Re: Aug and wolf sighting will be on the rise

Every year In Aug the pack of wolves start to come in to town more often, I have already received reports of wolves been spotted  in and around the town. The wolves have been staying close to the den site since the pups were born back in March, April.

The Pups are big enough to travel with the pack, and the Pack will be introducing the new members to the area.

There have been a few wolves killed over the last 6 months in and around Port Ed. Stacey and Myself have not had the time to track and photograph the wild coast wolf, but we are hoping next year we will have a boat and will be looking at the other packs that live in the area.

kaienislandwolves.com

Great!  Just what we need.  An increasing wolf population.

My uncle shot a wolf recently. He didn’t need a special license or season either. Just a normal hunting license. So if you have a problem with the wolf population, do your part!

I think you do need a license to use a reflexive pronoun that way, though, astrothug.

Great idea except there is no hunting allowed on the island. 

The Government of BC is looking at protecting the coastal wolves as they are becoming endangered. there is less then 500 on the coast of BC, the coastal wolf is genetically different then the wolves found in the interior and are more threatened by the exploits of men; by over logging, over hunting and over fishing. These wolves eat fish and other crustaceans that are found on the beaches.

There is delicate balance between animal, plant and micro-organisms in our ecosystem; taking out one species  has a direct negative consequence on the rest of the environment.

So by focusing all your negative hatred on one species will not solve the problem. 

[attachments over a year old automatically deleted]

I stand by a previous statement that I made, ages ago, in this forum.

We live in basically the wilderness, we look at it’s natural beauty every day of every week of every month of every year. Everyone agrees this town is absolutely gorgeous and natural, if we want all of that, then why aren’t we willing to live in harmony with the nature around us?

Yes I realise that having wolves around is most definitely a dangerous and concerning thing. But we wouldn’t have to worry as much if we all stopped giving them handouts and such, they’d have a proper fear of man, just like any thing in nature you find off of this island.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
But we wouldn’t have to worry as much if we all stopped giving them handouts and such, they’d have a proper fear of man, just like any thing in nature you find off of this island.[/quote]

I’m not going to make any statements on this topic other than this post.  I agree with you to a point.  Wild carnivorous animals living among us in a confined location such as Kaien Island is concerning to me.  As mentioned long ago, I admire and appreciate the positions of many on the topic.  I am also concerned that the activities of some who have posted and have had pictures published of themselves within an arms length of these wolves goes against the exact point that you are making above.  Wolves should fear man, not be comfortable among them, especially so close to community such as ours.  Those who are passionate about these animals should be able to appreciate and be aware of that. Nuff said.

well said bubbasteve735 :smiley:

I realise that having wolves around is most definitely a dangerous and concerning thing. But we wouldn’t have to worry as much if we all stopped giving them handouts and such, they’d have a proper fear of man, just like any thing in nature you find off of this island.

Both of the wolves that I have ‘run into’ on this island have had a very healthy fear of man.  But - I agree with you - stupid people leaving things out where the wolves can smell it and follow their noses into town need to get a brain.  I’d be willing to bet that those people that whine loudest about the possibility of wolves coming into town are the ones that haven’t figured out that their yard holds tasty treats for them.

I would like to challenge this notion of “their yard holds tasty treats for them.” At least the understanding of it, I think the wolves come into town and on the island in order to find easy prey. In other words pets and feral cats and habituated deer.

I heard the wolves howling again the other night towards the mountain. What an amazing sound!

Been in Rupert for 11 years now, and still have not seen one single wolf.

:unamused: Right, because the words ‘tasty treats’ couldn’t possibly mean small animals and deer.  :unamused:

lol, ok, never thought o that… nvm.

Hee hee - glad it at least made you laugh… :wink: