Prince Rupert one of BCs most small business friendly towns

The City of Prince Rupert has been recognized as one of the most small-business friendly communities in BC by the provincial government.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 93433.html

[quote=“TheNorthernView”]The City of Prince Rupert has been recognized as one of the most small-business friendly communities in BC by the provincial government.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 93433.html[/quote]

And their success on this topic can be seen up and down Third Avenue!

[quote=“Smurfette”]

[quote=“TheNorthernView”]The City of Prince Rupert has been recognized as one of the most small-business friendly communities in BC by the provincial government.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 93433.html[/quote]

And their success on this topic can be seen up and down Third Avenue![/quote]

LOL@ And their success on this topic can be seen up and down Third Ave!

You made my day smurfette I needed a good laugh…

The bigger laugh is Rupert reconized for this years back a friend wanted to open a store here, but the endless red tape prevented it, they did him a favour considering where Rupert is today, but…

“Business friendly” means writing letters to companies all over welcoming them to Prince Rupert, as long as they don’t plan on competing with existing businesses.

for existing stores and businesses."isn’t to create greater competition

“Business friendly” means some of the highest taxes in the province.

“Business friendly” means shaking down new businesses for “parking” and other requirements that magically go away if you pay enough.

“Business friendly” is having a city-owned and subsidized telecommunications company competing with private enterprise.

If Prince Rupert is “Business friendly” then I’d hate to see what they define as hostile.

Democracy belongs to those who yell the loudest.

If you don’t like your government, you have an obligation as a citizen to challenge it and bend it to your will. I suspect some of you aren’t trying hard enough.

I was quite most of my life. Now that I’m older, I can’t shut up about the injustices I see in the world.

Walk this way…

x

[quote=“DHCollins”]Democracy belongs to those who yell the loudest.

If you don’t like your government, you have an obligation as a citizen to challenge it and bend it to your will. I suspect some of you aren’t trying hard enough.

I was quite most of my life. Now that I’m older, I can’t shut up about the injustices I see in the world.

Walk this way…

x[/quote]

I’m tired of shutting up, I was never good at it. So now I’m trying the younger crowd tactics.
Just cranked up my wireless transmitters to like 28dbm. And a whole bunch, like 6 sitting on the desk with nobody connected pointed every which way.
Having trouble with the smart-meters? AW GEE!!! TOO FUCKING BAD.

I agree that we are a small business friendly town ! After all, we watch them plaster their “going out of business” signs all over their empty windows, we watch them pack up their inventory and we wish them well as they head on out of town ! Friendly? You bet !! I wonder how much of our money they spent on this dumb-ass study !!

Obviously many disagree with the idea that Rupert is business friendly. However, the award was given for a number of reasons and from what I guess to be an independent group. Are we questioning the reasons behind the award?

Maybe we are business friendly. And if we are not, why was the award given?

Again, I am not taking a side here. I am just askin’.

based on efforts to reduce regulatory barriers

LOL what were they smoking, lets see,telling new business’s, ones that actually show up, how many parking stalls they need then charge them $100 per space on public streets which they can’t put reserved on, telling business’s to clean their storefronts for the tourists when they can’t pay down bills or repair equipment, high property taxes, etc etc etc

yep they sure are business friendly, maybe for the going out of business sign makers

Prince Rupert is also business lazy or just plain lazy. We the people have made our bed but we keep blaming everyone because the duvet is crappy and sheets need changing.

No worries though I have the solution. America has a nice bed where that hottie Sarah use to lay. Prince Rupert, Alsaska, United States of America, now that has a nice ring to it. Of course dual citizenship to retain that transit to Terrace to stock up on T3’s, x-rays and such. #winning

[quote=“DWhite”]Obviously many disagree with the idea that Rupert is business friendly. However, the award was given for a number of reasons and from what I guess to be an independent group. Are we questioning the reasons behind the award?

Maybe we are business friendly. And if we are not, why was the award given?

Again, I am not taking a side here. I am just askin’.[/quote]

Not sure why Prince Rupert was so fortunate to win such an award,nor what the qualifications for the honour were.

But it would seem that the general consensus would be that the term “Business Friendly” is not one normally associated with the civic leadership, ask many of the former business people who have closed up over the last few years and that’s even before Wal Mart has painted a sign or rolled back a price.

Hey maybe that’s it, the ability of successive councils over the years to keep them big stores out of the city perhaps was one of the qualities the committee was looking for!