Re: Cell Phone Madness

Well if the network is forcing every one to Analogue like one of my friends said it is doing then that is the cause, the NETWORK is forcing phones to use Analogue, witch sux because it really drains your battery.

I think perhaps that is the answer that they are mandated to give to us. 
It appears to me that the Rogers announcement of a wireless network all along the highway 16 corridor forced CityWest to switch networks before CityWest was ready.
I wonder if the Rogers network in PR will go live before Christmas?

id rather not have rogers anyways. considering i cant walk into their store front and ask them what the hell is going on with my phone…
id rather not call in… and how am i supposed to call them to talk about my phone if my phone isnt working or some stupid thing like that?

i like to SEE people…

To be honest right now I’m feeling ambivalent towards CityWest wireless.  I will take a hard look at my options when my contract with CityWest expires.  I hope CityWest gets their act together quickly.
Rogers is arriving on the scene very soon.

Citywest needs a pay-as-you go plan that’s as easy (and as cheap) as Fido’s, 7-11’s, President’s Choice, Virgin, etc.

That’s where I see the real competition.  Rogers vs. Citywest is the lesser of two evils – both are companies out to screw you over, make you sign contracts, etc.

But when you compare Citywest to SpeakOut, President’s Choice, Virgin Mobile, etc, then it’s a no-brainer.  Why would you sign a contract to pay more per month (and have your unused minutes expire, etc)?

Pay more, um its more expensive to have a pay-as-u-go phone than it is to have a contract on, if your smart you would pick the appropriate package, the people that get charged overages are the ones that don’t look at there plans properly. I’m on a 50$ month plan 500 min, unlimited evenings weekends with 10$ for unlimited picture/text message. 

TELL Me you can get a 500 min pay-as-u-go, with unlimited PICTURE & Text, not gunna happen.

Me personally, i love rogers, better than RIP you off bell, and OVER PRICED telus.

At work in the Mobile department, i’ve asked some of the guys and most would say that their customers like Rogers better, the packages are better, tech support is better, and yeah just a nicer company to deal with, the only ones that like telus are the ones that need to have a CDMA phone are the ones that live up in the deep mountain, or some one that travels in that one 1k stretch between here and Victoria where they HAVE to have that coverage, my phone works all the way except that one spot on the malihat, but wow, such a hard life to redial the call.

In town there is great coverage for all carriers. pay-as-u-go, was designed for some one that has to have a phone that has no credit or, someone that just needs to make a random call here and there.

My girlfriend has a cell phone on our shared account. Last month’s usage? Somewhere around the vicinity of 20 calls, 10 minutes. A $50/month plan is cheaper than that?

Also, unlimited picture and text would be an extravagance in Rupert.

So you’re paying $50 total?  For how many months are you obligated to pay that?  How long are you locked in?  Do your unused minutes roll over, or do you lose them?

The whole point of not using Rogers (or Bell or Telus) is that you don’t get locked in to paying for something you don’t use.

[quote]
In town there is great coverage for all carriers. pay-as-u-go, was designed for some one that has to have a phone that has no credit or, someone that just needs to make a random call here and there. [/quote]

Someone who doesn’t want to commit to paying a contract for years.

I totally understand that you’re hopelessly in love with the Rogers network.  No need to convince us.  But why do you have to marry it?  Why not just you know, take it out for a date when you want to… and still see other networks too? 

You can still use the Rogers network with any of the GSM pay-as-you-go carriers.  It’s like having the privileges without the messy divorce.

How long are you married to your “excellent deal” ?

I dunno, I’ve never had anything but first-class service from Citywest.

I e-mail them, they reply almost immediately.  They’ve always fixed problems right away.

500 free minutes?  They’re not free if you’re paying $50 for them.  They’re 10cents/minute.  If you go over then you pay a lot more.  If you don’t use the 500 minutes in a month, you’re throwing away money.

Virgin has 10cents/minute, no contract.

Jason, how much is unlimited data on your contract?  Like let’s say you want to use 500megs per month, how much does that cost you?  ($7/month on PC pay-as-you-go).  Seriously, I’d love to know how much you’d pay to use 500megs. That’s probably what an avid youtube viewer would use…

Ok, answered my own question – the price of transferring 1gb on the 3 big networks:

The price is coming down (though Rogers’ price is still high, and not dropping very fast).  Not something you want to “lock in” for 3 years is it?  What happens if you sign a 3-year contract for outrageous data rates now, and they are half the price in 6 months?

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Thanks for your thoughtful replies, MiG. :sunglasses: 
I’ll need to investigate this further. :smile:

Okay, here is a possibly stupid question.  My one year cel contract with CityWest expires in June. 
What happens after that?  Am I required to sign another contract?  Or can I continue to receive cel service from them as a “free agent” able to sever ties with them if and when I choose?

Well from my experience with Citytel they just keep the same contract going until you change it.

Thank you. :smile:

so what youre saying is,

the customer service at city west is bad but at least there IS customer service?

ABSOLUTLY…and they are local persons…supporting our economy.

We can all take that to the bank…

Mcsash,
you dont ever have a cell phone . Why you posting here? You really dont know how much it sucks waiting for and important phone call and its not getting through. Or calling citytel and them saying it will be fixed tommorow day after day.  You crack me up.

What are you saying?    McSASH Doesn’t even have a cellphone?  He’s trolling?  No, say it isn’t so.

Yes MCSASH has a cell phone…MAXIMO…You have my number and can call whenever your little heart desires.

I used to troll for salmon in the 90’s…what do you mean when you say I’m trolling on here?..

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N%20Cedar%20St%20&%20Shaft%20Rd,%20Hazleton,%20Luzerne,%20Pennsylvania%2018201,%20United%20States&ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ll=40.958021,-75.969853&spn=0.001051,0.001929&t=h&z=19&iwloc=addr&om=1