Re: How are you coping with HST?

Actually it’s the BIG LIE (as that is the classical definition of when you just repeat a statement over and over again until people believe it) that we paid PST in the first place.
Only if we were the end user. If it was a component or for resale we were PST exempt.

So my story is that it costs me 7% more for every component in the computer I build you. But if I buy a machine that assembles them, I get 7% back. The unemployed assemblyman might get to “save” a couple bucks on a new computer.

I agree with you Meep, Ouch!!!  Just the last few days, lunch and coffee, wow, can not believe the difference. Heard that Social Assistance is not increasing, it will be harder on those families and not sure how they will make it now.

OK, I’m ready to dump TEA into a harbour…who’s with me folks!! :smiley:

To date, I’ve got two local small businesses that have lowered their rates between 2-4%.( since July 1st)

All my operating costs including equipment, parts, rent, hydro etc. have gone up and I have to pay HST on so many other things in my personal life that I’ve simply left my rates the same. But I will be increasing them to match accordingly the amount of increased overhead cost I am incurring. Inputted Tax breaks at the end of the year? Who cares…my cash flow is the most important and it dwindles with every sob story I hear from a politician.

An average spyware/virus software repair bill on a personal computer used to be $61.43 after tax (GST only - Software Services) and after HST hit the cost is $65.53. My rent is more. My hydro is more etc. etc. That’s an increase of $4.10. Once I fully evaluate the extra cost I incur in personal and business settings - I’ll raise the rates accordingly. I gotta live too.

Why on God’s green earth would I lower my rates and eat the tax off my rate? Last time I checked ITC rates are still to be set forth for many areas that HST affects…

How about a collective moon?  :imp:

Good call !!! By the truckload!

We’ll stitch and bitch but what more can we do other than sign Bill’s petition?  I watched the news and its nuts…popcorn unpopped, no hst, popped, add hst…two different muffins different prices because of the sugar?  makes no sense to me but it is already hurting me and I can’t imagine what people with small incomes will do…more crime, more hungry people.  When are we going to roar and roar loud at those fat cats who make these decision.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t understand why you would raise the rates you charge customers/clients because your business is charged HST on goods and services that were formerly PST exempt … If you are registered … either voluntarily or because your sales are over the threshold … you claim the HST back as ITCs.

I’m pretty sure that I get the part about “Inputted Tax breaks at the end of the year” … you feel that you may have to raise your rates because your cash flow is affected … okay, fair enough.

ITCs are not really tax ‘breaks’ … they’re tax credits.  Anyway, that aside … I don’t see why you would be waiting until year-end before claiming your ITCs … and be out-of-pocket cash wise in the interim. 

Even if CRA has assigned you an annual reporting period for GST and now HST, you have the option of reporting monthly or quarterly and hence claiming your ITCs more promptly … such that you’re not so strapped for cash that you feel pressured to increase you rates. You can also do those filings electronically.

Anyway, I’m reading quite a lot between the lines and may have mis-read your situation … so I just offer the above as some thoughts, not as criticisms etc.

I agree with what herbie said earlier that the benefits of HST to business that the government has been trumpeting really don’t apply to resellers. HST is a bit of a mixed bag … it probably helps some businesses (esp manufacturers and exporters), provides cash register and bookkeeping headaches but no or few advantages to some (eg retailers) and is just plain bad news for others (eg cafes, restaurants and vendors of junk food and smokes).

The common denominator for all business is that being a pro bono tax collector for government has never been and never will be a good deal … we’re really talking about bad deals, less bad deals and even worse deals, depending on the industry/business in question.

That being said, I sure hope that HST doesn’t become a catch-all excuse for businesses raising their prices … as seemed to happen when GST was introduced.

[quote=“BTravenn”]
Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t understand why you would raise the rates you charge customers/clients because your business is charged HST on goods and services that were formerly PST exempt … If you are registered … either voluntarily or because your sales are over the threshold … you claim the HST back as ITCs.[/quote]

If I leave it as is - my cash flow is affected. If I move to quarterly reporting I incur higher cost for my accountant (labor/time).

Actually the statement “Tax breaks at the end of year,” that I stated earlier was inaccurate - I file bi-annually and I should have stated it’s the GST/HST reporting period as well…

“As was done with the GST” is the keyphrase we should take note upon. All we can do is watch the trends forming in the next few months or until the HST is defeated and (for those in agreement) aid the Anti-HST campaign.

[align=center]http://217.112.82.13/~choose/hst/hst.gif
More details of the legal proceedings from the Anti-HST group[/align]

Highlights:

I love the fact that businesses in Prince Rupert are starting to pass on reduced costs to the consumer. I’ve counted four businesses to date.

I haven’t been buying that much more so really haven’t noticed too much of a decrease in my pocket, yet, but I bought a new pair of headphones at the Source yesterday and noticed the EHF charge.  Had never seen that before or just didn’t pay attention  :neutral_face:

Really? That’s great. Name which ones.

so I name them…then what?? I know…let HTMF slam them! 'nice try Meep, give your head a shake!

Just out of curiosity why would anyone “slam” a company that was trying to save the consumer money and doing it out of their own pocket?

I apologize if this sounds rather direct but I find it non-sensical that in a topic about price-raising and over-taxing that named, specific instances of price-lowering would be criticized.

This topic is all about the HST and “How you the consumer…” is coping with the HST. I have been hard pressed to see the economic sense of burdening the tax-payer even further amidst a hard-hitting recession and evidence of the government’s blunders with the HST can even be seen the BCLC BC Liquor (LCLB)  queitly raising their prices on alcohol (reportedly) ontop of the HST.

Those businesses won’t be criticized - quite the contrary I believe. So, an abrupt rebuttle to the “give yer head a shake” comment would be:
-------
"Perhaps you should evaluate your positive comments about businesses lowering prices and provide the specific names so that anti-HST folks and those unaffected by the HST can fully support the businesses that have been able to lower their prices amidst many businesses that cannot.
-------
It also further validates your post stating that there are businesses lowering their prices. See what I mean?

No disrespect  Podunkian one, but the users on this site have been known to slam restaurants/hotels, the service industry, you name it.
From your statement"…doing it out of their own pocket?" it sounds like one should sit and talk to an accountant/ bookkeeper from various businesses and see if this is the case. You’ll find it is not. 

The financial people I’ve been communicating with assure me that they are not in the habit of giving percentages to the consumers out of their pockets. Rather, their explanation refers to  remittances (tax) changes to the gov’t.

The situation varies from business to business.

Anyway…It’s not all doom and gloom…contrary to most peoples opinion. The HST is great for the province in a business sense. I know my coffee may cost more, but B.C. will have a better future because of it.

So how many posters’ opinions does it take for you to assume that all of HTMF shares that opinion?

Yeah, I get what you mean. sorry if I came off snarky. I rarely name any buisiness on this site… I guess we’ll find out from other means.