Re: Northern Tire Sucks

They ran out of Large cups early last week, and then XL on wednesday or so. You can still redeem any prizes until the end of the month though.

so where’s the link? or was it just anecdotal bullshit?

It’s a contest of chance, so has to be certified random. It also has to follow the contest rules (including no purchase nessary, and skill-testing question). There’s no way that it’s left up to the people at the store to randomize, that would make it an illegal contest.

but cmon MiG, a manager in Kamloops was “freaking out” because some prizes “were all won within a half hour or so of each other”, you cant just IGNORE the FACTS!?

Mock me as much as you want… but I’m going by what someone who was there at the time said. There has to be something like a 1 in a bazillion chance that someone would win 10 big prizes like that at the same restaurant, in the same time frame. Why else would the manager be freaking? It’s not like it’s his fault that his store would be winning everything at the same time if it was random. He should be happy that his store had so many winners.

If you notice my post, I didn’t say ONLY the people that work in the actual restaurant were responsible for mixing up the cups. If you read the contest rules, it says how many winning cups of each prize that were sent out to each province, or area. How would they keep track of these things if they were doled out 100% “randomly?”

And I’m still searching for a link for you coop. Albeit, not very quickly as I don’t give a damn.

so it was a friend of a friend? ok then, thats solid enough for me.

ok, so there are 10 cups that win tvs sent out to the kamloops region, 10 cups that win bikes sent out to the kamloops region, etc etc.

now think about each cup as being sequential as they go out, eg. first cup served is cup #1, second served cup #2, etc.

just because cups 1-20 win a tv, a bike, a tv, a bike, etc and so on, and the next 10,000 cups doesnt win shit doesnt mean there is anything wrong with the randomness of the draw.

it is still completely random, it just looks non-random to human observers because we dont expect to see sequential prizes being awarded.

so, even if your story was true, the manager is just a dip for not realizing that in the wacky world of contest winnings, his place of busines simply had a lucky streak.

It wasn’t a friend of a friend. It was a little old lady. Little old ladies don’t lie.

wow, ok, i take everything back then.

Actually, the rules and regulations say “Distribution of prizes within the region is random.”

So all the cups are made in one big batch per region. They are not randomized at the stores. So it’s perfectly possible for one store to have a bunch of big winners and another to have no winners.

Havn’t you watched Duplex?

Years ago they had contests in cigarette packs. One company shipped all the winners to some small town on the prairies where people didn’t buy that brand much. Someone leaked this and the winners were denied when they went there and bought all the smokes and claimed the prizes.

http://www.fsjames.com/rick/corrigan_011118.jpg

[quote=“MiG”]Actually, the rules and regulations say “Distribution of prizes within the region is random.”

So all the cups are made in one big batch per region. They are not randomized at the stores. So it’s perfectly possible for one store to have a bunch of big winners and another to have no winners.[/quote]

I thought there used to be something in the rules that stated how many of each prize, went to each province? I remember seeing in the past the breakdown of sizes of cups to prizes as well.

I guess they don’t do that anymore?

[quote=“smartass”]

[quote=“MiG”]Actually, the rules and regulations say “Distribution of prizes within the region is random.”

So all the cups are made in one big batch per region. They are not randomized at the stores. So it’s perfectly possible for one store to have a bunch of big winners and another to have no winners.[/quote]

I thought there used to be something in the rules that stated how many of each prize, went to each province? I remember seeing in the past the breakdown of sizes of cups to prizes as well.

I guess they don’t do that anymore?[/quote]

what you’re saying and what mig has said is not irreconcilable, read it again.

I’d rather not… you’ll just find something wrong with whatever I say anyways.

if its wrong, fuck yea.

Smartass hit the nail on the head with that one! Man that made me chuckle.

meh i have won a couple cookies and a coffee i think nothing big… they need to get more cups in…

They probably won’t get more cups in… there is usually a month between the time they run out of cups and the final date you can redeem the prizes.