Prince Rupert Readers

I have set up a facebook page where people can talk about books they have read. I know we can do that here, but I thought it a good idea to a have a site dedicated to just books. Right now it is in its infancy and it may fail, but for now have a look and feel free to post.
facebook.com/pages/Prince-Ru … 57?sk=wall

I screwed up with this site, creating a page instead of a group. This is the new group page.facebook.com/groups/389773194384249/

If you want to join just ask.

The public library has access to multiple copies of a number of books for book clubs. I ordered two titles and they are now at the library. As noted in my previous posts I have created an online book club/discussion group on facebook. You can go to the group page and ask to become a member and I will add you. facebook.com/groups/389773194384249/ If you want to participate with one of the multiple titles then go to the library and ask for one of them. We have them for a month.

These are the summaries of the books from amazon.

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin
In the late 1970s, Larry Ott and Silas “32” Jones were boyhood pals. Their worlds were as different as night and day: Larry, the child of lower-middle-class white parents, and Silas, the son of a poor, single black mother. Yet for a few months the boys stepped outside of their circumstances and shared a special bond. But then tragedy struck: Larry took a girl on a date to a drive-in movie, and she was never heard from again. She was never found and Larry never confessed, but all eyes rested on him as the culprit. The incident shook the county—and perhaps Silas most of all. His friendship with Larry was broken, and then Silas left town.
More than twenty years have passed. Larry, a mechanic, lives a solitary existence, never able to rise above the whispers of suspicion. Silas has returned as a constable. He and Larry have no reason to cross paths until another girl disappears and Larry is blamed again. And now the two men who once called each other friend are forced to confront the past they’ve buried and ignored for decades.

The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise by Julia Stuart
Balthazar Jones has lived in the Tower of London with his loving wife, Hebe, and his pet, the oldest living tortoise, for the past eight years. That’s right, he is a Beefeater. It’s no easy job navigating the trials and tribulations that come with living and working in the largest tourist attraction in London. The once white-hot flame of Hebe and Balthazar’s love has been snuffed in the few years since their son Milo died, a death for which Balthazar blames himself.

When Balthazar is tasked with setting up an elaborate menagerie within the Tower walls to house the many exotic animals gifted to the Queen by foreign dignitaries, life at the Tower gets all the more interesting. Penguins escape, a bearded pig goes missing, giraffes are stolen, the komodo dragon sends innocent people running for their lives, and canaries suffer fainting fits. As he attempts to cope with this four-legged invasion and his marriage continues to crumble, Balthazar must confront the secret he has been harbouring about his son’s death, if he wants to save his marriage and his sanity.