Re: Citytel cell service

Hey we got Rogers service here just this Christmas, and it ISN’T GSM.
Their transmitter is 2300’ above the lake vs Telus’s 40 feet, but due to topography the same area that isn’t served by Telus isn’t served by them either.
Not overly impressed, that’s for sure!

Interesting.  Just out of curiousity what the heck do they use?

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
Hey we got Rogers service here just this Christmas, and it ISN’T GSM.[/quote]

What is it?  Do their phones have SIM cards?  It would be the only part of their network that doesn’t use GSM.

Edit:  Just looked it up, and the entire network is GSM, including Fort St. James.

We have 3 Rogers phones and they hall have SIMs and we have had no problems at all in more than a year.

I had no texting today or yesterday… my msgs finally started to come through after 10pm tonight!

… a very interesting and informative post by TextMessageGuy. One reason why I went with Rogers is because GSM has become the global standard. Apparently one can use their phones in other countries by changing the SIM card. I seem to recall that Telus is switching over to GSM as well.

I am not surprised to read that Citywest is slipping behind in terms of internet service. When travelling back and forth between here and areas served by Shaw and Telus I have noticed that the internet seems to be consistently faster elsewhere.

I think the Citywest board meetings (like so many others in this town) are closed, so there may be no opportunity to ask about why they did not put in a GSM network.

I recall that Jacko ran on a platform of selling off City assets to get out of debt and improve deteriorating infrastructure - he seemed to know what he was talking about on those issues and that was one reason why I voted for him - but the possibility of turning the City’s investment in Citywest into cash, the City’s largest saleable asset by far, seems to be unthinkable.

Once again I have no cell service.  It went off about 5-10 mins ago.

switch already …lol… really if your having that much trouble its time to go to Rogers or pay as you go…

citywest is having a lot of difficulties whether or not they are the problem its a shame… I think there is a compatibility issues with other networks.

I have switched 2 of my 3 phones to Rogers and pay as you go. I’m not sure if I will keep my third cell phone with citywest when my contract is finished.

Smartass wish you luck…

Likewise, I have no citytel cellphone service :frowning:  I hope that there isn’t anyone depending on there cellphone.  I am sold.  Loyalty can only be depended upon with adequate service, so many times we are expected to buy locally but don’t expect good service. 

Get a new phone at Eastwind, or at 7-11.  Both are just as “local” as Citywest.  Since Citywest keeps blaming Bell for the “network problems” then it is obvious that Citywest really doesn’t have any say in how the network is run. 

It’s not “local” anymore.  No more than Eastwind or 7-11.

Good call Citywest!

I’m canceling my contract tomorrow, and I’m going to yell very loud if they tell me that I have to pay to get out of a contract!

With GSM you’re also not stuck with a phone until your contract expires.  You can just swap out the SIM into another phone at any time.  That’s how some of us had iPhones in Canada before they were available here.

As for Citywest, I dumped my Citywest phone last year when it didn’t work for a week straight.  People would call, but it would never ring.

I guess I don’t depend on my phone enough to care. Add to it that I absoloutely hate using the phone instead of talking to a person face to face.
I hate texting, I do it once and a while, but it’s the annoyance of the bleep bloop bleep every five seconds, if it’s that important they can call me. land line or whatever.

Citywest is fine for me, problems or not.

To give an example of Citywest’s texting problems, on Saturday I sent a message to a Citywest phone just after 1pm and they received it around 9 pm Sunday night - 18 hours to deliver the message. 

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]Citywest is fine for me, problems or not.
[/quote]

Perhaps you don’t care about Citywest’s problems.  That’s fine.  Perhaps you’re ok with crappy service.  Most customers aren’t, though.

I’d say most in Rupert do care about the fact that a lot of our neighbours work at Citywest, and they’ll soon be out of a job because of the decisions of Citywest management.  Every time there’s an outage, every time some new person walks into Eastwind in frustration, those Citywest employees must really feel it.  They’re that much closer to being out of a job.

Surely you care about them?

you think yelling is gonna get you anywhere? you signed a contract. everything you do at your job is it perfect .? jeez stop and breathe a little

While I agree that yelling probably won’t do anyone much good, you probably are wrong in your interpretation of the “contract”. 

If the provider of telecommunication services is not able to provide adequate and reliable service I would think that would void any contract signed.

Beyond that, keeping someone to a “contract” when you can’t provide the service that you said you would is probably pretty poor public relations, would suggest that they would be better off refunding the account and wishing the customer well, rather than end up in a long protracted loud discussion which would only make more customers aware of the problems of the moment. 

yes but a lot of the times speaking calmly works well. people there work hard and not well enough to be barked at for just doing thier job. just like when i worked in gas stations and people would come in and bitch to me about the price of gas like i had something to do with it . meanwhile i pay the same price as well. but no matter where you are people complain about whatever phone/cable provider have just people here are more vocal because its locally owned and this town is filled with complainers but hey just my opinion  :unamused:

No need to get annoyed with Citywest employees.  They’re certainly not the problem.  They’re having to deal with circumstances that they have no control over.  The network wasn’t down because of a Citywest employee.

I’m not sure that people here are bigger complainers than elsewhere. If people elsewhere complain less about cell service I think the difference is that the market has been more competitive elsewhere for longer than it has been here, so people don’t complain, they just switch. It was not that long ago that Rogers upgraded its service here to the point where there is real competition. 

As for being more vocal because Citywest is locally owned, if anything the opposite may be the case. I think that people here tend to be hesitant to criticize the local brand and a significant employer, but there is a point where “the cold impartial hand of the market place” takes over and one by one we set aside brand loyalty and switch.

I found it really weird today.  I couldn’t phone a number in Port Ed using my CityWest cell?!  WTF?