Re: the Prince Rupert Daily News is closing Sept.3

Please keep in mind that there are many paper carriers who made sure rain or shine that the papers were delivered. My son was one of those carriers for 3 years and will sadly miss his job.

I was a carrier to when i was young i put up with alot stuff that i kept from
my parents like being bullied its a mean world,my hat goes out to those kids
and to there parents you should be proud.

Yes, the Daily News failed because of its paper carriers.

Riiiiight.

Not the fact that it shot itself in the foot, credibility-wise with the “good news only” policy.  Or posting weeks-old “news” on the web.  Or that the labour costs are much more expensive in a union environment.  Or that the internet has driven down the cost of advertising.

No, none of those are the reasons for the failure of the Daily News.  It’s the paperboys.

haha, I was being funny about the 10 year olds.
Of course it wasn’t the paperboys fault.
But we do trust our business to 10 year olds. How many businesses do that?

To honour our Heritage I vote we remove the Northern View link off of hackingthemainframe.com

Lets start the Revolution!!

I was told today maybe you may know photoguy if its true that they are going
to close the daily for one full year and then the view will set up a 5 day paper
non union?If this is true then this company who bought the daily are just in there
to break the union and i also think they should know we are a Union town we care
about workers rights we don’t need a sweat shop setting up in Rupert.

Either your heart goes out to them, or you take your hat off.

I am sorry to see the paper go, even if I was quite vocal about their typos, the choppy editing, the “good news only” focus, the news that were three days old, and the endless spreads of school pictures. (In spite of that, I did have a subscription, by the way.)

Newspaper sales are on the decline everywhere, because more of us get our news on the 'Net; I understand that things change…but I still don’t like it.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Overall I am sorry to see the daily go.  I think the start of the 2 free weekly editons was the start to desperately try and keep the paper going.  In the past the paper served the community well, but times are changing and small town dailys just are not profitable anymore.  I know it had been losing a lot of money, so I cannot blame them for shutting it down.  End of an era. I do find it sad that Black owns the other locals as well.  Maybe one of them will start a twice weekly? 

Ajae - That would be rumour as they have not told anyone what their plans are. I personally don’t think there will be a daily here again.

The way I see it, I’d rather have a rumor spread on here, and then quashed than not talked about and made bigger. At least there are people on this forum who can do that. Right?

anyone know just how hot it got today… I know, off subject… :sunglasses:

Hmm, this thread suddenly sure is a living example of the shiny toy theory (look over here over here ,shiny toy shiny toy)  :unamused:

Anyone care to redirect it back to the topic at hand that of the closing the city’s longest offering of journalism and what that might mean for the covering of events in the city?

I would like to extend a heart felt thank you to the hard working staff of the Daily News.  My family has thoroughly enjoyed the city newspaper. 

I thought so.

:confused:

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]Anyone care to redirect it back to the topic at hand that of the closing the city’s longest offering of journalism and what that might mean for the covering of events in the city?
[/quote]

Will do.

Thank you Daily News staff for providing awareness and observant snapshots of our town’s happenings, especially during the very eventful times.

I will miss your journalistic work.

Yeah I feel that no matter what people have said in the past in regards to the Daily News, I will miss most of the staff that I have had the privilege to meet and do interviews with concerning some serious social issues. Even George Baker will be missed, his silly laughter and bad jokes. He was or is a hard worker always trying to get it out there news that is. There are and has been some good people and good work which has come out of there. I wish you all the very best with your futures.
PS. If anyone is leaving town , can they please take ajaye46 with you pleaseeeeeeeeeeee.

I don’t get what the hatred for for Ajaye is all about.  For all the negative comments that generalize this form specifically about Prince Rupert you would think they would reach for some reasoning into why things are the way they are.

Go back and read many of Ajayes comments, he’s more often closer to reality then many others out there.

Extra foods/Daily news shut down to bust the union.  Likely a lot of truth to that.

City not holding NDP accountable in Mill fiasco.  Very true.

And then you get mad at Ajaye when he tries to be positive and point out the things that are doing well in Prince Rupert, or things he would like to see to make it a better place.

so I say don’t come on here and spread hate towards Ajaye, its bad for the internet and the Chinese will win.  Lets have some peace and debate and maybe we can save our podunk town, or at least our podunk town’s main message board.

This is my first post on here. I just want to add my thoughts on this sad subject.
I had the honor to be editor of the Snooze for almost five years and only quit with the greatest reluctance and after considerable provocation in February 2009 after it became clear to me that the paper was going to be dragged in a direction I did not like.
I think that direction led us to where we are today. Such a shame and such a slow painful death.
I really feel sad for the many good people at the paper. The likes of Witwicki and Baker and Monica who worked so hard for little money and almost no praise. It was such a joy to have worked with you all. This will also be sad for people like Jim Vassallo and Leanne Ritchie who helped turn the paper into something special a few years ago.
I’m thinking of all my old friends at the Daily News. I hope things work out for you in the long run.

yes i to am very sad to see the daily news close and yes the reporters do a splended job,
as every one points out , but i have not heard one word about the little guy who also works hard there, i am talking about the collators in the back i feel just as bad for them and all the carriers to :cry:  there are not that many jobs around town for all these people .
rupert will be a town with no people soon.
i wish ALL the workers of the daily news all the best we will miss this paper very much… :frowning:

Thanks JustinCase and CodyBear. You are good people and I enjoyed shooting the breeze with both of you.