Pulp Mill

So as the end of the year nears and I see that there is no pulp being made does this mean that the land that the city sold to the chinese reverts back to the city and they also owe a bunch of tax money ????

Oh no the pulp mill issue…
tear it down, steam roll the thing…  its been over for a long time…
The city got taken by the smart Chinese…

Th deal that the city made with the Chinese was contingent upon having an operating pulp mill by January 2008.  If the mill was not operational by then the deal would be null and void and the full tax rate would apply.  I would assume that the city’s legal counsel is working long and hard behind the scenes in preparation for the New Year.

Oh, fer pete’s sake. Anyone who ever thought the Chinese were actually going to pay union wages for crews to bring the whole operation up to environmental standards - then pay union wages to run the blasted thing - was absolutely fooling themselves.

Paying full tax rate is not even peanuts next to what they would have to pay to run it in Canada.

It doesn’t really matter what anyone thought about the intentions of the Sun Wave group. The fact is that they have an agreement with the city which is based upon an operating Pulp Mill.  If they don’t hold to their end of the bargain then they better start forking out some cash. 

I think it’s hilarious that the City of Prince Rupert is subsidizing the government of China.

We pay more for our taxes, so that the Peoples Liberation Army (which now owns the Pulp Mill), can be tax-free. 

And if there is no intention of doing anything with it why are they still paying all the bills ? And why are they keeping a security,firewatch personnel there ? Is it because they are independently wealthy and just like us ???

[quote=“ismellfish”]
It doesn’t really matter what anyone thought about the intentions of the Sun Wave group. The fact is that they have an agreement with the city which is based upon an operating Pulp Mill.  If they don’t hold to their end of the bargain then they better start forking out some cash.  [/quote]

I have no doubt that they will start paying what they agreed to - I say again - it is nothing to them.

I’ll bet that all of the Watson Island facility is worth more as scrap metal anyway.

**Welcome to

[size=4]Watson Island Military Region, People’s Republic of China

Watson島軍事區域,中華人民共和國[/size]

[align=center]http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/c/cn^.gif

:smiley:[/align]**

The City didn’t sell the mill to the Chinese, it was the Province who took the $5 million and ran with the money that rightfully belonged to the taxpayers of this town.  The Province is laughing, first they sold it to Big Dan and flipped it over to the Chinese.  These two transactions should show you how smart our Council really is…