Public meeting on new cultural pavilion on Tues

The Prince Rupert Port Authority and the Chiefs of the Lax Kw’alaams and Metlakatla bands announced plans last week that could see a cultural pavilion constructed on the Prince Rupert waterfront. And now Rupertites will get to have their say.

A committee has been formed to conduct a feasibility study for the new project and meetings with community stakeholders from Metlakatla and Lax Kw’alaams were held last week. The committee will be holding a meeting to gather input from the Prince Rupert residents and businesses on the project.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 41828.html

Date: Tuesday 22 February 2011
Venue: The Islander Hall
150 6th Avenue West (opp. Library)
TIME: 1.00pm

Aw geez. Could be great. One small drawback though. Wouldn’t something like this possibly involve school-age children being in the area? We have learned from some Cow Bay merchants and Mayor Jack that school-aged children could be in danger if they were to be around the Cow Bay area.

If the port wants to spend some money in town maybe they could put it into something that would actually benefit the community like a rehab centre or halfway house/shelter??? Or something like a transition house for men???

You hit the nail on the head with that comment, I agree!! Why do we need a cultural pavilion money can go to needed things, you have my vote if you want on city council.

If self-promotion is the essence of this centre then go at it. If meeting the needs of people in distress is the goal then it misses the target group.
What is the point of this exercise and expense? To provide work for a Maori?
Why not just help fund the Northern Museum that already promotes Pacific Northwest Coast culture and artifacts?

[quote=“dabbledon”]If self-promotion is the essence of this centre then go at it. If meeting the needs of people in distress is the goal then it misses the target group.
What is the point of this exercise and expense? To provide work for a Maori?
Why not just help fund the Northern Museum that already promotes Pacific Northwest Coast culture and artifacts?[/quote]

Go to the public meeting and find out why.

[quote=“northernguy”]

You hit the nail on the head with that comment, I agree!! Why do we need a cultural pavilion money can go to needed things, you have my vote if you want on city council.[/quote]

No idea why you make this a city council issue, they are but bystanders it would appear on this file.

Most likely the pavilion is just part of the accommodation between the Port and Lax Kw’alaams and Metlakatla, all part of the process of moving forward with Phase II of the container port.

Hence why there is no City involvement for the most part as it has little to do with them and more about the dialogue between the three groups mentioned above.

The cultural pavilion will be on land the Port controls near as I can tell, it’s probably one of the items of discussion as they seek to develop the ports other business plans.

Though it may be a case of closing the barn door after the horses have left when it comes to the Cruise industry, be interesting to see if the project moves forward and results in a return of cruise ship traffic and if it helps the Phase II negotiations go along in a more accommodating fashion.

To take an idea I heard from the vlogbrothers on YouTube, we’ve got two options if we want to make the world better:

a. Decrease world suck.
b. Increase awesome.

If we spend all our time and money decreasing world suck, there’s nothing awesome. It’s like two soccer teams staying around their net and the ball remaining untouched–yea, you successfully stopped suck from happening, but sometimes it’s better to take the ball and do something awesome.

[quote=“eccentric”]

To take an idea I heard from the vlogbrothers on YouTube, we’ve got two options if we want to make the world better:

a. Decrease world suck.
b. Increase awesome.

If we spend all our time and money decreasing world suck, there’s nothing awesome. It’s like two soccer teams staying around their net and the ball remaining untouched–yea, you successfully stopped suck from happening, but sometimes it’s better to take the ball and do something awesome.[/quote]

I guess it depends on your point of view. Knowing the difference a drug rehab centre or transition house for men would make in this community I believe it would increase awsome. Better lives, healthier community. If it happens to decrease world suck at the same time that’s OK too. Sometimes you have to look at priorities.

I can’t say that for a cultural centre. And I can’t see how a building is going to increase tourism or bring back the ships or improve the city or the lives of its citizens.

Okay was a little slow on this one, it’s a way for the port to suck hole to the first nations to get what they want. I can’t see it making any difference to tourism, it takes more than a building to do that…