Re: Beware Massive Roadblock

[quote=“mrt”]

[quote=“jesus”]
One word,
no
Thats all you have to say, they have no right to just randomly search your vehicle.[/quote]

If you have nothing to hide what’s the harm in letting them look. Start saying no and police get suspicious.[/quote]

So then you also wouldn’t have a problem with them bugging your phone, right?

So I drove home yesterday, feeling a little bit more confident about my truck… The government agents went up and down my truck, checking brakes, lights, windshied, tires… etc. Turns out my truck is 100% safe on the road… The only thing they suggested was that my winter tires have 25% tread left on them, and be sure to take them off for the summer, and get new ones for next winter.

But it doesn’t matter if your tires are only 0.01% percent taller than their wear bars. Until they hit the wear indicators, they are legal.

regardless… I got a spare set of tires in the garage. Speaking of tires, whos hitting up wing night at solly’s tonight?

The term is reasonable and probable grounds. The constable had reasonable and probable grounds to believe that Eso had drugs in his trunk. Most of the time though if those grounds exist, your ass is already in the back of the police car.

It also has to do with what a police officer would be able to articulate in court. If your vehicle was searched without reasonable and probable grounds and drugs were found, usually they would just be seized and you would be sent on your way. They’re called no-case seizures.

R. v. Feeney is a great example of poor articulation. Prior to the judgment becoming case law police could enter a person’s residence with a warrant for their arrest. When the case went to trial the police officer was asked why he went inside the residence, he stated he had reasonable and probable grounds to suspect the accused was inside. Because he said “suspect” instead of “believe” now police need to confirm that the person is inside the residence, go apply for a Feeney warrant, then enter unless exigent circumstances exist or they’re invited in.

Wooooaaaaaooowwwww!  You said ‘exigent’!

So we’re saying the same thing, right?

Someone saying “No, I’d rather you not search my shit” does not constitute “reasonable and probable grounds”, right?

Yeah we are, but if you don’t have anything to hide, I’d show them anyway since police can be dicks. Or at least politely refuse, nothing worse than an arrogant “fuck off pig, my daddy’s a lawyer and he’s going to sue your ass…” type comment thrown in the mix.

That’s when they start taking a real close look:

“Oh is he? Then he can help you pay the fines for the “N” you forgot to put up, the address you forgot to change on your licence and the front plate you don’t have on. Have a good night sir.”

They’re “after” the young kid who works for me. Went and bought a red Mustang and has been a target for one lady cop ever since.
She saw them start the car in their drive one day and waited for them to pull out. They saw her and tried to outwait her. Soon as they did they got pulled over and charged with ‘dangerously exiting onto the street’ and ‘no N on the car’. When she left they found the N they just put on tossed under the car.

I’ve been pretty lucky, I’ve gotten off with lots of warnings from the popo.

Just saw this in someone’s Slashdot signature:

The only time Ive been really hassled was about 15 yrs ago. Driving to work out in the industrial site one morning, I turned off the highway where Rupert Towing is and out of no where a police car lays into the siren and lights. Freaked the hell out of me. I think he was stashed in the trees where there used to be a little road before the SPCA got built there.

I pulled over, rolled down the window as he came up to me and I said good morning he immediately said step out of the truck. I did then he took my license and checked insurance asked me a bunch of questions like where did I live, where was I going, where did I just come from. He was a bit of an asshole about it, almost being a bully. He had me pulled over for about 30 mins. He sat in his car probably running me three ways for the first 10 mins or so.

He came back and started to go over the truck, went hmmm…a few times went back to the car I could see him talk on the radio, look in some book for another 10 mins then proceeded to write me a ticket for still having studded tires on about a week past when you are supposed to have them off.

I felt kind of humiliated and small after he left. He was not polite at all and just a bit on the assholey side. When I asked why he pulled me over, I just got a dirty look and a shrug like whatever…left a sour taste in my mouth for weeks after that.

Just like any job, the majority of police officers are good people just doing their job.  For the most part they want to make the roads safe for everyone.  Unfortunately, it’s the jerks we always remember. 

Of course I really don’t know about the nasty cops.  I’ve been driving for more than 25 years and have only been pulled over 4 times.  Twice I got a ticket and twice I got a warning. 

I got nailed for studs once, a new transfer from the Coast. There was still so much snow around, you were driving on ice as soon as you left the highway.
I raised so much shit (well actually it was more like, you really should call in first you’re kind of new here and no one changes tires until it’s gone) he did call in and changed it to a 10 day warning.
GD it if it didn’t snow like a bugger around May 15 and cost me $60 tow to get out of my gf’s driveway…
had to try "Modify"
I should add the kid with the Mustang is regularly harrassed (his older brother is ‘known’) and gets pulled over by the same lady cop every time she sees him. She even searched his car under pretence of a “Moose check” in front of the highschool, and knowing well there’s a subwoofer in his trunk so you couldn’t fit even a nose or tongue in there.
On thurs I was coming down the hill and he was in front of me showing off, going 120 in  a 80 zone and being followed by a friend in a truck. As I rounded the curve, I saw this truck pull out of a side road right in front of the guy following. That guy had to swing into the other lane to avoid a Tbone.
Guess what, it was the lady cop, off duty and trying to make a point. Thats BS. That’s dangerous driving. Both kids were slowing as the town limit was just ahead, but someone could’ve been killed.

Yes I know most of them are good, regular folk. Ive been friendly with a few that have been stationed here over the years.

I been pulled over about oh maybe 5 or 6 times in my 22+ yrs of driving, but he was the one I remember the most as he really seemed to be going out of his way to be a jerk.

:unamused: I will not let you search me or my car whether there is something to hide or not. If you were to search my car without my consent I would be contacting a lawyer afterwards.  As long as I am not harming anyone the police/government shouldnt be involved in my private life.

You say if you have nothing to hide so you would let them search your car because its easier.  Would you let someone follow you with a video camera 24/7 instead of telling them to fuck off?  I mean you have nothing to hide right so why not it is easier right?

So what you’re saying is you’re a nosey fuck and when i say no you cant go through my private/personal things you will get mad and spend your time trying to find things you can fine me for so you can say haha i got you good you fucker?

That just shows how much of a true cop/child you really are farva.

The worst I ever met was the bastard who took what looked like a doobie from his shirt pocket, tossed it on the floor of my car with all of us watching and said "What the hell is that?"
Then while my friend and I were handcuffed in the back getting a free ride to the Burnaby copshop, he couldn’t keep his mouth shut and had to say “Don’t you hippies ever take a fucking bath? It stinks in here!”

Which made my friend reply: “I guess it stinks, there’s two <<<<NO DON’T SAY IT AL! DON’t>>>… in the front seat”

ouch ouch ouch ouch.
Cavity searches don’t hurt all that much.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
Cavity searches don’t hurt all that much.[/quote]

That one’s going in the signature.

bwaaaaahahaha any souveniers? maybe the glove and a polaroid?  :laughing:

Ya never know, one of those goatse pics might be scans from then…