true. She said it was a long session. It wasn’t.
[/quote]

That is standard operating procedure for Clark; she will say anything to get elected. Spend over 15+ million on partisan ads using tax payer money. Pay 6 million to hush up BC Rail. It is time for a change.

It makes me laugh that people try to dig and find dirt on Christy Clark, (and pretty weak stuff I might add), and in the same breath you are perfectly willing to hand the keys to Dix who’s track record on lying, cheating, and stealing is actually fact.

Oh right, empathy. I keep forgetting. He probably came 7th in a running race and didn’t get a ribbon back in the day. We can just overlook his dishonesty because he had good reason. I’m sure he will make a fine leader.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]It makes me laugh that people try to dig and find dirt on Christy Clark, (and pretty weak stuff I might add), and in the same breath you are perfectly willing to hand the keys to Dix who’s track record on lying, cheating, and stealing is actually fact.

Oh right, empathy. I keep forgetting. He probably came 7th in a running race and didn’t get a ribbon back in the day. We can just overlook his dishonesty because he had good reason. I’m sure he will make a fine leader.[/quote]

Like I said earlier…its pure BC NDP hypocrisy.

““I think it could come at a very high political cost for them,” Clark said.”

When she said them, I doubt she thought it could be her.

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … k-hst.html

awww come on give the NDP a break they believe in reforming criminals. oh wait to be a reformed criminal you must first be prosecuted, guess forging evidence to the NDP is not criminal unless your actually charged, where is the inquiry about why Dix was not charged, who paid his lawyer fees?, why doesn’t Dix admit what he did was illegal instead of saying he made a mistake? if he is sure the electorate will forgive him tell them the whole truth about it, after all the NDP want to get the whole truth about the plea bargain on the BC Rail trial seeing as they did not find a smoking gun on the government and Christy Clark in all the documents that was released to them and the media.

hey let me try this

Reality Check: NDP destroyed this province

Reality Check: Liberals cleaned up the NDP mess

I think Albert Einstein has a quote for the NDP,

“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

one would hope NDP would’ve learnt from their past disasters in power but with how they call moving this province forward seems like they haven’t and are expecting a different outcome.

At this point I’m not sure who will win the match-up between Clark and Dix. I think it will be Dix unless he makes a serious mistake on the campaign trail.