Rainbow Summit

Far too often we her of accidents on the highway, and often Rainbow Summit. I have driven this highway for my entire life. I feel comfortable driving it. However at Rainbow Summit, no matter what vehicle I am driving. I still find that with the turns, the pull from the decline of the road, and driving the “posted” speed limit, that it is one of the more awkward section to drive. And I think I am a compitent driver.

I would like to know if there would be support for there to be a lower posted speed limit. Say 70 Kmh or maybe even 60 kmh. Yes people will still go over it, but it will give new drivers, and not local driver who do not know the road ahead an idea of what to drive.

Also from memory there are long stretches with little or no barriers on the cliff side, I for one would give up “prestine view” to save even just one life.

We all know that road signs and other measures will not prevent poor choices which cause unfortunate results. But my hopes are that we can effect some change.

I drive 100 max on that stretch and I find it manageable, so 80 or 90 should be fine.

Just upgrade safety by adding barriers on the shoulder, rumble strips if it not had one, and even add a centre median barrier with passing lanes on hills. Also disallow passing on the two lane stretch where you have a less than 500m of safe sight line to do so. Not saying H16 should be a carbon copy of the new Sea to Sky highway or the 4-laning on the Caribou Highway, but rather upgrading to the highest safety standard while maintaining the speed limit of 90.

Excellent post and thread Expat, along the part of the Hwy. where this most recent very tragic accident occurred, over the past few years there have been several other vehicles gone over the edge here, and it is very steep, rugged and dangerous, and is an obvious place to have concrete barriers erected to protect this from happening, I don’t know why this has not been done already a long time ago.

Would be much better to upgrade the barriers and ensure the center-lane grooves to “wake” drivers are doubled or (I can’t remember if this area has the groove-system) put in.

The whole highway needs desperate attention. There are spots on this stretch of highway where its do or die. I’d even take potholes for a couple more years to spend the money on barriers near steep embankments and to give drivers a barrier between themselves and the Skeena River.

…Simply because people will speed against highway sign anyway. This would help protect them going slow or fast, in winter and on ice. Something that is desperately needed. And what about the inner ponds on the left when you’re driving eastbound? I do believe a man lost his life after his vehicle rolled over and landed in one of the ponds. I could be mistaken on that one.

I don’t think the speed should be reduced, but I definetly agree about putting in barriers for the entire Rainbow Pass area.

In the winter, 90km is obviously too fast sometimes, but in the spring/summer/fall 100km seems more appropriate.

So keep at 90 but add the barriers for sure.

60km is WAY WAY to low for this area.

Stopping Distance in feet, based on optimal tire friction. This is with very good high rated tires. With Human Reaction Time/Distance (HRT/D) of 1.1 ft per kmh

60 kmh = 150 ft + HRT/D (66ft) = 216 ft

70 kmh = 205 ft + HRT/D (77ft) = 282 ft

80 kmh = 266 ft + HRT/D (88ft) = 354 ft

90 kmh = 339 ft + HRT/D (99ft) = 338 ft

100 kmh = 418 ft + HRT/D (110ft) = 528 ft

With a lower coefficient ( dropping just 0.1 from 0.8 to 0.7 ) calculated in for just wet weather, again with high rated tires. ( this calculation does not enter in the Gravity effect of driving down a slope ) with Human Reaction Time/Distance (HRT/D) of 1.1 ft per kmh

60 kmh = 172 ft + HRT/D (66 ft) = 238 ft

70 kmh = 234 ft + HRT/D (77ft) = 311 ft

80 kmh = 306 ft + HRT/D (88ft) = 394 ft

90 kmh = 387 ft + HRT/D (99ft) = 486 ft

100 kmh = 478 ft + HRT/D (110ft) = 588 ft

Seems simple, dont drive at 100kmh down Rainbow summit. You are just putting your life, and the life of others at risk.

It seems to me that although the accident was tragic it is a rare event and from my understanding was caused by driver fatigue not an unsafe section of highway. While the highway could use upgrading there is absolutely no reason for a speed limit decrease.

Leave the speed limit add wakeup strips.

