Re: How are you coping with HST?

I probably shouldn’t have generalized so much. In my defense, I didn’t say “all”.

I’m outta here…have a great Saturday. 'think I’ll take a walk in the Scottish mist.

HST is great from a business perspective… Unfortunately most people do not run a business and therefore it is bad for them. A perfect example is my kids clothes. They are now more expensive… awesome. I will now be making trips out of province to purchase goods except food from now on. It may cost more to do so but I really dont care its my own silent protest.

Fuck the HST and fuck anyone who supports it  :smiley:

drive safely jesus… don’t forget to fuel up before returning home… :wink:

You know what actually gets me angry? People that are making such good money they don’t care about losing an extra $75 - $125 a month.

The rest of us fuckers are severely impacted by the HST. So if you’re doing well you got nothing to gain or lose by the HST. If you’re doing well defeating the HST will just help you store even more money away.

But propping up the economy on the backs of people who in all honesty, can’t afford it in the first place is quite frankly a move that will backfire.

I have drastically reduced by spending and in the grand scheme of things I am doing alot better than many. Even I can’t afford it. That speaks volumes to me. My spouse and I brought in $55,000 last year but with two kids and bills…its just too much.

Click THIS LINK to read the story on Liquor costing more. I drink a bottle of beer maybe once a year but the story is a testament to the nature of the HST. I think they raised the prices just to get the price jump in “around the time of the HST introduction so they can get further revenue and perhaps even blame the HST for the increased cost while consumers are at the till…

Read THIS ARTICLE to see the convoluted method of taxation the HST comes to mean.

This type of impact I would dare say is:

“Specifically targetted to elude and erode any understanding of the tax itself in a real-world shopping setting so as to confuse the consumer into impulse spending and disuade the average consumer from analyzing what and why items are taxed. Thus, garnering more revenue as the average consumer will become frustrated and ignore the newly taxed items…purchasing items regardless due to the complicated nature of figuring out what is taxed and what is not.”

chalk up another reason not to use simply accounting. I finally took a look at what their wise technicians did to ‘fix’ the latest problem the accountants had with some database error from simply that i didnt feel like looking at… They copied and pasted the data to a new folder on the server and created a new share with a new share name.

In what I can only assume is an effort to enhance the security of the server they assigned the folder and all sensitive accounting data therein full control for ‘everyone’ in addition to assigning ‘full control’  to ‘everyone’ as the shares permissions. Clearly more secure than using the security groups I created for this very task. 

Of course their support neglected to mention they changed the share name meaning my backups have been happily looking at ‘no changes’ and backing up none of the accounting data for the past 2 weeks.

I suppose its my fault I should have expected as much and should be checking/alerting for ‘no change’ on weekdays… but im lazy and thats a PITA and wont be necessary anymore since simply accounting technicians are hereby banned from the network leaving me as the only person with permissions to change anything on that server.

I really wish they would just ditch this crap ass software.

Weird, i was going to use simply accounting for my company, now i think i will instead use zoho invoice. :smile:

never heard of zoho… quickbooks is nice at least in my experience.

You work on the fly right ?  Try zoho invoices :smile: it’s on line and you don’t have to run a server or worry about backup etc etc  etc.

zoho.com/invoice/index.htm

j’

the accounting software isnt for me its for one of my clients :wink:  my accounting is done the good old fashioned way of a shoebox and someone elses problem.

won’t it be your problem at the end of the year when you go to do your taxes and can’t produce things for your write offs and other things ? Do you charge hst ?

I doubt that would be a problem.  I think jesus means that he keeps all of his receipts in a shoe box and then gives all his receipts to an accountant when he files his income tax return.

Hitest is correct. Accounting is a somebody elses problem issue. As for HST… depends on the payment method.

Oddly enough most customers seem to want to avoid HST… especially since doing so saves them 20%  :wink:

Eck Simply Accounting works just fine. If you’re an outfit big enough to worry about running off a server you should be using Adagio anyway you cheap slugs.
Someone griped about my till today, it’s old, I’m not replacing it RFN, they can add the taxes together. If you can’t add two things together, gimme your accounting diploma so I can rip it up and toss it in the trash.

I’m more interested in the explanation for a single 12% tax on my JUNE Telus bill on an PST exempt account.

I’m an IT guy not the accounting guy though I’ve been trying to get them to switch for some time… Their reasoning is they do not want to do the data entry part of the switchover. In theory the IT guy should get to choose the software… in practice not so much.

I was involved when the mills here finally made the inevitable switch from AccPac to Adagio.
Holy F*** that’s one expensive program!
The local gas station run by the Band switched too. No other could do what they wanted, Simply & Quickbooks were too Minor League.

Here’s how the HST is hurting: was her day off so they did a ‘girl’s day’ and went to Vanderhoof yesterday. Came back to tell me lunch in the mall, 2 sandwiches w fries and 2 iced teas set them back $26.00 with HST. The extra tax was only another $1.50 but it crossed that magic psychological number and they’ll be doing fewer lunches.
Also caused me to rethink and pull support for the seniors society lunches. Really pissed at their ‘volunteer/community group’ mentality. Currently 50% of the vehicles out for lunch are at their place, they cancelled their Internet I’ve been 50% subsidizing for years to save a whole $15 and came grovelling for free advertising.
When the going rate is $10 - $12 PLUS HST for lunch you don’t charge $5 when the food and labor are free and claim you’re helping anyone. Charge the Seniors $10 for a card, give them $5 lunch and raise the price for everyone else!

I can’t wait to get the hell out of this province. I grew up here and came back to raise a family, but this place is not the same(Rupert and BC). It makes me sad and angry that they abuse the middle class so much. I hope I can sell my house if not it will be the icing on the cake,but at least I will not be charged HST for what the real estate guy does for me. 13% on his commision is a joke,and a blatant robbery by a bunch of fucked up yokles.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
2 sandwiches w fries and 2 iced teas set them back $26.00 with HST. The extra tax was only another $1.50 but it crossed that magic psychological number and they’ll be doing fewer lunches.[/quote]

I can fully appreciate inflation and rising costs but am I alone in noticing that $26.00 is an outrageous cost for two people to have a burger and fries?

I notice the HST ontop of the sky-rocketing prices because I’m not “receiving” anything for this extra money I now have to incur. The government is turning their happy-nickel stories advising the economy is improving but I sure as heck don’t see it. Reduced spending by British Columbians, however small, I would suspect is going to be felt.

I wonder when the economists are going to start publishing numbers?

The Mayor said recently that thanks to the port our economy is starting to come back, must be true, sure looks like it down town!