Radioactive materials transported through town?

Yes we do. It’s called Ajaye.

Ding ding ding vallid concern not fucking retarded nimbyism

By Pass route seems the best solution

Part of the Official Community Plan: princerupert.ca/images/editor/Fi … ne2010.pdf

(flames moved to Wasteland, including the video I posted in jest.)

Did anybody get concrete answers to Chalk’s original questions?

What was transported through Prince Rupert?

What are the requirements for this kind of transportation? Does the public need to be informed? Is there somewhere that permits are listed?

As with the Macmillan smell, business and the wishes of the community don’t need to be mutually exclusive. Maybe there’s a better time to transport this stuff through Rupert, or maybe a better route, or whatever. But that kind of debate starts with public knowledge about what’s being transported.

i wish you’d keep it right here Mig

Just speculating, but I don’t think those are nuclear fuel rods. spent nuclear fuel rods are transported in casks that look like these: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spent_nucl … pping_cask

I haven’t found a photo of what an ‘unspent’ fuel rod container would look like.

Nuclear stuff has to be crash-proof as well.

According to that wikipedia article, if they are fuel rods, regulations actually prevent the disclosure of schedules and routes.

[quote=“MiG”](flames moved to Wasteland, including the video I posted in jest.)

Did anybody get concrete answers to Chalk’s original questions?

What was transported through Prince Rupert?
[/quote]

The port authority says they were uranium fuel rods from China. Here’s some more information on the cargo:
bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 74374.html

Due to the concerns of citizens, the City of Prince Rupert must now give notifications each time when cargos of bananas arrived within corporate limits and into local grocery stores.

So, according to responses to my metafilter question, they are most likely uranium hexafluoride, as shown in this photo:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76069/dynamic/2011/06/uraniumhexafluoride.jpg

Are they to be carried all the way to South Carolina on the back of a truck like that? Doesn’t seem too safe. Why not land them at a port on the East Coast, near South Carolina? 5500 KM via road?

More info, and a photo of a typical cylinder at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_hexafluoride

By the way they’re being transported, they may just be the empty containers, on the way to the nuclear plant to be used to store the material for later transport. Empties, as it were. Certainly no security present, which you’d expect for nuclear material.

But then why would they be marked as radioactive?

Not economical to ship from China to the East Coast perhaps (even via Panama). And probably didn’t want to risk getting hijacked by Somali pirates, or having environmental activists shitting their pants if it sailed through the Northwest Passage in the Canadian Arctic.

shhhhhhh don’t tell ajaye but the nuclear fuel rods are for that super secretive nuclear power plant that was built while he was on vacation, the royals are secretly flying into Rupert to officially turn on the plant

Phase 2 of the Port Expansion includes a By-pass road that will wrap around the other side of Kaien Island and connect to the industrial road out to Ridley Island…so that should solve the traffic problems down 2nd (but of course Phase 2 needs to happen for that to occur).

Also, as for the original complaints…I say get over it…the port follows all safety regulations, more than you probably know about.

wow, maybe if your afraid you could try the duck and cover method popular in the 50’s. strange don’t see any comments on the high explosives the usa sends to alaska by rail and bardge.