[quote=“expat@htmf.com”]Stopping Distance in feet, based on optimal tire friction. This is with very good high rated tires. With Human Reaction Time/Distance (HRT/D) of 1.1 ft per kmh

60 kmh = 150 ft + HRT/D (66ft) = 216 ft

70 kmh = 205 ft + HRT/D (77ft) = 282 ft

80 kmh = 266 ft + HRT/D (88ft) = 354 ft

90 kmh = 339 ft + HRT/D (99ft) = 338 ft

100 kmh = 418 ft + HRT/D (110ft) = 528 ft

With a lower coefficient ( dropping just 0.1 from 0.8 to 0.7 ) calculated in for just wet weather, again with high rated tires. ( this calculation does not enter in the Gravity effect of driving down a slope ) with Human Reaction Time/Distance (HRT/D) of 1.1 ft per kmh

60 kmh = 172 ft + HRT/D (66 ft) = 238 ft

70 kmh = 234 ft + HRT/D (77ft) = 311 ft

80 kmh = 306 ft + HRT/D (88ft) = 394 ft

90 kmh = 387 ft + HRT/D (99ft) = 486 ft

100 kmh = 478 ft + HRT/D (110ft) = 588 ft

Seems simple, dont drive at 100kmh down Rainbow summit. You are just putting your life, and the life of others at risk.[/quote]

I’m no genius in this area but I would bet weight has alot to do with this equation. What’s that velocity times mass equation? If my Honda took 238 FT to stop @ 60Km, I would have ran over countless folks by now.

The barriers would be the equivelant to a helmet. Without a helmet, it wouldn’t matter what speed or circumstance you were travelling - hitting pavement wihtout a helmet when cycling/boarding/walking can kill you. :smile:
Don’t read this anology - it’s very bad. LOL

I’m a relatively new driver. (just got my N last year, finally) And I took my first drive up to Terrace during the summer. I never had any issues with the road. Drivers should know to slow down during a corner. Regardless of where the corner is. Speed isn’t the problem. There aren’t enough safety measures along the highway. Even if you were going 50 K around that corner, if you fall asleep at the wheel, you’re still going to get into an accident. Not to mention, if you’re not wearing seatbelts, it’s going to be even more of a catastrophy.

when your driving a beater car with not so good tires and then you fall asleap, nothing is gonna save you, its just not a good mix, its not the roads fault !

Sorry to be so blunt but seriously, accidents happen.

car-accidents.com/driver-fat … sleep.html

WTF is with the post on brakes? You’re on a fucking highway, you don’t use your brakes except in an emergency or to come to a full controlled stop.
Get to the speed limit and push the goddam button. If you can’t handle it, stay home.

This is turning into a thread about “the” accident. Whether or not it was meant to be a thread about said accident it shouldn’t be a thread about said accident lest it shall be sent to the Wasteland. It’d be great to see posts referencing accident removed.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]WTF is with the post on brakes? You’re on a fucking highway, you don’t use your brakes except in an emergency or to come to a full controlled stop.
Get to the speed limit and push the goddam button. If you can’t handle it, stay home.[/quote]

LOL Herbie, my car doesn’t have a button. It’s the base model, standard transmission. not everyone has the luxury of a cruise control. :stuck_out_tongue:

Uhhh bubba you do not slow down in a corner you slow down before entering it.

I know that! LOL I didn’t realize i needed to be THAT specific. How bout this. Drivers should know they have to slow down FOR a corner. :stuck_out_tongue:

If there’s a big yellow sign with a lower speed posted on it.
Or you’re driving a 1961 Corvair.

Oh hell, pretty much any pre-2000 American car has so little road feel you would get the impression it would roll over and burst into flames if you turned the steering wheel at all without braking… I should STFU. My boxy Vue AWD with redline suspension handles like a Quattro but you can’t feel squat through the useless electric steering. The mini-truck will actually nosedive and lift the rear wheels if you hit the brakes hard with 2 people in it.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]If there’s a big yellow sign with a lower speed posted on it.
Or you’re driving a 1961 Corvair.

Oh hell, pretty much any pre-2000 American car has so little road feel you would get the impression it would roll over and burst into flames if you turned the steering wheel at all without braking… I should STFU. My boxy Vue AWD with redline suspension handles like a Quattro but you can’t feel squat through the useless electric steering. The mini-truck will actually nosedive and lift the rear wheels if you hit the brakes hard with 2 people in it.[/quote]

LOL Video or it didn’t happen! :stuck_out_tongue:
It looks hillarious in my head…