Prince Rupert You Tube

I even heard that they named the band “Trooper” in memory of one of the band member’s father who, althought he never met the man, heard from his mom that she got pregnant while the US troops were stationned in Prince Rupert. 

LMAO :sunglasses:

The narrator of the video never actually said that the song diffinitively was about Rupert.  In fact, he says that legend has it that the song was about Rupert.

I think the point he was trying to make was that, even if the song wasn’t written about Rupert, it fits the town’s mood and atmosphere very well nonetheless.  And in the end, isn’t that what matters?

I have to take back what I said…My husband agrees with mig…it was the song santa maria that was written about rupert…

Wanted to post earlier, but didn’t want to interfere with the derailment.  lol

Great YOUTUBE video.  I dont know the artist, but its a terrific job well done.

writerbroadcaster.com/WordPress/ … hp/?cat=12

Is the snippet:

"Because despite being a rock legend, Ra really did seem to be a decent fellow, sounding intelligent and informed during the show. In fact, he seemed like such a nice guy that I did something I don’t usually do. When the opportunity presented itself, I separated him from the mix and spoke to him down the line. I just wanted to thank him for the music. He said, thanks man! and then I asked him if there was a story behind “We’re Here For a Good Time, Not a Long Time,â€

On topic: That was a great video from Brandon Pond. My family viewed it, several times even, and we feel many of the things that he said. To us, it has a big city feel, but we have that small-town attitude. Exactly something that I agree with whole-heartedly. Oh and, the four-seasons effect makes so much sense: Rain, Cold, Sunny, and Stormy happens a lot from what I remember.

Yes, the video is well done.  Any former rupertite who liked the city will feel something when watching it.

[quote=“Abysmalia”]
it has a big city feel[/quote]

How Big of a city are you talking about?

Terrace big?

Yeah, I have to agree.  Rupert always felt small to me.  You could hardly say that it has a “big city feel.”  The city I live in now has about 100,000 people in it, and even that hardly feels big city.  Then again, once you’ve been to a place like Vancouver or Tokyo I guess it’s tough for a place like Rupert to measure up.

And I don’t think being a small town is necessarily a bad thing.  I know plenty of people who have lived in the real “big cities” and hated it and went back to Rupert.

Still, I think that Brandon was really stretching it there when he made that statement.

ok ok im not going to read all of the posts… but i know FOR SURE that the song here for a good time WAS NOT written about rupert… or anywhere near here for that matter…
awhile back I emailed them off their site and their response was that the song was written in VANCOUVER because they needed a few more tracks for their next record
the song Santa Maria WAS written about paddy greens boat and the trip they went on with him
as far as i know… Trooper was good friends with paddy green

:smiley:

It’s time for a thread summary:

a)  The song “We’re Here For A Good Time (Not A Long Time)” wasn’t written about being in the the Prince Rupert area. ( see nauticalpixel’s post)

b)  The song “Santa Maria” was written about being in the Prince Rupert area ( that includes Metlakatla).  ( see many posts)

c) Pond’s video was well done and has a sense of nostalgia.

d) Prince Rupert feels like a big city to some but not others.

e) Podunk and I were having ** a good time ** writing stories about the songs.  Thanks for starting this Podunk.

My pleasure, my only regret is that we were getting into the really obscure B side stuff, and well if I haven’t heard the song, I sure as hell can’t make fun of it. Well I could but it just wouldn’t be the same…

Kind of sad all the fun petered out… But it was getting to the point where we were going 
round, round we go.

Maybe somebody can pick up on the Stones next, a much larger library to choose from there…

Since we now have the youtube tag working, here’s the video that sparked this thread:

Hey, we’re the dudes that made that video way back when.
Here’s the official statement we got from Trooper themselves on the subject of My Prince Rupert:

*"Although ‘We’re Here for a Good Time’ makes reference to a ‘rainy city’, it was not written about PR, despite the decades of rumours to the contrary. Good Time was written sitting on Kitsilano Beach in Vancouver.

Now ‘Santa Maria’, on the other hand, WAS written about a boat ride off the coast of Prince Rupert!"*

Even though we’ve heard it straight from the boys themselves, it doesn’t prevent us from feeling nostalgic when listening to this song. The sentiment remains the same and we’ll be enternal believers in that fable.